Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM

132 posts, read 140,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
No, not completely grain free but free of corn, wheat, soy, gluten and GMO free. 3 of my dogs have been on it and so far so good. There has been some talk about Rosemary causing seizures in dogs but nothing has been proven. I called the company and asked them about the amount and they said it is miniscule compared to all the other ingredients. It is used as a preservative.

From the Dog Food Advisor:

I’ve heard rosemary extract causes seizures. Is this true?
Rosemary is frequently used in dog food as a natural anti-oxidant and preservative. It’s also considered an anti-cancer agent. However, we’ve never been able to find any scientific studies linking rosemary extract with seizures in dogs. We’ve only found mention of its potential relationship in humans. And then, only rarely in subjects prone to epileptic seizures in the first place.

An article you might find interesting
Why then? | Truth about Pet Food

You can really drive yourself round the bend trying to find the 'perfect' dog food. I think as long as we don't feed rubbish or feed at the very least a 3 star food, although not perfect by a long shot, you are doing OK. Let's face it, some people really can't afford an expensive dog food but they love their dogs and do the best they can. BUT, a lot of people are also not educated at all about what they are feeding their pets and think they are doing well by buying Ole Roy or the equivalent. Yuck!
Thanks for the article. I literally burned out on looking at different foods. LOL

I agree with you, the people buying Ole Roy types pretty much just don't realize what they are doing. I'm not saying they don't truly love their dog, generally they do. They, for the most part, don't know how nutrition affects health.

Back to your article, why, because people still buy the poorly formulated dog foods. If no one bought them, they would disappear nearly overnight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromSea View Post
Thanks for the article. I literally burned out on looking at different foods. LOL

I agree with you, the people buying Ole Roy types pretty much just don't realize what they are doing. I'm not saying they don't truly love their dog, generally they do. They, for the most part, don't know how nutrition affects health.

Back to your article, why, because people still buy the poorly formulated dog foods. If no one bought them, they would disappear nearly overnight!
My dogs once got sick when we visited a friend and they got into my friend's dog's big bowl of Ol' Roy. Several episodes of explosive diarrhea and a trip to the vet later, it got straightened out.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM

170 posts, read 235,244 times
Quote:

This is a patronizing stance to take. Using something of poor or lower quality doesn't indicate ignorance. Just to use my own experience as an example, I'm currently using a low quality dog food, not because I am ignorant about nutrition or because I don't care, but because it was determined by a trained professional that this particular food is what is best for my dog at this time.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Iams is not a good dog food, but that's your choice. My friend thinks Iams killed his 3 cats...all in one year~!

Acana is too rich of a food for a Yorkie, at least my Vet told me that when my Yorkie had bloody stools from Acana from the start.

Blue Buffalo is not what they say it is. First the food comes from China. Secondly, there is an ingredient in the food that is making dogs sick that they won't tell the public. Lastly, I switched my dog from it when he had issues from it.
Hmmm I hadn't heard that about Acana. A Fromm nutritionist, I called, mentioned something about their, Fromm's, grain frees being too rich for our old 4.5 pound yorkie. He's a rescue, so, we don't know his age. That is probably the main reason I'm looking at Fromm's "Gold" for small breeds, it's not as "rich" and maybe more appropriate for our older/smaller guy. We have two dogs, we use two dog foods. I'd really like to get it to just one but at the very least we want just one brand since they do eat each other's food on occasion. Currently, 2 Wellness foods.

I can't recall exactly what I read, or where, too much protein, or too rich, gave some dogs crystals of some sort in their kidneys?

Blue Buffalo definitely has some issues, just look up recalls and complaints. They also have this odd sales force that rotates through different stores around here. Here, near Seattle, they hire people to go to stores and "educate" consumers... LOL Yeah, they push their products inside of Petsmarts and others. I'd stay away from Blue Buffalo, it's not just the recalls, it's how they have handled the complaints.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
This is a patronizing stance to take. Using something of poor or lower quality doesn't indicate ignorance. Just to use my own experience as an example, I'm currently using a low quality dog food, not because I am ignorant about nutrition or because I don't care, but because it was determined by a trained professional that this particular food is what is best for my dog at this time.
In your case, you are using what your trusted professional has advised for your dog's current health. That doesn't sound ignorant at all. "Trust but verify" the advice of your professional.

How am I patronizing though? I just don't see that. I generalized... I allowed exceptions to the norm or average because every dog is a little different. Am I being too accepting and there fore patronizing? Every dog is different, feed what's best for them, this thread is about selecting new dog food, "how do you do it?". I'm reading way too much and getting burned out on it, you chose to hire a professional to choose for you. Nothing wrong with that at all. Even that stance isn't patronizing. I'd call it acceptance of other's opinions and situations.

If someone walks into the grocery store with the sole purpose to buy the cheapest dog food they can find with out looking at the ingredients.... I still wouldn't say that person hates their dog... It doesn't work that way to me... I would say that person doesn't necessarily know that they could harm their dog by buying the cheapest food, over the long term.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:
Hmmm I hadn't heard that about Acana. A Fromm nutritionist, I called, mentioned something about their, Fromm's, grain frees being too rich for our old 4.5 pound yorkie. He's a rescue, so, we don't know his age. That is probably the main reason I'm looking at Fromm's "Gold" for small breeds, it's not as "rich" and maybe more appropriate for our older/smaller guy. We have two dogs, we use two dog foods. I'd really like to get it to just one but at the very least we want just one brand since they do eat each other's food on occasion. Currently, 2 Wellness foods.

I can't recall exactly what I read, or where, too much protein, or too rich, gave some dogs crystals of some sort in their kidneys?

Blue Buffalo definitely has some issues, just look up recalls and complaints. They also have this odd sales force that rotates through different stores around here. Here, near Seattle, they hire people to go to stores and "educate" consumers... LOL Yeah, they push their products inside of Petsmarts and others. I'd stay away from Blue Buffalo, it's not just the recalls, it's how they have handled the complaints.

Yeah, the do that also where I am at with Blue Buffalo. They have sales reps usually at Petsmart, so I guess it goes on all over. Last night I was at another pet supply store and mentioned what I heard to one of the employees, and she told me she's never heard that and called someone on the walkie-talkie and she told me that none of the food they sell comes from China.

Edit: I also read all over the internet how people had issues with BB. And a friend of mine told me he's seen it on the news about the issues with BB. So who knows "the real truth".

Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Yeah, the do that also where I am at with Blue Buffalo. They have sales reps usually at Petsmart, so I guess it goes on all over. Last night I was at another pet supply store and mentioned what I heard to one of the employees, and she told me she's never heard that and called someone on the walkie-talkie and she told me that none of the food they sell comes from China.

Edit: I also read all over the internet how people had issues with BB. And a friend of mine told me he's seen it on the news about the issues with BB. So who knows "the real truth".
It wasn't me that said that, China! LOL I heard some rumor of some manufacturer using Chinese protein products in food. I don't recall enough to repeat any of that. LOL
It's not the food that comes from China, it's the vitamins and minerals, I've heard most pet foods now contain these... so... an accepted practice????

I did say, avoid Blue Buffalo. There are just too many good foods to choose from, why take a chance with one that obviously has issues. Avoid Beneful right now too for the same reason.

China-Free Dog Food? Don't Count on It

Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I've had two bad experiences with Blue Buffalo and never again! I tried it when my GSD was a puppy and it gave him loose stools. He's now 9 and I tried a Blue Buffalo limited ingredient to see if it would help with the his skin and after 2 bags of it, his lost his coat big time. I'm not talking seasonal shedding but losing guard hairs to the point he looked sick. I took him to the vet and had them run blood work (including thyroid) and it came back normal. When I told the vet what I was feeding he says he sees many dogs who have issues with Blue Buffalo. I've since put him back on Nature's Recipe which I've fed for years.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've had two bad experiences with Blue Buffalo and never again! I tried it when my GSD was a puppy and it gave him loose stools. He's now 9 and I tried a Blue Buffalo limited ingredient to see if it would help with the his skin and after 2 bags of it, his lost his coat big time. I'm not talking seasonal shedding but losing guard hairs to the point he looked sick. I took him to the vet and had them run blood work (including thyroid) and it came back normal. When I told the vet what I was feeding he says he sees many dogs who have issues with Blue Buffalo. I've since put him back on Nature's Recipe which I've fed for years.
I read stories like yours and others, I get this urge to head to the pet store and post "Do Not Buy" signs on the Blue Buffalo products. LOL

Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
As a subscriber to The Whole Dog Journal I get their annual review of both dry and canned foods. It has plenty of very good info about what the terms on ingredient lists mean and how to read those lists, as well as listings of many, many brands and what's in them.

This little journal, just 24 pages each month has no paid advertising and the $29.00 a year subscription is worth it since it is full of great articles on so many topics and I'd recommend to anyone interested in learning more about dogs, behavior, nutrition, training, health issues, etc.

Forgot to mention that current thinking is to not feed the same food forever but to find several different brands and feed each for 3 to 4 months so that over time they get different micronutrients. I think it also helps them to not get too bored with the same old thing year in and year out. If you opt to do that don't forget to transition to the new food over a week to ten days.
\\

Thanks I'm going to subscribe. I always rotate brands as well. I always enjoy selecting healthy pet food for my babies. A trip to the pet store is exciting and much looked forward to for me unlike a trip to the grocery store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs