Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times

Advertisements

Taste of the Wild Grain free is awesome and reasonably priced at around $45.00 for the big bag.

You have a problem of tastes for steak on a burger budget. IT is hard to go GMO free and such when you don't have the $$. Bigger issues exist when your budget isn't flexible enough to afford 10 to 15 bucks more a month for the premium dog food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I don't know why people are so adamant about trying to force other people to embrace gmos and Monsanto.

Monsanto has had so many issues and lawsuits over the years that college courses on ethics use them as case studies.

If someone does not like chemical companies with long histories of corruption, or they don't like their food genetically altered and sprayed by for-profit chemical companies, that is their right as a human being to feel that way.

As for reducing your feed bill, try getting in the habit of feeding all food waste scraps to your animals. Only healthy whole foods that are good for them of course. Think about each piece of food that gets tossed off of your plate, or out of your fridge before trashing it. If it can provide great nutrition for your animals, it can also reduce your waste and feeds costs dramatically while providing fresh whole foods packed full of live enzymes.

I have never found an organic, non gmo kibble that was anywhere near affordable or even worth the price based on the ingredients. I have been feeding Taste of the Wild to many dogs over the last 8 years and hands-down have found it to be the most affordable and the dogs have done the best on it compared to anything else I have tried. This has been my experience feeding it over a long period of time, to man different dogs, pets, show dogs, breeding dogs, puppies, etc. No food over the years has come close to the TOS consistency and great results. This is in addition to raw, and human grade leftovers and kitchen scraps.

If I could actually find an organic and non gmo food that wasn't a complete rip of, I would switch.
Yes^^^

And I'll throw in another vote for TOTW....

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
OP...Earthborn Holistic with Bison, grain free...working well for our GSD. our local feed store stocks it. Check prices at Chew's.com. Victor is good however to rich for our dog...
I just checked out the Victor I feed my dogs on Amazon. I was shocked! The price is $20 more for 40 lb bag than what I pay at my local feed store. That is a lot!

Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I would be careful of salmon since we had a dog that was either allergic or sensitive to it and had a very adverse reaction from it.

Also, has the dog been checked for worms?

Another thought: Welsh Corgi News - Bilious vomiting syndrome

Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 AM

439 posts, read 958,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I just checked out the Victor I feed my dogs on Amazon. I was shocked! The price is $20 more for 40 lb bag than what I pay at my local feed store. That is a lot!
Cabot...I went to Chewys and found their prices for New Balance very competitive. However in all fairness we did not have a feed store...only the big box pet stores to purchase in Virginia where we lived. Also their bully sticks were way cheaper than the stores..

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 PM

385 posts, read 488,792 times
I feed my dog Primal Chicken formula. It's a raw freeze-dried food. It costs me about $13 for 3 lbs. They have duck, rabbit, beef, chicken and lamb I think.

Primal Pet Foods Canine Formulas Raw Dog Food

Old 03-20-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
I feed my dog Primal Chicken formula. It's a raw freeze-dried food. It costs me about $13 for 3 lbs. They have duck, rabbit, beef, chicken and lamb I think.

Primal Pet Foods Canine Formulas Raw Dog Food
I just checked this out as it sounded interesting. I couldn't find the chicken for $13, only $20. If I had to feed my bulldog 2% of his weight, 70 lbs so 1.4 lbs (for inactive dogs) I would be using that 3 lb bag in two days! And that is only taking into account 1 dog. What am I missing here and have I completely misunderstood the instructions? There is no way I could afford that!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 PM

385 posts, read 488,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I just checked this out as it sounded interesting. I couldn't find the chicken for $13, only $20. If I had to feed my bulldog 2% of his weight, 70 lbs so 1.4 lbs (for inactive dogs) I would be using that 3 lb bag in two days! And that is only taking into account 1 dog. What am I missing here and have I completely misunderstood the instructions? There is no way I could afford that!
Oops, didn't read that your dog is 70 lbs. I definitely wouldn't recommend it then. I purchased it for $13 at a local pet shop.

It's really good food but for a 70 pound dog it's definitely too expensive lol.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Oops, didn't read that your dog is 70 lbs. I definitely wouldn't recommend it then. I purchased it for $13 at a local pet shop.

It's really good food but for a 70 pound dog it's definitely too expensive lol.
It sounds like a really good food. Will have to shrink my boys down to Chihuahua size!!!!

Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 AM

685 posts, read 720,379 times
1. I grabbed one link out of … I don’t know … hundreds of websites that were written about the farmers in India. I normally care about the source but when I’m thrown many, many links about something I clearly do not believe, I didn’t care about the source. In Great Debates and sources used there, I will look underneath the GUI (what we all see on the website) and view the actual rendered code. I get great hints as to the validity of the site there. But in a dog food forum, this would’ve been overkill ☺ !
2. AnywhereElse: Marcus is a fluffy Pembroke (and the last of our corgis). He weighs close to 30 pounds. We researched dogs and the normal weight range for a Pembroke male is 30-35 lbs. Cardigans are great, too, and they’re heavier dogs.
3. oregonwoodsmoke: You’re so nice. I appreciate your responses. I think he’s okay on Taste of the Wild. I had to eliminate so many others as I had to keep reprioritizing what was important. The transition occurred the day after I looked at the other thread recommended and received a response from the manufacturer about some unlisted items in their ingredients.
4. L0ve: Your response was so well stated. (I was beyond that as immediate dismissal of knowledge that evolved over about 20 years will do that.) Those discussions about GMO vs non-GMO are likely in Great Debates. In a thread about dog food, that was the last thing I expected. I owe you for that.
a. Marcus gets small amounts of food we eat in conjunction with kibble.
b. It was the grain free and non-GMO criteria that were important with the knowledge that animals grazing could be eating GMO products. But, we do the best we can with what we have.
c. I’ve been researching making him food as was suggested by one of the posters here.
5. Rudydog1: Sounds very much like Canidae and bison is his highest-ranking good food. Good thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs