Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM

216 posts, read 372,959 times

Advertisements

I am researching adopting a Yorkie from a rescue. I had a couple questions I was hoping to get an answer:

1. Should I take the dog right away to a vet so I become an established patient?

2. When is the best time in the adoption process to purchase Pet Insurance?
I was thinking before I my first Vet visit, because if they find something wrong before I have the insurance then the condition might be considered pre-existing.

The dogs I see and am considering on PetFinder.com will be up-to date on shots and spayed/neutered according to their profile.

I appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 PM

107 posts, read 152,174 times
I think you should take the pup asap to see your vet...in fact, the adoption contract may stipulate that you do just that. This is mainly to get a "baseline" for your new pet as well as to check for any health issues which may need to be addressed. Your vet will also provide you with information on caring for your dog and give you the opportunity to ask any questions that may come up.

I can't offer any advice on the insurance issue as I do not insure my dogs.

Good luck with your new pup!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I am researching adopting a Yorkie from a rescue. I had a couple questions I was hoping to get an answer:

1. Should I take the dog right away to a vet so I become an established patient?

I was thinking before I my first Vet visit, because if they find something wrong before I have the insurance then the condition might be considered pre-existing.

The dogs I see and am considering on PetFinder.com will be up-to date on shots and spayed/neutered according to their profile.

I appreciate any advice.
I agree with right away. If I were considering a Yorkie I would ask my vet to check for a liver shunt...there are lab tests available...and make that a condition of return with refund (in writing) with the rescue. Unless you'd be fine with it. Liver shunts are common in Yorkies...the odds of a Yorkie developing a liver shunt "are 1225 times greater than that of all other breeds combined". Liver Shunt Research

Toy breeds can also have patella issues but those are easily surgically repaired.

This is a great dog breed website. Her descriptions are right on. Yorkshire Terriers: What's Good and Bad About Yorkies

I've always admired Yorkies and dreamed of having one when we seriously downsize from our Mini Aussies. Or a Pap. Congratulations!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM

671 posts, read 901,302 times
I can't answer insurance, but I adopted a puppy not too long ago and the rescue suggested taking her to a vet within a few days to get her checked out. It can't hurt and the vet will get you on the correct cycle for shots and whatnot.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,383 times
Quote:

I appreciate any advice.
The answer to your first question is up to you. If you want a peace of mind and have the money for it, why not? My sister bought her mini yorkies and they were only checked by the breeder's vet. They were fine and didn't have any issues. Same with my mutts. If the rescue you are adopting from is trustworthy and knows yorkies well, I wouldn't do it but that's just me. Most rescues give you about a week or 14 days for a free health check up anyway in case you need it.

I never purchased pet insurance. Did the research, read their policies, too many exclusions and paying up front out of pocket turns me off...

If you still want pet insurance, they usually ask you to take your dog in the first 30 days or submit records to them for review. Just check their policies.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:14 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Here is a CR view on pet insurance from a couple years ago
Pet insurance is rarely worth the price

Old 08-07-2015, 05:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
Whenever you get any new dog, no matter what its age or origin, you should take the critter to the vet within a few days (72 hours maximum) of acquiring him/her - to prevent misunderstandings between you and whoever gave or sold you the dog, and to make sure that all is as it should be. Responsible breeders insist on it in their sales contracts.

I can't speak to pet insurance, since I've never bought it.

Good luck with getting a Yorkie! They're cute, smart little dogs; often quite strong willed.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Having just adopted our first dog ever (we've been a cat family with multiple small critters thus far) I would advise not over planning or stressing too much. I did exhaustive research on the breed, training techniques, health and behavioral issues and how to prepare the environment and quite frankly, I shot right past what made sense but didn't know it until after the fact.

Beyond making sure you have the basics covered (e.g., leash, food and prepping the house) I would suggest scheduling a vet visit within the first week or two. But there are so many adjustments going on upfront for the dog and his/her new family that trying to juggle too much is, well, too much. And here's the best guideline I've found, particularly now that we've moved well past the 3 week mark and completely agree with the logic.

Good luck with the adoption, I hope it works as well for you as it did for us.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,338 times
The OSPCA, shelter where I got Tuck and Taffy from, has a vet on staff, and all their dogs are spayed/neutered at the clinic (if they are too young, a surgery is scheduled for a few months out), have all shots current, are chipped, and have a certified Vet check them for health before the adoption, so I took them to the vet as needed. You may want to verify with the shelter what has already been done, because there may be no need for a vet check right after adoption.

If you are serious about pet insurance, the sooner the better, and get the insurance in place BEFORE the vet check - you are adopting, and you don't want a serious health issue to be a "non covered pre-existing condition" because you were being responsible about your dogs health.

I have read in a couple of places that pet health insurance premiums are tied to expected payouts plus some amount of profit, so you could also "self insure" by putting the equivalent of a monthly premium in a pet savings account. If your dog is like Taffy, you will have enough for a cruise when she passes, if your dog is like Tuck, well... He is a wonderful, if somewhat expensive dog!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I always take my new adoptees to the vet for a "hello" visit and to put in their rabies certificates in their new file. I also usually get them microchipped. Also need a heartworm test if you're starting them on heartworm medicine.

Congratulations on adopting a new best friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs