Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

A very loud series of high pitched howls which sound like two male cats fighting.

The first time it happened Oscar the cat had just come home from the hospital where he had been very sick. It was like around midnight and I was fast asleep in the dark room. I sat up looking for Oscar thinking he was in the throws of dying. I looked everywhere for him and finally told myself I'd deal with it in the morning but in the morning he was snuggled up beside me...just fine.

It kept happening and I would immediately turn on the light but everybody was present and accounted for...2 cats asleep in the bed. Lucy the Bichon in her bed beside me and Toby the maltese ASLEEP IN HIS KENNEL.

Every now and then (like 2 or 3 months) it would happen until I mentioned I thought i was having auditory hallucinations to my doctor. he changed some meds. A friend suggested I had Exploding Head Syndrome. Look it up. It's real. I determined that was it and decided not to mention it to anybody any more for fear i would be committed to the looney bin.

One night I was working on the computer very late in the night and it happened again. I was wide awake so I knew it wasn't in my head, the cats were asleep on the bed as was Lucy. Toby was asleep. but I knew it was coming from him. Since then I've had the same thing happen so I know for a fact it is coming from sleeping Toby. Happened 10 minutes ago.

What the heck is going on? and why doesn't it ever happen during the day when he sleeps?
I am relieved to know my head is not exploding anymore.

I can't tell you how frightening that was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
We have 2 rescued dogs and it happens with them. It happens when they are comfortable enough to go into a deep sound sleep. NK, it may be happening during the day and you just aren't aware because of other sounds. People have nightmares and crazy dreams, so why can't dogs?

Every now and then, I find myself being awakened by a gentle hand just stroking my arm. It seems that I have nightmares and my husband, always listening to my breathing and every sound, wakes me when he hears sounds that don't sound good - before it becomes a problem.

It might even be a positive dream - the dog is chasing something in a dream and howling like his ancestors.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
That you Annie. Toby and Lucy are velcro dogs...never 3 feet away from me and I've never heard This strange noise during daytime. I think I choose to believe he is having a happy dream. If it was terrible his breathing would be rough and he would be thrashing or waking up...right?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM

Not necessarily. Sometimes Puppers will have a dream/nightmare and her legs will thrash and she makes sounds including barking but calling her name doesn't even wake her up. I've had to go shake her (gently) or clap/whistle to get through the dream. We know she was a hunting dog before being rescued so maybe she is dreaming of the hunt. Or maybe she is having a nightmare from when she was abandoned with a broken leg. Neither seems to have a long lasting effect as within a few minutes either she returns to sleep or gets up and checks on the kittens.

Pete, the newest rescued occupant has his own but he's a hound and he howls. His howl is loud enough to wake him up. Sometimes he just whimpers. We don't think he's having dreams as his story was a very sad one. But he's safe now so we just deal with whatever nightmares he has. He gets some loving and then we move on.

I don't believe in making too big an issue of things like this - with people or dogs or cats even (yes, cats can have similar signs of dreaming/nightmares). If you make it an issue, it puts focus and therefore implies importance to the event. Just treat the immediate situation and then carry on.

It's far more of an issue to us than it is to them.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Taffy sometimes makes weird yips in her sleeps and runs (well, her feet move), Tuck will yip in his sleep, but very rarely. I have always assumed the dogs were dreaming of chasing a ball or some other "play," not a night mare or night terror.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:18 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Lady does that at nite! She be in a REM sleep yelp bark her body would jump! Katies also does it but hers is by day

Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Funny - Puppers was sound asleep in her chair, snoring away. Suddenly she started barking, jumped off the chair, hackles up full, and ran to the door. There's no one and nothing there. No car drove by, no mailman, no strange animals in the yard. Nothing. She had a dream...again. This is not new just coincidental that it occured while reading the updates to this thread.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
Funny....but not really.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs