Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 600 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend's dog has been sleeping at my house for almost 3 years now on the weekends. Every night while we are all sleeping she urinates on my bathroom rug. She is 5 years old and he got her from an ex girlfriend. We keep cleaning the rug but she urinates every night and we are at a loss for why. She goes out and sometimes spends the entire day outside but she still goes at night. If we close the door so she can't get into the room she will start going in another room. What can we do? If we put puppy pads down she wont go to the bathroom on them she will find a new spot to go. I personally have another dog but the dog and past dogs have never had accidents on the bathroom rug so I don't know why she keeps marking the rug. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Has she been to the vet? She may have a bladder infection or there may be something else medically going on. How long are you asking her to hold it?

If it's not physical, you need to go out with her and make sure she eliminates before you go to bed.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Agreed. Take her to the vet to rule out a medical issue (although it sounds like it is a medical issue).

Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psteacher View Post
My boyfriend's dog has been sleeping at my house for almost 3 years now on the weekends. Every night while we are all sleeping she urinates on my bathroom rug. She is 5 years old and he got her from an ex girlfriend. We keep cleaning the rug but she urinates every night and we are at a loss for why. She goes out and sometimes spends the entire day outside but she still goes at night. If we close the door so she can't get into the room she will start going in another room. What can we do? If we put puppy pads down she wont go to the bathroom on them she will find a new spot to go. I personally have another dog but the dog and past dogs have never had accidents on the bathroom rug so I don't know why she keeps marking the rug. Any suggestions?
How are you cleaning the rug? Any urine residue and that rug will still be considered fair game.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 555 times
You can also use a pet camera to watch the dog's behavior at night. You can make the camera alert you in there is a sound or movement so you can catch the dog relieving herself. This Helmet camera will also make a photo or video of the 'alert event'. You can take this then to a vet to see if there is a behavioral or medical issue.

Link to the camera: [url]http://bit.ly/1gh3RWe[/url]

Old 08-20-2015, 07:23 AM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
If she doesn't do this at her regular home, then I doubt it's a medical issue. She's insecure about being in a different place and not sure how to handle her need to go at night. Maybe you could set an alarm to get you up at what ever time you think she's doing this and take her out? I would also try a thunder shirt at night to help her with her insecurities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs