Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 16,743 times

Advertisements

Me and my boyfriend got a dog about 6 months ago and recently moved into a new apartment. We both work, leaving at about 7 in the morning and coming back at around 4. In the morning while we are getting ready for work, our dog knows what is going on. She knows that we are about to leave. She gets a little sad/upset (won't lick our faces when we pick her up or barely look at us) but we give her a treat before we leave and she is content. She doesn't bark at all. I know this because I've waited at my car for about 10 minutes before actually leaving and didn't hear her bark once.

My issue is, if we have to leave after we've already been home from work, or leave later on in the day if it's a weekend, She will bark/howl almost immediately after we've left. We try and do the same thing where we give her a treat to distract her from knowing that we are heading out the door, but she just eats these treats and then goes right to barking.

Could someone please advise us on what to do and also why she is doing it? I keep trying to look it up on the internet but all I get is how to deal with separation anxiety. Like I said, she doesn't bark at all when we leave for work in the morning, she will only bark if we leave at any other time in the day. I am not sure if this can be treated the same as separation anxiety or not.

Any insight would be greatly apprecieted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:31 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Most dogs are not emotionally equipped to be left alone for hours at a time.

She is out of her mind with boredom and loneliness - just like you or I would be.

DOGGY DAY CARE!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,743 times
I'm fairly confident that boredom isn't the issue. We also have a cat, and they play together surprisingly really well. They will be running around, chasing each other, playing with the same toys and whatnot. Our little dog even tries to imitate our cat and will start scratching his scratch post. I'm not sure if I am explaining this correctly so I'll try again.

Leaving for work in the morning (monday - friday) = fine, no barking at all

Leaving at any other time (coming back from work, staying for an hour or so and then having to leave again, or when we leave at any time of the day during the weekends) = barking/howling as immediately after we leave.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyy View Post
I'm fairly confident that boredom isn't the issue. We also have a cat, and they play together surprisingly really well. They will be running around, chasing each other, playing with the same toys and whatnot. Our little dog even tries to imitate our cat and will start scratching his scratch post. I'm not sure if I am explaining this correctly so I'll try again.

Leaving for work in the morning (monday - friday) = fine, no barking at all

Leaving at any other time (coming back from work, staying for an hour or so and then having to leave again, or when we leave at any time of the day during the weekends) = barking/howling as immediately after we leave.
You are right. It does not sound like separation anxiety. If your puppy have that, it will bark anytime you are gone.

What you do have sounds like the puppy is not adjusted to your schedule. Puppies like habits. They like to know X time is mealtime, Y time is walking time, etc. He is used your weekday schedule and suddenly become confused when it changes on the weekends. Does he do more than barking? Any destruction?

Each dog mature differently. Some dogs accept the change easily while others have a panic attack when you are not here at the usual expected time. Your dog is still very young. Try to make changes in your schedule gradually. Start on a weekday. Leave some new toys around. A kong with peanut butter or a treat ball helps.

P.s. before you leave and after you come home, don't make it a big deal to the puppy.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyy View Post
Me and my boyfriend got a dog about 6 months ago and recently moved into a new apartment. We both work, leaving at about 7 in the morning and coming back at around 4. In the morning while we are getting ready for work, our dog knows what is going on. She knows that we are about to leave. She gets a little sad/upset (won't lick our faces when we pick her up or barely look at us) but we give her a treat before we leave and she is content. She doesn't bark at all. I know this because I've waited at my car for about 10 minutes before actually leaving and didn't hear her bark once.

My issue is, if we have to leave after we've already been home from work, or leave later on in the day if it's a weekend, She will bark/howl almost immediately after we've left. We try and do the same thing where we give her a treat to distract her from knowing that we are heading out the door, but she just eats these treats and then goes right to barking.

Could someone please advise us on what to do and also why she is doing it? I keep trying to look it up on the internet but all I get is how to deal with separation anxiety. Like I said, she doesn't bark at all when we leave for work in the morning, she will only bark if we leave at any other time in the day. I am not sure if this can be treated the same as separation anxiety or not.

Any insight would be greatly apprecieted!
Perhaps she has adjusted to your workday schedule although as you describe she still doesn't appreciate that you are leaving. That to me indicates that she does have a little separation anxiety going on even on your work days and definitely at your other leaving times. And yes, you can treat it the same.

Some considerations:

1) On days you both work and she has already been alone for a very long time...she is with the cat but separated from you for many hours so in her mind that's alone...perhaps you shouldn't separate her from you yet again on the same day. That's pretty hard on a dependent dog. One of you can leave but one should stay with her, either at home or doing something outside the home with her. If your evening adventure can safely include dogs then by all means both of you go and take her along. Dogs benefit from continual socialization so this is an easy way to get it done.

2) It's the weekend. A different day. Dogs do not generalize easily. To you it's just another day that you are leaving and she should accept it as she does your work days. But it is a very different day to her...you are prolly eating at a different time and so is she, you are showering/dressing at a different time, you are leaving at a different time, you are likely giving off all sorts of different vibes since it is your day to relax, etc.

Try making up this stuffed Kong KONG Classic - KONG and give it to her only on weekends when you leave. It will take her forever to enjoy, will render your leaving a fun thing and may distract her long enough to settle her into her weekday feeling.

1. stuff the bottom hole with a piece of kibble to plug it
2. layer some kibble then some cheese then some kibble then some cheese and repeat to about a third of the way from the top
3. set the Kong in a cup to prevent tipping and leakage and nuke it gently...maybe 15 seconds or so...to melt the cheese all over the kibble
4. layer peanut butter on top and freeze the Kong

Also provide her with some interactive food toys to play with while you are gone. You will have to teach her how to use them first but most dogs learn quickly.

Interactive Food Toys
Interactive Dog Toys - Whole Dog Journal Article

After she has learned to tolerate your leaving on weekends you could give her the stuffed Kong on weekdays too in order to help her happily accept your leaving. Be sure to reduce her meals on the days she gets the stuffed Kongs so she maintains her girlish figure.

Once she is happy when you leave at any time you can try short periods away from home on work day evenings. But you'd have to give her another Kong and that much peanut butter could upset her tummy. You might just have to accept that on days you both work one of you has to stay with her. That's what you'd have to do with a child so it's not as restrictive as it sounds and certainly is the responsible thing to do for your beloved dog.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
You are right. It does not sound like separation anxiety. If your puppy have that, it will bark anytime you are gone.
Just wanted to mention that dogs can have situational separation anxiety. For example:

My Karma had separation anxiety (barked and escaped the crate) when crated at dog shows in a building but not when crated in the car at those same shows. She also had separation anxiety (stress drooled) when crated at home or kenneled in a 4 x 8 run while we were at work. Loose in the house she was fine. My Skid had separation anxiety (stress peed and escaped the crate) when crated at home while we were at work but was also fine loose in the house. Skid enjoyed the benefit of Susan Garrett's crate games and was fed in his crate so he loved his crate. I didn't know about crate games when we got Karma 13 years ago but I did pair crating with very yummy long lasting treats like the frozen stuffed Kong/fed in her crate and she was always happy to run/jump into her crate. I leave the door to Skid's crate open and he chooses to relax in there many times during any given day. But crating and leaving the house...NO NO NO!!! screamed their little doggy brains.

Both dogs are shelter rescues who were transferred to national breed rescue so who knows if there was anything in their background that may have accounted for their SA when crated...kenneling in the high stress shelter environment comes to mind. The sensitive herding breeds generally do poorly in shelter environments.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Your dog doesn't bark during the work-day because she KNOWS you are leaving because you do it every weekday morning. However, she doesn't want to be left alone AGAIN in the afternoon or during the weekend because it's random.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:19 PM

287 posts, read 506,683 times
I agree with the people pegging routine change as the culprit.

When you leave her alone, is she in her crate or free roaming the apartment? If it's the latter, I might try keeping her in her crate while you're gone so she's in a comfortable, familiar, and safe place. I'd also try getting her some solid exercise before you head out; if she's tired, she'll probably be more inclined to nap than be anxious.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:40 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I support citronella collars for barking. It works for my heavy duty barker. You may be opposed but if you get an eviction notice, it might be worth considering.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Is the dog a piece of furniture ?
Why do you have a dog ?
Granted some dogs do not do well in public, but it is extremely important the puppies are exposed to a lot of public as they grow , so that they are not afraid of other people .
She need's to go on walks with you and go places with you like to the park and such or camping hiking and so forth.
Her example of communications depend on your example of communications with others even other dogs .
Animals left in one environment only can become biters out of fear not aggression or protectiveness.
Dogs are dependent on a routine and on using the same command words and hand motions consistently . this is as much training for you as the dog.
In the morning and evening, and every time I come home ,my dogs know I will give them a treat (if they've been good) If they've gotten in the trash, I make them look at the damage, and hold the treat in my hand, and put it away again . It works.
Mine are rescue dogs, and take a lot of patience re training , having been neglected by their previous owners. They won't walk on a leash, but they are good with my chickens . watch dogs they are not.
When I am home I give them all the attention possible and they respond to me very well, and are jealouse over my attention . Some times in the evening we sing together ,it helps relieve tensions and strengthens the bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs