Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And Yet the Standard Poodle IS the MAIN breed being crossed with Other Breeds to make these Designer dogs & Most Mutts Have Poodle in them !
Because consumers want a *real dog* that doesn't shed. They want a big dog and certainly not one of those prissy Poodles...read my sarcasm; if they watched SPs at a hunt test they'd change their tune on that prissy factor. They dismay when their dog not only sheds...like many breeds with undercoat that don't require much grooming beyond routine slickering and an occasional raking...but also requires extensive, expensive grooming. They bought the negative coat qualities of both breeds! By then they love the dog and naturally downplay the issue.

My sister's best friend paid big bucks for a Doodle after saying goodbye to their beloved Golden and the dog sheds. But, thankfully, they love the dog. I have two groomer friends (both with busy, successful shops) who say that the majority of their Doodles have undercoat and shed. And that some of them are harder to groom than Poodles because the owners do not brush them and they matt.

People pay an obscene price for a dog that has a good chance of shedding...Goldens have undercoat plus they shed quite a bit; Labs shed like crazy...and will need costly grooming on a regular basis. I just don't get it. Actually, I do get it. There are Doodles that don't shed and these people...people who believe because they want to believe...are sure they are gonna get one of those.

Some day some Doodle lines may be reliably shed-free but that day is not now. Pay half the price and get a quality purebred dog from an excellent breeder if one desires more consistency than adopting a rescue will provide.

If I sound like I am against all crossbreeding, I am not. I have friends who are Flyball fanatics and they intentionally crossbreed Border Collies and Jack Russell Terriers to get height dogs. But they do this knowing that not all puppies will be ideal and responsibly place those puppies in other performance homes. I am against charging an exorbitant fee for a misrepresentation. That's unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
If a large, friendly, durable, sturdy, short haired dog is what you are looking for, in the description of the Redbone Coon Hound "These are not guard dogs, the Redbone Coon Hound has never met a stranger." I love that description!
Me too.

Coonhounds bay. And they sorta stink...at least more than most dogs. But Beagles do too and if the OP was fine with that then the Coonhound might be a great fit.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I always thought the Idea of crossing the Poodle with Shedding dogs to get a Non shedding dog was Nuts. All they have to do is look at the Cockerpoos! Cocker x Poodle mixes they Shed & Matt like crazy. Now cross the bigger dogs you just have a Bigger mess! Cockerpoos have Bad tempers the Worst of Both breeds! Thankfully the Labs/Goldens/ Standard poodle have great tempers.

American Spaniel have good temper & BUT you have to get dogs with No Vision problems! They are Calmer than the English Cockers who still have a Lot of hunting instinct. Not saying you cant findAm cockers that hunt you can be it far & few. Am were bred more to Look Pretty for show while the English were bred for Field 1st Show 2nd. Lady & the Tramp ruined the Am Cockers back in the 50s

Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,233,897 times
I think the English Cocker Spaniel is better looking than the American Cocker. Just love that droopy face with the expressive eyes, curly ears, round head and long full snout.

I think hound dogs have that same sweet face. I don't mind a smelly dog; that sometimes happens with the hounds, but have to be careful about size (medium) and I will never get a long-backed dog (Basset) even though they are the most adorable. I don't think I could stand seeing them lose function because of disc problems.

Dachshunds are the sweetest most loving dogs with those soulful eyes, but could never get one because I would worry about their back.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Corgis have lots of back problems. While I got lucky with Katie, its a bred I never wanted to breed. My ex LL has 4 doxies All in their Teen years Non have back problems. I never met a doxie or any long back dog with problems Cause Breeders Check for that Before they breed!

Last edited by Katie1; 05-07-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:00 PM

Keep in mind when you come to forums like this Your Not likely to hear about Good Healthy Dogs Your going to hear Mostly Complaints about Training or Lack of or Health problems! Best is to pick your Furever breed Talk to Breeder Make sure they Do the Health Test! Make sure They have a Good Rep! This Improves your chances for a Healthy dog! But nothing will ever be 100% I bred 2 collies 1993 Both were CERF eyes as were their parents & gparent I had a litter of 7 pups ALL BLIND! In 1982 had 4 sister Collies I got from a breeder Knew Nothing about PRA in collies ...Blindness & Rescued my Male from an abusive owner! I bred them Several litters Before a Collie Breeder came to visit & Educated me. She even took me & my 5 collies into DC 100 miles away to a Doggie eye dr. ALL 4 Sisters were blind! My Male perfect! I went home Called EVERY one that got a puppy from me Rounded ALL of them up NOT One pup was Blind ALL passed!! Dumb Beginners Luck! My 4 girls & ALL pups were S/N at my expense so not to add more future blind pups out there. Makes no sence that it happened but it did & still does. Like marriage its for better or worse! I had both. Do your best try not to worry about what may or may not happen. {{{HUGS}}} for you on the dog you recently lost.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
Quote:
... OP Didn't ask about Mutts s/he said they Only want AKC dog! Your remarks have Nothing to do wit the Topic of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
... I would like to point out that "doodles" are not a breed and neither are any other cross bred animals....
OP did not understand what AKC means!

Most of my dogs have been AKC registered, but I'd tend to believe that "mutts" are healthier, as there's less "in-breeding" that shows up as typical problems within a breed. This is based on my own experiences as a dog owner for 60 years. AKC can be important when getting a small pup, because you'll know what general traits the dog will grow up to have -- size, etc. Temperament is a different story. I've had Yorkies that were a ball of fire, and I've had them that only wanted to cuddle. Our current Silky's personality is completely different than her former stablemate. Point is, while AKC registration can guarantee some things, other things it cannot.

The safest way to get a dog with all the qualities you want is to adopt an adult dog. That's how I got my last two dogs, and they're probably the best I've had. Although the Yorkie did have a ton of physical ailments, she beat back the cancer and lived to be 17 years old.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I always thought the Idea of crossing the Poodle with Shedding dogs to get a Non shedding dog was Nuts. All they have to do is look at the Cockerpoos! Cocker x Poodle mixes they Shed & Matt like crazy. Now cross the bigger dogs you just have a Bigger mess! Cockerpoos have Bad tempers the Worst of Both breeds! Thankfully the Labs/Goldens/ Standard poodle have great tempers.

American Spaniel have good temper & BUT you have to get dogs with No Vision problems! They are Calmer than the English Cockers who still have a Lot of hunting instinct. Not saying you cant findAm cockers that hunt you can be it far & few. Am were bred more to Look Pretty for show while the English were bred for Field 1st Show 2nd. Lady & the Tramp ruined the Am Cockers back in the 50s
Since the OP wants a more energetic and "boisterous" dog then the EC is a better fit for her than the AC. And one of the reasons I suggested it.

ECs here do very well in agility...they have the energy and drive to run fast.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The safest way to get a dog with all the qualities you want is to adopt an adult dog. That's how I got my last two dogs, and they're probably the best I've had. Although the Yorkie did have a ton of physical ailments, she beat back the cancer and lived to be 17 years old.
An adult dog from an excellent breeder? Yes, that would work. Breeders do sometimes have to place dogs retired from showing/breeding in order to have room to add a new dog to their breeding program or because the dog did not mature as they anticipated and is no longer a good candidate for breeding/showing. But that can make it harder to find a dog since there are fewer such dogs available than there are puppies.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Since the OP wants a more energetic and "boisterous" dog then the EC is a better fit for her than the AC. And one of the reasons I suggested it.

ECs here do very well in agility...they have the energy and drive to run fast.
People in my area Dump the EC they No clue that there is w Whole world of difference other than looks between the 2

What area do you live in Jumpindogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs