Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 196,223 times

Advertisements

First up I think I made a mistake buying a dog. It is a huge investment of emotion, time and energy.
My golden retriever is 7 years old. I bought him as a puppy and have loved him so much. Back then I did not have a job and took him everywhere.

I got a job last year and so I am usually away the whole day. I make sure my mother feeds him on time and I take him for a walk for half an hour once in the morning and again after I return. Am I doing enough?
Because lately I've noticed that he has a very dejected look. We live in an apartment and thus he is always enclosed in the house, except for the walk. He sleeps alone outside my room. When my friend came to visit me for a few days he was the one who pointed out that your dog isn't getting the life he deserves.

What does a golden retriever need to be happy? Lots of greenery and nature? When I walk him he is over the moon- exploring, jumping, hyperactive. But obviously I can't do it all the time.
What about the in house activity? Is he lonely or needs more attention or pampering?
Or am I just being sensitive. That's what they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
This is easy. Golden Retrievers are people dogs. Ideally, they do get plenty of outdoor activity, but it sounds like you are doing the best you can. Does your mother interact with him?

I'm guessing your dog misses YOU, since you can't take him everywhere with you anymore. My own Golden slowed down at around that age. We added a Labrador to the house, and it's been rejuvenating for the Golden, but in an apartment that isn't the answer. Our reasoning behind it was the boys were getting older, and leaving one by one to go to school.

Better a Golden who misses you during the day, than one relinquished to a shelter IMO. Love on him when you can.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 PM

91 posts, read 196,223 times
Thanks a lot for that reply Mattie.
No, my mother couldn't care less either for the dog or for me. She is asleep for close to 20 hours in the day. Hence my concern for his being low. It's like I am robbing him of happiness.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
First up I think I made a mistake buying a dog. It is a huge investment of emotion, time and energy.
My golden retriever is 7 years old. I bought him as a puppy and have loved him so much. Back then I did not have a job and took him everywhere.

I got a job last year and so I am usually away the whole day. I make sure my mother feeds him on time and I take him for a walk for half an hour once in the morning and again after I return. Am I doing enough?
Because lately I've noticed that he has a very dejected look. We live in an apartment and thus he is always enclosed in the house, except for the walk. He sleeps alone outside my room. When my friend came to visit me for a few days he was the one who pointed out that your dog isn't getting the life he deserves.

What does a golden retriever need to be happy? Lots of greenery and nature? When I walk him he is over the moon- exploring, jumping, hyperactive. But obviously I can't do it all the time.
What about the in house activity? Is he lonely or needs more attention or pampering?
Or am I just being sensitive. That's what they do?
A golden that loves you is not something to be taken lightly. You don't need to re-home the dog, but you do need to make time for him. He'll endure any amount of boredom for an hour of quality time with you, so give him that much at least. He won't be around forever, enjoy your time with him.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
Your dog is probably slowing down a bit and is bored while you're at work but being re-homed would be far worse. Imagine leaving the only home you know and not understanding the reason. As long as you're there I'm sure your dog is happy. From what you've said it sounds like he enjoys his walks, if you think he's not getting enough exercise, if you can afford a dog walker that might be helpful. Or, if you can convince your mom to walk him that would benefit them both - she needs to get out of bed but that's another topic and forum

Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Is there anywhere nearby where you can take him to "doggy day-care" a couple of times a week?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Doggy day care. Kongs filled with treats when you leave the house. Quality time spent at home teaching him tricks and games - these can be something as banal as touching a nose to your hand on command or hiding food around a room for him to suss out where it is. Take him to the local dog park to play or ask friends who have dogs if you can bring him when you come to visit. Take him on car rides with you.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Yes you are right. Dogs walk. It's what they do. And birds fly, fish swim. Dogs don't "do"pampering they WALK. They want to experience life and for a dog that means with the nose. And exercise to get frustration out for one thing. By walk I don't mean meandering down the block sniffing, I mean WALKING in the ZONE for blocks and blocks or whatever.

A house is a cage and so is a back yard. So thank you for being caring and sensitive to his needs. Just imagine how bored you would be with nothing to do the ENTIRE day, especially after being with you 24/7 for 7 years. Dogs don't watch TV!

I would extend those walks to one hour. I would also hire a pet sitter who is a good WALKER (not someone just to sit around with him) to come in mid day and walk him.

Walking before work will tire him out a little and give him some enrichment/happiness, and same at night. A reward for being patient while he's lonely.

Actually I'd walk him 3 times: BEFORE work, once when you get home at dinner and once before bed. That's three good walks a day. Try and go different routes to keep it interesting.

Then on your days off do alot of enrichment going to new places and letting him explore. YOU can make the sacrifice of getting up early or going to bed a bit later as a gift for his loyalty. Seven is NOT old.

Also make sure he's getting a check up from your vet. Sometimes they can get conditions that aren't obvious at first like a thyroid disorder and especially at 7 for a Golden.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,099,644 times
I agree with everyone. You don't need to rehome him just spend lots of quality time when you can. He just misses you, that is all. On the weekends try to take him on longer walks, play with him, really wear him out. He'll be ok.

I do understand how you feel.My dog is used to coming to work with me but I'll be starting a new job where he can't come to work with me. I'm going to have to figure out a way to interact with him more, no matter how tired or busy I am. It will be hard on both of us but it would be worse if we didn't have each other.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
He is bored while you are at work.He is not deserving the life he wants. He wants to play , hike and so on.You should take him for a walk or play with him. Take it to the park and play with him/her . You can give it's favourite food (pedigree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs