Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times

Advertisements

Hi my son and daughter in law own a toy-sized, 2 1/2 year old mixed breed dog and I often "doggysit" for them while they are at work because they work long hours. They don't have children yet, and I'm quite concerned what their dog will be like when they do.

They leave her dog bed here (in our house) for her to lay on. She is very protective of her bed or any belongings of theirs left on the floor beside her bed. She happily allows me to pet her when she is on the bed, and I can pick her up with no problem, but if I try to move the bed or any of their belongings, she is very watchful and suspicious. She growled at me once when I was moving her bed to clean the floor and I sternly said NO!

Any ideas how I can work with her to not being so protective of "her and her parent's" stuff? I'd like to nip this in the bud before they have children because I'm afraid of the dog biting a future child if the child goes near her when she is in her bed or has a dog toy, etc.
Thanks! Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Wish I could help but in all the dogs I have owned I have never had a problem like that. Dash was possessive of food when I adopted him and would growl and snap if I came near his food but it was an easy fix as I stated walking up to him as he ate and would offer him something better from my hand so soon he saw my coming near his food was a good thing and before long was even letting me take food from his mouth if he was eating something that he should not be. He was also aggressive with any grooming or if I had to grab his collar to move him but using food as I had to do those things also got him over any aggression issues and outside of those first couple months he was never aggressive with any person and was in fact very lovable the rest of his life.

The only one that ever guarded things was Jazz as she owned everything in her mind. But she let me and other people touch " her Things" but not other dogs. She loved to play fetch too much to not let people have her things. Dash who was her best buddy was not allowed to touch any toys unless she picked one up and started a game of tug with him I was lucky in the fact that he understood the rules and so we never had fights between them.

Good lucky Your son is lucky to have a mom that is thinking about the safety of any future grand kids and by wanting to help train the dog to deal with things it would have too with kids in the house.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Any ideas how I can work with her to not being so protective of "her and her parent's" stuff?
It's called "resource guarding". A web search will show a lot info on the topic. Here is one
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/resource-guarding-treatment-and-prevention

Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
I think it's a natural instict with many dogs. It comes from nature...
But, that doesn't necessarily mean the dog will hurt the baby. Dogs are gentle and careful with little children, often letting them do what they would never allow adults.
But as others said, it's a problem that can be addressed with appropriate training. There are lots of books, websites, YouTube clips on the topic.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
How does he behave with the Kids Owners? Maybe its you or something your wearing.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It's called "resource guarding". A web search will show a lot info on the topic. Here is one
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/resource-guarding-treatment-and-prevention
Thanks so much for the link! I didn't know there was a name for it. I'll have to give that a try.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How does he behave with the Kids Owners? Maybe its you or something your wearing.
She is ok with them as far as I know, (they are away on a trip right now) but I'll tell them about the link that don6170 posted. This dog has known me since the day they brought her home when she was a young puppy. It has nothing to do with what I'm wearing, and she reacts the same with my husband, so it isn't just me.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I think it's a natural instict with many dogs. It comes from nature...
But, that doesn't necessarily mean the dog will hurt the baby. Dogs are gentle and careful with little children, often letting them do what they would never allow adults.
But as others said, it's a problem that can be addressed with appropriate training. There are lots of books, websites, YouTube clips on the topic.
From what I've seen so far, she doesn't like being around other people's kids, but I realize it might be different when my daughter in law and son have kids of their own.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
She is ok with them as far as I know, (they are away on a trip right now) but I'll tell them about the link that don6170 posted. This dog has known me since the day they brought her home when she was a young puppy. It has nothing to do with what I'm wearing, and she reacts the same with my husband, so it isn't just me.
She probably feels she was entrusted by the owners to keep everything in place while they are gone. Some dogs see it as their duty, especially when the owners aren't present. She may also be guarding HER possessions from potential competitors (like you...Lol). For start, some random clips on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB1Rb1kGxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALpvuFIoZxc

Last edited by oberon_1; 04-22-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 02:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
I can GUARANTEE you as a dog walker and pet sitter that this behavior ONLY escalates never disappears without effort.

The dog is unbalanced. Take her for LONG WALKS and enrichment. (health and weather permitting and building up to her abilities)....It builds the bond of YOU BEING THE LEADER who she can trust. That's only the beginning. IN THE ZONE WALKING, not meandering, sniffing, targeting or being paranoid of other beings or cars yada yada. WALKING. At a good pace.

NO TENSION ON THE LEASH. LOOSE LEASH. KEEP HER BY YOUR KNEE.

Get her brain OFF OF her "stuff" being what she's the most attached to.

Time for a family meeting. ALL OF YOU have to work together to rehab her so she can live an anxiety free life and not make up issues to worry about. IF THEY DON'T DO IT, then your work will regress every time she goes home.

You are correct. And it's all about calm assertive energy and working with her without emotion.

I'm not going to suggest a bunch of techniques it's too tricky. But I WOULD FOR SURE put a harness or collar and leash on her and let her watch me move her stuff and return it. Also subliminal wearing the submissive gear. (but a harness gives you the ability to grab her AND not yank her by the neck if something "happens" - since you probably aren't experienced enough for the collar.)

There are desensitization techniques. BUT THERE HAS TO BE A BOND AND TRUST.

I might also bring her in from a walk and the two of you MOVE THE BED and TOYS to all different areas. Two of you meaning YOU and her on the leash LOL. Then she sees she gets her stuff back.

DO NOT TALK. TALKING SOUNDS LIKE ANXIETY AND EXCITEMENT.

Calmly and non nonchalantly just do it with confidence. With her WATCHING. If she's EXCITED or ANXIOUS she has to sit there till she calms down. ALL FOUR FEET ON THE FLOOR. None of this front paw up in the air ready to go!

Your GOAL is to turn off the BRAIN, not simply make her stop what she's doing for a MOMENT. You must FOLLOW THROUGH until you see her give up the anxiety.

This is the same advise for all nervous and excitable dogs not just the resource guarders who can be tricky. Especially when nobody can see the big picture.

HUMANS OWN EVERYTHING. The burden is too great for a dog to believe they have to be the owner and leader and delegator etc etc.

A German Shepherd Dog is lying in wait to get your checkbook and car keys. You will NEVER get that out of them but they will not act on it if they are balanced unless you are a weak energy follower and need THEM to lead you around through life. hahaha.

That's all I'll say about that.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-22-2015 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs