Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times

Advertisements

I have a very old shih tzu who, up until about a year ago was my shadow. Everywhere I went, she followed, always needed to be in the chair with me, etc. In the past year, she stays almost entirely to herself, either on her "day bed" in the kitchen or in her crate. She still has a very good appetite and takes short walks around the yard but, she is totally deaf and almost completely blind with congestive heart failure. I understand as one ages, it is normal to be tired and less active but, is it normal that she wants very little attention/affection? She allows me to scratch her ears and pet her for a few minutes but, does not want to be picked up, held or otherwise "messed with". I think it may be partly due to the vision loss, she likes being where she is familiar with her surroundings but I've also wondered if it is dementia. The vet has checked her out and although he didn't rule out dementia, he thought she was doing prettty well considering. I'm just wondering if most elderly dogs withdraw from people like this when they are very old. I have 2 other younger dogs, ages 11 and 8 who are still quite active but, I don't remember other dogs in the past having been so withdrawn when they got old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Yes its normal, atleast it has been for my dogs. We also had a shih tzu and when she got into the grandma age she started sleeping all day and didnt care much for company. She just lay there for a a few months under the table until it was time for doggy heaven

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
My maltese did this when he was about 12-13. I think he just didn't have the energy to follow us around anymore. He was also deaf and blind. He didn't like to go outside anymore either. Of course, he also had dementia - pretty severely. That manifested itself by loss of housetraining and pacing. He would pace in circles. It was so sad. His quality of life in his last year was pretty bad.

But I've seen my friends' older dogs . . that just spend most of their time on a comfy cushion on the floor . . . . I think there are changes in an older dog that aren't always dementia related.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I agree, it sounds all too familiar.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 AM

She is incontinent in the house and has been for over a year; sometimes she uses puppy pads I put down, most times not. She doesn't pace in circles but will sometimes walk through all of the rooms on the first floor, sort of like she's looking for something but she doesn't do it long. I guess she is getting close to the end but, as long as she is eating like she does and still occasionally goes out for a walk around the property I figure there is still some quality of life for her. Knowing when that stops has always been a challenge for me. My other two dogs seem more protective of her, one is always licking her and follows her around when she goes outside; I thought the pack usually withdraws from the sick or weak one but he seems to be protecting her, very strange.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I think it is wonderful that the pack is protecting her in her old age. A lessons some humans would do well to learn. Sorry you are having to watch your older dog go through this knowing what is down the road for her. Just love her as she will allow and fon't be afraid to let her go when it is time.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
I agree. Prepare yourself as much as you can. She is telling you something... I know your heart doesn't want to listen....but you must.
Take care & love her as much as you can.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
It's so hard on us to watch as our dogs get older. I feel for you.

You mentioned how your younger dogs are taking care of your old girl now.

I was looking for information about pack order and how the pack cares for elderly dogs and I ran across this.
It talks about how dogs can change roles in the pack. I thought it was interesting.

Younger Dog Taking Over the Pack - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
I have found this to be true of both Cats and dogs as they near the end of their lives. It is sad but in a way it also prepares you for what is to come. I found it much harder to say good bye to Dash who was still very into be being with me and doing things with me then to say good bye to Maddie who at the end of her life slept alot and even spent alot of time in other rooms rather then at my feet where she had spent most of her life. My parents had a dog that did become rather senile in old age and would walk into the room and look at them like " who are you?" Maybe Nature set it up that way to help us let go?

I don't think it is so much an age thing but rather an end of life issue. My Jazz is 14 and still sees me sit and brings a toy for me to throw for her, still knows what is going on with me and all of my neighbors too. She owns the city or perhaps the whole state so has alot to keep up on She remains very involved in every little thing. The day I see her start to withdraw I will know that she is either very sick or that my days left with her are numbered.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 AM

I appreciate everyone's comments. Although I know it's crazy, I was taking her detachment a little personally when I know that it's just a matter of her winding down. I have three dogs, all over the age of 10, although the 2 younger ones are still very active. My oldest is 18 so, it'a a miracle that she even takes her occasional walks around the yard. just hard to let go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs