Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times

Advertisements

My goals are probably different than 95% of the people on this forum, as we have bird dogs used for both upland and waterfowl hunting. We are generally looking to create a cooperative hunting companion and honing their natural abilities.

Pretty much follow Delmar Smith techniques, or the silent command system.

From www.backcountrybirddogs.com
Quote:
This internationally recognized method of training was originally established by Delmar Smith in the 1950′s and has developed many superior gun dogs and field trial champions. Chris’ recent training in an Advanced Level Certification provides him with the knowledge to share the techniques and skill set of developing a dog into a talented and enjoyable bird dog.
We use a positive reinforcement (treats and clickers) as well as collar conditioning, especially for the field. We are also members of the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) and participate in group training events and recognized testing using live birds in hunt searching, pointing, tracking game and retrieving, both on land and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can teach any trick in five minutes and with a handful of kibble.
I am guessing your definition of "any trick" and my definition of "any trick" are worlds apart.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,738 times
Quote:
I cheat.
I get a collie, they learn English, and we live happily together.

The potty training is the labor intensive part.

You can teach any trick in five minutes and with a handful of kibble.
Throw in a little practice to avoid resource guarding and work the paws, ears, tails, teeth, etc, so they don't mind being handled.
Part of the fun for me is learning to speak Dog. It helps tremendously with all the other stuff.
We incorporate touching, handling, massaging of feet, ears, and teeth into play and snuggle time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont train any dogs; dont believe in it. Id rather a dog just be a dog. Unfortunately after awhile i at times forget that my dog is a dog and not a human child of mine and, being an authoritarian, doesnt work out too well.
Letting a dog be a dog and training your dog are not mutually exclusive options. In not (intentionally) training your dog you are doing your pup a great disservice by not teaching it how to live happily in a human world. Imagine not providing any guidance or boundaries to an out of control 4 year old child = a recipe for disaster. As well, whether you realize it or not, you HAVE been training your dog as they are constantly learning from us what is or isn't acceptable via body language, tone of voice, and/or eye contact. The question is- what have they learned from not being trained?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I am guessing your definition of "any trick" and my definition of "any trick" are worlds apart.
Got my last collie to open and close the fridge in minutes.
Same with bringing toys based on name of toy (identification and process of elimination).
Harder time having her bring me things without eating them herself...

Dumb stuff like saying prayers, for shame, playing dead, roll over, sit, upstairs, downstairs...that takes no time at all.

Learning English helps for when I say, "No, you pick up that toy and take it right back outside now." Two step commands.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Got my last collie to open and close the fridge in minutes.
Same with bringing toys based on name of toy (identification and process of elimination).
Harder time having her bring me things without eating them herself...

Dumb stuff like saying prayers, for shame, playing dead, roll over, sit, upstairs, downstairs...that takes no time at all.

Learning English helps for when I say, "No, you pick up that toy and take it right back outside now." Two step commands.
I think we could all benefit from some videos of your training sessions. That's pretty impressive. Even if your "collie" happens to be a Border Collie. In some areas of the world BCs are called collies so I wasn't sure if you have Collies or BCs.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I think we could all benefit from some videos of your training sessions. That's pretty impressive. Even if your "collie" happens to be a Border Collie. In some areas of the world BCs are called collies so I wasn't sure if you have Collies or BCs.
The one I mentioned was a rough collie. Looked like Lassie. She died in 2012.

My smooth collie I have now is a sable. And I have a tricolor rough. The tricolor rough has been an EXCEPTIONALLY obedient dog (after we got through the eating the house phase). And she picks stuff up FAST. The smooth is a little more...eh...

But they are easy dogs. I am no genius trainer. I just have cheat dogs.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The one I mentioned was a rough collie. Looked like Lassie. She died in 2012.

My smooth collie I have now is a sable. And I have a tricolor rough. The tricolor rough has been an EXCEPTIONALLY obedient dog (after we got through the eating the house phase). And she picks stuff up FAST. The smooth is a little more...eh...

But they are easy dogs. I am no genius trainer. I just have cheat dogs.
Gotcha. I've heard that about Smooths in general from my Collie friends.

I would still love to see a training video. Of your "cheat" dog learning a new trick. It just boggles my mind that you can teach a dog to perform a complex trick in five minutes.

<<Dumb stuff like saying prayers, for shame, playing dead, roll over, sit, upstairs, downstairs...that takes no time at all.>>

Saying prayers...considered an advanced trick by professional trick trainers since it requires the dog to put front feet on the bed (or chair), bend his head down nearly between his front legs and maintain the position...generally takes several sessions even for brilliant dogs.

I may have to rethink Collies...

Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Saying prayers...considered an advanced trick by professional trick trainers since it requires the dog to put front feet on the bed (or chair), bend his head down nearly between his front legs and maintain the position...generally takes several sessions even for brilliant dogs.

My say your prayers is just find the nearest appropriate height surface (couch, ottoman, chair) and hold the pose with both paws together until release. I never thought about the putting the head down.

The head goes down for my 'for shame.' Head on the floor, paw goes on top of face.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
My say your prayers is just find the nearest appropriate height surface (couch, ottoman, chair) and hold the pose with both paws together until release. I never thought about the putting the head down.

The head goes down for my 'for shame.' Head on the floor, paw goes on top of face.
No matter. Your description of "for shame" would be also be considered an advanced trick by professional trick trainers. If you can teach your dog that trick in "no time at all" then you have a future in show business! Especially with a Lassie dog.

If not a video, would you share your training steps for teaching "for shame"? That one is a real crowd-pleaser.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM

Lol!!!
I swear it is not me.
The whole trick came from me noticing that when I blew in Rio's face, she would swipe it with her paw.
So it was borne from my obnoxious dog torture.

So in a down stay, I blew in her face and said the command. She herself would duck her face down and swipe/cover it with her paw. A few times with a few treats...bam.

See how stupid and silly I am with some treat-hungry compliant dogs?

My friends/family come to me for advice all the time, and I cannot honestly take credit for silly stuff like this.

Like right now I just blew in my tricolor puppy's face, and she just licked the air. My "technique" is not going to work on her. Just cheezed her off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs