Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I'm cross-posting this in other boards because I'm looking for multiple points of view. Does anyone on here know what would be a good type of mulch to put in my backyard that would not poison or injure the household dogs (some can give splinters if they're running hard). Also, ideally it would not hold a smell or have a bad smell itself.

Currently, I'm in Denver and I really am tired of having grass because it's high-maintenance and fairly wasteful in terms of resources and money. I love to garden, but mowing grass and making sure it's watered is annoying and expensive, respectively. I'd like to replace all the grass with mulch and planting beds, but I want something that will work well with very active dogs.

There was a very soft and clingy mulch at the garden store last year that seemed like it would do the trick, but I'd love to hear recommendations from anyone who has some experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
I'm not totally sure, but I know pine and cedar can be toxic or irritating, so avoid those. There is rubber mulch, usually made from recycled tires. Might look into that.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Coco Mulch is Toxic Poison like Cho

Pea Gravel would be a good choice Many Breeders use it in Kennels!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I'd go with pea gravel before mulch. i live in a desert climate too and we've always had mulch in the planting beds around the perimeter of the back yard. But it's gone now. We found it to be a hiding place for critters...as in venomous spiders. Also, as we were removing it we found mold deeper down. It just my opinion, but I find it too risky for my five dogs. My French Bulldog was bit by a brown recluse on his chin and it was a long, painful recovery. I'm not saying getting rid of the mulch gets rid of all the bad things...I'm just saying pea gravel seems to be a better option.

I don't like the rubber mulch either, especially if you have a dog that might eat it. It is rubber and could cause an obstruction.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Don't use cedar, cocoa mulch, or rubber. If your dogs might swallow a stone, don't use gravel or rocks.

I use rubber stall mats in small areas that might have mud issue. That fake lawn stuff can be used if the dogs have some place to potty off of the "grass".

I have also used landscape fabric (weed shield) but you have to buy the professional landscapers grade, not the stuff sold at the big box store, and it is expensive.

Maybe put in a large patio and some raised beds so that the lawn area isn't too big. It will be easier to take care of.

I like lawn for my dogs because it cuts down on the amount of dirt and mud tracked into the house.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:28 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I'm not totally sure, but I know pine and cedar can be toxic or irritating, so avoid those. There is rubber mulch, usually made from recycled tires. Might look into that.
No, pine and cedar are not toxic. Take it from a women with a personalized license plate that reads "MULCH". Our dogs eat all kinds of mulch all the time, to no ill effect. The only mulch I know of that is terrible for pets (and terrible in general) is cocoa bean hull mulch. I think Hershey's finally withdrew it from the market.

Jrz, I really don't know what to recommend, because dogs will always disturb mulch when they run around. They'll roll in it, track into the house. Weeds will grow up through it (yeah, they always do), and since all organic mulch decomposes over time (1-2 years), you will always be replacing it.

I have a friend who paved over her back yard because of her dogs, but I don't think you want to do that. But maybe a compressed gravel yard? I have also heard of compressed cedar paths, but I'm not familiar with them.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Coco mulch is toxic. I don't know about the others. I've used pine and cedar in my backyard for years and haven't had issues but as far as I know my dogs don't eat the mulch (they're too busy eating poop and birdseed).

ETA: I've got large pieces of rock (think slabs laid out like pavement) and raised beds in my backyard because I can't grow grass between the shade and the dogs. That combination has actually worked out pretty well in terms of cutting down in the mud that they bring in when it's wet.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
How about rocks/gravel? No splinters, stays put better than mulch, dogs won't want to roll on it, and won't have to replace it every year or two like mulch. Unless of course your dogs pick up and swallow rocks.

I would definitely stay away from the rubber mulch; my dogs use it as a chew toy every chance they get. Fortunately it is small enough and they're big enough that it passes thru but we do our best to keep them away from it as I'm sure it's not good for them.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
No, pine and cedar are not toxic. Take it from a women with a personalized license plate that reads "MULCH". Our dogs eat all kinds of mulch all the time, to no ill effect. The only mulch I know of that is terrible for pets (and terrible in general) is cocoa bean hull mulch. I think Hershey's finally withdrew it from the market.

Jrz, I really don't know what to recommend, because dogs will always disturb mulch when they run around. They'll roll in it, track into the house. Weeds will grow up through it (yeah, they always do), and since all organic mulch decomposes over time (1-2 years), you will always be replacing it.

I have a friend who paved over her back yard because of her dogs, but I don't think you want to do that. But maybe a compressed gravel yard? I have also heard of compressed cedar paths, but I'm not familiar with them.
If the dogs will leave it alone aside from occasional contact from running or walking over it, then it would be fine, but if the dogs dig, lay or ingest it, it CAN cause mild to serious reactions.

"Exposure to cedar pet bedding may cause skin irritation or redness in some dogs. If dogs consume large amounts of cedar and other wood mulches, essential oils and resins may cause vomiting and excessive drooling. Wood mulch may cause bowel and stomach obstructions while sharp pieces may also tear the bowels, esophagus or stomach lining. Excessive amounts may produce the same reactions as chocolate poisoning, causing diarrhea, increased heart rate and tremors. Stomach pumping may be necessary to remedy these intestinal problems."

Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post

Replacing it every couple years is fine by me - it will still cost less in dollars and aggravation than maintaining a sprinkler system and re-seeding all the time. And I have no problem with the occasional weeding or getting it tracked into the house.

So right now I'm kind of torn between pea gravel and a pine based mulch at this point. I think this is enough to get me started when I go to the nursery to talk with the staff and drag the housemate along with me.

I just am sick to death of having this stupid lawn - lawns are easy in Jersey. In Colorado they are a real PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs