Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times

Advertisements

I cry once in awhile over animals I lost DECADES ago! But I will Never be without a dog! I settle for a cat if my son wasn't allergic & I Cant afford to get scratched by them. You Cant replace an animal nor a person in your heart But to become a recluse cause you loose a BF or ignore an animal cause you will lose them is Not Healthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:35 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I cry once in awhile over animals I lost DECADES ago! But I will Never be without a dog! I settle for a cat if my son wasn't allergic & I Cant afford to get scratched by them. You Cant replace an animal nor a person in your heart But to become a recluse cause you loose a BF or ignore an animal cause you will lose them is Not Healthy!
I agree. I think my friend's life has been less fulfilling because of her choice to not open her heart to another dog - in my opinion, however, I think she feels differently, although she sure does love my dogs snuggling on her!

It's not just the dog that is at question, it is being willing to be open to love, even with the potential pain of loosing the dog at some point. I personally think that is an indicator of emotional health and well being.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 PM

I know people that personality went from Outgoing & Friendly to MEAN & Nasty! Cause they wont let an animal into their hearts! That's why I say get a Purebred whos Parents & Grand parents are tested! then you have a better chance at a Healthy pup with Many Future Birthdays!

Right now on one of my Facebook sales sites are 3 people Begging for money to help their sickly mutts! 3-4 yr old mix breeds with Bad Hips! Elbows Blindness! crazy!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I do have an idea of what I want in a dog, as does my husband. We are both very different, so it makes the choice more difficult. He wants a dog with a lot of energy, pep, playful; I want a companion who is stranger friendly and likes to cuddle. Eventually we will get both again as the poodle is getting older.

I don't mind grooming and we would both prefer medium sized dogs. The miniature doodle would have been perfect but we would prefer a purebred who can give us a health certificate guarantee on the parents. If the doodles can, that's great too, but not sure I want to pay 2000 and up for a mixed breed.

There is a Havanese breeder in our state as well as two Brittany breeders we plan on connecting with to find out more. These are the two kind of dogs that we feel would be perfect, both a companion and an energetic dog.

I liked having the energy of a boisterous dog around and had no idea how much I would miss that energy.

You guys have given me lots of information, thank you for that and the nice words, we are all dog lovers here and understand.
Both the Havanese and the Brittany would not be considered friendly with strangers as compared to other breeds that are. Polite, yes. Friendly, no. When a breed has politeness with strangers as a characteristic it also means that very careful socialization is paramount in order to avoid a shy dog. And that you have to be extremely careful to steer clear of lines that have produced cautious temperaments. On your other desirable breed qualities they are both good.

The Brittany was on my list of potentials but a very good friend of mine who is a busy groomer and also hunts her GR and her Curly said that they tend towards being a bit skittish. She has seen quite a few of them in both her grooming shop and at hunt tests. Off my list.

I have done tons of research on this issue since I want to do therapy work with terminal kids with my next dog which means temperament is number one with stranger friendliness a necessity.

Why do you consider the Miniature Doodle perfect but not the Miniature Poodle? If the only drawback is that your own dog is less energetic than you'd like you can easily find a MP that is higher energy. Easily.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
One of my Trainers Bred Standard Poodles Not One Health Problem! Several Friends that Groomed dogs The Standards they groomed were Show dogs & Later were bred No Health problems! You just have to look as there ARE Healthy standards out there. Most did Confirmation & Obedience & Agility with hers & another had several on her Dog Sled team! Blew my mind when I found out
Of course. I have a groomer friend who breeds SPs (also trials them in hunt, agility and obedience) and she has had no health problems.

I have another groomer friend who trials agility and both her SPs died early of cancer. I have several acquaintances, all who trial agility, whose SPs ended up with the same sad fate. But all one has to do is Google the subject to discover that SPs are not considered a healthy breed. From the Poodle Club of America: Health Concerns - Poodle Club of America and http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/f...in_Poodles.pdf And then there's this: Standard Poodle Health Problems | Feeding | Raising a Poodle Puppy

As I wrote, "One can find healthy SPs but it is more of a challenge." SPs are known in the dog fancy for having more health problems than most breeds. Doesn't mean you can't find a healthy one. Just means it is harder. And since the OP is so desperate not to repeat her tragic experience it seems appropriate to counsel her to stay away from breeds with a higher probability of health problems.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:39 AM

And Yet the Standard Poodle IS the MAIN breed being crossed with Other Breeds to make these Designer dogs & Most Mutts Have Poodle in them !

Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Both the Havanese and the Brittany would not be considered friendly with strangers as compared to other breeds that are. Polite, yes. Friendly, no. When a breed has politeness with strangers as a characteristic it also means that very careful socialization is paramount in order to avoid a shy dog. And that you have to be extremely careful to steer clear of lines that have produced cautious temperaments. On your other desirable breed qualities they are both good.

The Brittany was on my list of potentials but a very good friend of mine who is a busy groomer and also hunts her GR and her Curly said that they tend towards being a bit skittish. She has seen quite a few of them in both her grooming shop and at hunt tests. Off my list.

I have done tons of research on this issue since I want to do therapy work with terminal kids with my next dog which means temperament is number one with stranger friendliness a necessity.

Why do you consider the Miniature Doodle perfect but not the Miniature Poodle? If the only drawback is that your own dog is less energetic than you'd like you can easily find a MP that is higher energy. Easily.
I'm finding that out about Brittany's, unfortunately. A must for us would be stranger friendly.

I would consider a miniature doodle perfect because DH isn't keen on the mini poodles so it's something we can agree on (looks/size/temperament). He needs a medium size dog and the mini poodle we have now is more my dog.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM

People Friendly get a Pembroke Corgi! They Love Everyone!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:51 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times
If a large, friendly, durable, sturdy, short haired dog is what you are looking for, in the description of the Redbone Coon Hound "These are not guard dogs, the Redbone Coon Hound has never met a stranger." I love that description!

They are a true hunting dog however, so the cat is NOT safe!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm finding that out about Brittany's, unfortunately. A must for us would be stranger friendly.

I would consider a miniature doodle perfect because DH isn't keen on the mini poodles so it's something we can agree on (looks/size/temperament). He needs a medium size dog and the mini poodle we have now is more my dog.
Beagle sounds like your dog. English Cocker (not the American Cocker disaster) is another possibility.

If by agreeing on "looks" that means you both desire the Doodle appearance then the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and the Portugese Water Dog fit the "looks" bill but unfortunately neither is a healthy breed.

Maybe you should just get a Doodle and hope for the best. Adopt a rescue Doodle and you won't pay that obscene price. Doodle Rescue Collective Inc. - Labradoodle Rescue & Goldendoodle Rescue There are likely other Doodle rescue groups to investigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs