Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which breed would be a better companion to a cocker spaniel?
Medium Goldendoodle 3 17.65%
Miniature poodle 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times

Advertisements

Breeder Referral Contacts - Poodle Club of America

Rescue Referrals - Poodle Club of America

I would go with a poodle, either miniature or standard, from a responsible breeder (1st link above) or rescue group (2nd link above).

The above links are to the AKC National Breed Club Links. There's also the UKC: United Kennel Club: Poodle ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,953,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
A Goldendoodle, or anything with Doodle in it's name is NOT A BREED! These are mutts, mixed breeds, pound puppies, rescues, etc.
Many of today's breeds did not exist 100+ years ago. They were created by breeding different dogs for different characteristics and creating a new breed.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:52 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I think you need to look at individual dogs to make a decision. Also, if you interested in a mix of a golden retriever and poodle, do look at Petfinder as you'll find some that are simply an accidental breeding and others that are, well, on purpose mixed breeds. I love mixed breeds but the way they will look, size, coat and personality can really vary from one dog to another.

I have seen just plain old mixed breeds in animal control facilities that look identical to the one my brother's friend paid $3,000 for.

If the dog is going to pick, just get the cocker and a couple of years later let it pick the new dog or pup. That's the great thing about being able to take a dog to a shelter when you are making a selection since some dogs just plain don't like the other one from the get-go.

I got a second dog but the first one didn't choose her and they do fine. Similar size, both females which is supposed to be a no-no but personality is everything.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
poodle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful little dogs

Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Get a poodle!

IMO, doodles are mostly hyper and NOT at all intelligent. Sure they are big and happy, but they aren't an actual breed.

I think Cockers would get quite irritated and intimidated with a doodle's antics.

Last edited by gouligann; 07-14-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Many of today's breeds did not exist 100+ years ago. They were created by breeding different dogs for different characteristics and creating a new breed.
New breeds are recognized by the AKC or FCI. Gooldendoodles are mutts created by someone to make a buck. They are not a recognized breed.

To the OP, I think the breed is less important that the temperament of the individual dog but of the two types you listed, I recommend a poodle.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM

143 posts, read 144,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The problem with Goldendoodles is most "breeders" don't breed beyond the F1 generation (first generation). I have actually seen websites that brag about this because according to them it creates the most consistent coat type. After the first generation when they try to breed Goldendoodle to Goldendoodle the coat type, body shape, etc. is all over the map. Not many people want a doodle with a wire outer coat like a terrier and a Golden's undercoat. It would take at least 7 generations to get anything sort of consistency. The vast majority of doodle breeders are out to make a fast buck. They could not be bothered health testing and breeding generations and generations of dogs most of which will not be what they want. The Goldendoodle will most likely never become a breed simply because there is almost no breeding pool of Goldendoodles. The Labradoodle might get there as there are many multigeneration Labradoodle breeders.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:29 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I'd get the dog that's right for you for the first dog, and then get the dog that's right for the first dog for the second dog.

My catahoula is the perfect dog for me. We work together amazingly well. The cattle dog/kelpie mix I just got is the perfect dog for my catahoula. He is a little younger, smaller and more submissive than the Houla. He's a delightful little dog, but he's not a dog I would have chosen for myself if I didn't have another dog already. He is the perfect companion for my other guy though.

He's also not the dog I envisioned getting for my Houla. But after they met the first time and almost immediately began an epic play session, it was clear this was the right one.

So get the first dog, then get a companion that suits the first dog.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:58 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
A Goldendoodle, or anything with Doodle in it's name is NOT A BREED! These are mutts, mixed breeds, pound puppies, rescues, etc.

It means a Golden, or Golden mix bred with another breed or mix and someone decided to slap a designer name on it and rip people off charging 800.00 for a mutt.

A sucker is born every minute and those backyard puppy producers know it. Next time, send the cash to me instead of tossing it out the window, and I promise to do something worthwhile and noble with it.

Purebred Poodles are very nice dogs, so there's my vote. You cannot judge the expected size, shape, health or temperament of any doodle mix according to any expected standard, because they are mutts.
Exactly! Don't pay big bucks to these so called "breeders" who intentionally crossbreed purebred dogs to create these designer mixed breeds. There are way too many mixed breeds and purebreds who are unwanted as it is. They are only contributing to our terrible pet overpopulation problem.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm wondering which would be a better companion to the cocker spaniel. We have a miniature poodle who is 13 and you're right, the calmness, intelligence and steadiness is what I like about him. We had a cocker spaniel who passed and their energy didn't match up. The poodle was done playing after 15 minutes and she would run circles around him, or launch off the couch onto him to initiate play and he would eventually run under the bed because it was too much.

We are planning to get another cocker spaniel first, and then either another mini poodle or goldendoodle for a companion for the cocker. Wondering if a more energetic dog (like a goldendoodle) would be more compatible with the cocker, or if it would be too much for both of them and the energy would turn to aggression

Love -- goldendoodles in this area range between 1350 to 2500. A little pricey indeed.
Daylux...you know from replies (mine ) to your previous thread on this subject that Miniature Poodles can excel in agility (a speed sport) and are thus plenty energetic for your needs. Just because your MP is very laid back doesn't mean every MP will be laid back.

Find a fabulous MP breeder and let her/him choose the right puppy for you based on your desires. Your money will be a million times better spent than on a Doodle.

Or adopt a young adult dog from a reputable rescue who fosters their dogs in private homes long enough for the dog's true temperament/energy level to emerge. You'll spend way less, get close to what you want and save a life. There are many dogs in rescue around one year of age...the age that people discover they really can't tolerate an untrained dog and that they are not cut out to train dogs.

Either way you'll be much better off than with that Doodle you keep dreaming about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs