Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 AM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times

Advertisements

My older dog is getting up there in age and I know I need to have a plan set rather than making a hasty decision on the day it would happen.

She is my first dog and I waited the first 19years of my life to finally have her. Been in my life for 10 yrs now and she's been my best friend, through so much with me. The only thing that I can imagine being worse than losing her would be losing my mom.

I just don't know what to plan for. I have ruled out burial as that is way too morbid for me. Cremation is something I am considering, but I'm torn. I realize it's a bit crazy, but I'm sort of considering taxidermy or this freeze dried thing. I'm extremely attached and she is the most beautiful dog. I would love to have her forever just to feel her fur and admire her beauty, but I'm hesitant to wonder how morbid the freeze dry process is? Like what does that term even mean?? Also, having to consider if it will still feel the same after the fact or will I get weirded out?

Are there an other alternatives out there? Has anyone had their pet freeze dried or taxidermied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Freeze dried pets not for me. How about a freeze dried relative you can sit on the sofa? Yeah it will weird you and any visitors out.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:44 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
I understand how much you love your dog, but... When my heart dog passed away, we had his footprint done in a cement kit and I still have his collar. I know its hard to think about your life without your dog, and unfortunately, their lives are very short. I have not and would never consider what you are suggesting though.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
Losing your best friend is never easy. No matter how much you may have planned for it, it will still come as a shock. I could see my Tucker loosing condition when he was 11 years old. Several of his littermates had died that year of cancer. I had a feeling he was next and unfortunately I was right. I've had a lot of dogs but none of them can compare to Tucker.

I have cremated all of our dogs when we lose one. I get a baggie full of their hair clipping first. I have a special shelf with photos of each dog and their urn sits next to it with their dog collar draped over the urn. At Christmas I hang stocking for each of the dogs and the ones that have passed I attach their collars to. It's been 5 years since I lost Tucker but it still seems like yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Just don't know what to do ;(-dsc05846.jpg  

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
I'll be in the same boat as you in several years, as mine is only turning 6 this November. She is the light of my life though and I get chocked up even just thinking of the day she isn't here anymore.
I wouldn't suggest actually keeping her body, I think in the long run it will bother you to have her "around" but not really be there :/

I was planning on getting a nose print necklace made of mine and keeping her collar of course.
CUSTOM PET NOSE PRINT NECKLACES | dog nose, cat, silver | UncommonGoods

There is also a neat site that makes a stuffed friend that looks like your dog, and benefits shelters. Stuffed Dogs and Stuffed Puppies from The Shelter Pups

You could also look into getting a custom painting or other artwork done, or do a professional photography shot and have this pictures enlarged and framed.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
My older dog is getting up there in age and I know I need to have a plan set rather than making a hasty decision on the day it would happen.

She is my first dog and I waited the first 19years of my life to finally have her. Been in my life for 10 yrs now and she's been my best friend, through so much with me. The only thing that I can imagine being worse than losing her would be losing my mom.

I just don't know what to plan for. I have ruled out burial as that is way too morbid for me. Cremation is something I am considering, but I'm torn. I realize it's a bit crazy, but I'm sort of considering taxidermy or this freeze dried thing. I'm extremely attached and she is the most beautiful dog. I would love to have her forever just to feel her fur and admire her beauty, but I'm hesitant to wonder how morbid the freeze dry process is? Like what does that term even mean?? Also, having to consider if it will still feel the same after the fact or will I get weirded out?

Are there an other alternatives out there? Has anyone had their pet freeze dried or taxidermied?

If you have your dog freeze dried/stuffed, it won't look like her, at least the her you remember. I think the fur would feel different.

Frankly, I find the idea pretty creepy. You might too, after you do it.

Try the other posters' suggestions. Or, get her cremated, scatter the ashes in her favorite part of the yard, or keep the ashes in a nice container (better than taxidermy). Consider making a donation to a shelter or rescue group in your dog's name.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Everyone attains comfort in some way however I have always buried my dear friends on my property with a small marker. I don't think I would feel comfortable with one of my dogs stuffed and on display in the house.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I have always cremated my dogs and my wish when I die is to be cremated and have all our ashes mixed together and scattered maybe along the ocean bluffs.

I would find it a bit creepy to have my dog stuffed. It would just be a stuffed animal not your dog as the spirit of your dog would be gone and looking at it day in an out may make grieving harder not easier. You have to learn to let go. Instead keep those memories alive in photos. Make a nice album of your favorite photos and keep the memories alive in stories you tell about your dog. Since I grew up and moved out I have said good bye to 4 dogs and anytime I tell a story about one I can feel that dog sitting right by my side for a few moments.

We all wonder how we will survive the death of a loved on be it a human or a pet as it just seems so impossible but we do. The sun comes up and we go on with life. Do not waste the years you have left with your dog worrying about death as you are cheating yourself out of some life when you do. Death is just a part of life and you may end up saying good bye to quite a few loved ones during your life time it is a sad fact of life that we all one day deal with.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM

107 posts, read 152,138 times
I do for my cats and dogs what I would want done for me when I die...being preserved, stuffed and displayed is not it.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
How about ordering a replica of your dog in a plush? These are really cool. I would consider doing something like this.

Custom Stuffed Animals | Cuddle Clones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs