Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:00 PM

10,375 posts, read 8,015,612 times

Advertisements

It's not a matter of justice, StarlaJane, but a matter of human safety. Human welfare trumps animal welfare in the end. The OP described an attack that was prolonged and severe. There's no way to insure the dog in question won't ever do it again, even if a medical problem is found and treated. That's why the dog should be euthanized.

Dogs are domestic animals. We shouldn't have to carefully tiptoe around them to avoid being attacked. There's simply no place (outside a zoo cage) in modern society for a seriously aggressive dog, nor should there be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Another thing seems obvious here. The owner was negligent in not making sure the dog received treatment. It can be argued whether the dog should be put to sleep or not based on specific circumstances (and I'm sure that we don't have the entire story and history here). However, the one obvious thing is that the dog(s) should be removed from this owner and this owner should be barred from having pets based on the level of negligence showed.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,124,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
A dead dog can't bite anyone, so it's clearly a solution, just may not be the only solution. Since we have a huge surplus of dogs in shelters and on streets, many of whom will make wonderful pets without the slightest aggressive tendency, any dog exhibiting the type of behavior described in OP should be put down immediately, so other better dogs can have a chance to live.

You are way over the top and you know nothing about this dog as I don't .

Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Does anyone have any insight on this dogs behavior?
It's an aggressive dog and it bites people. End of story.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:22 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,942,124 times
A fear-full dog will bite as well.
Often people make the mistake that they've gone into some ones home, and are doing what they were asked to do, but the dog is clearly unfamiliar with these people or their intentions.
animals change and circumstances change in a home that make pets react differently to strangers.
That dog may have smelled the sent of the other dogs and the pheromones triggered something.
Accelerating the aggression was the fear and body language of the couple .

Old 08-22-2015, 06:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 10,717,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Human welfare trumps animal welfare in the end.
I completely disagree with you.

Moreover, if an animal is attacking people, it is the responsibility of the owner, as he or she is legally in charge of and responsible for the dog. Charges should be brought against the owner, not the dog.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Often people make the mistake that they've gone into some ones home, and are doing what they were asked to do, but the dog is clearly unfamiliar with these people or their intentions.
If you read the original post, the poster noted that the couple had cared for this dog while the owner was out many times before. The dog was familiar with them.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I completely disagree with you.
And the vast, vast majority of people on this planet disagree with YOU. Animals aren't unimportant, but people come first.

Quote:
Moreover, if an animal is attacking people, it is the responsibility of the owner, as he or she is legally in charge of and responsible for the dog. Charges should be brought against the owner, not the dog.
I wouldn't be surprised if the dog's owner is in fact sued. Even if the couple doesn't sue directly, their health insurance company probably will.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:48 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,127,780 times
Just found out tonight that the dog bit another neighbor on 2 different occasions. The owners took the dog to a behaviorist when the first aggression happened. The behaviorist told them that the dogs space should be respected. Since when does a dog own space? He is allowed to use OUR space at our discretion . I seriously think they need a new behaviorist as her recommendations has resulted in numerous additional bites since the first one. The dog is supposed to be in quarantine for 10 days and they took the dog to get groomed on the 2nd day. Normally the dog will pull its lips back when his feet are touched but this time he growled at the groomer. The groomer asked the owner if the dog had just had any shots and the owner said he just had a steroid shot. The groomer said when her dog got a steroid shot her dog became very aggressive and chased after her daughter to bite her.
I don't know enough about steroids but I am very tired of all of the excuses that are made as to why this dog acts the way he does...Steroid shot, too close to his dish, someone tried to fix a leash that was under the dog when he stepped over it and it was under his leg....excuse after excuse. No dog chases down a person he knows with no provocation and repeatedly bites them...

Old 08-22-2015, 09:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,281,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Just found out tonight that the dog bit another neighbor on 2 different occasions. The owners took the dog to a behaviorist when the first aggression happened. The behaviorist told them that the dogs space should be respected. Since when does a dog own space? He is allowed to use OUR space at our discretion . I seriously think they need a new behaviorist as her recommendations has resulted in numerous additional bites since the first one. The dog is supposed to be in quarantine for 10 days and they took the dog to get groomed on the 2nd day. Normally the dog will pull its lips back when his feet are touched but this time he growled at the groomer. The groomer asked the owner if the dog had just had any shots and the owner said he just had a steroid shot. The groomer said when her dog got a steroid shot her dog became very aggressive and chased after her daughter to bite her.
I don't know enough about steroids but I am very tired of all of the excuses that are made as to why this dog acts the way he does...Steroid shot, too close to his dish, someone tried to fix a leash that was under the dog when he stepped over it and it was under his leg....excuse after excuse. No dog chases down a person he knows with no provocation and repeatedly bites them...
When I read your first post about how the husband tripped on the ottoman, I said, oh my Gosh. He could've fell and hit his head.

I had some dealings with aggressive dogs working at a rescue. I had been bitten by 2 (one was my fault, he was fearful but 2nd attacked without any signs).

For the future, if a dog bites, and chases you, do NOT run. Do not turn your back. Move away slowly, avoid staring, say nothing, no loud noises. Move backward slowly. Jump on the kitchen counter if you have to. If you confront him, kick, yell, or run away, this triggers him to attack with even more ferocity. Call 911 afterward once you are safe. A dog, no matter how small, can hurt. What you need to worry about are the bacteria in his mouth that could infect your wounds especially most people don't take tetunus shots. You can lose a limb from the infection.

Also, never reach over a dog's head unless they bonded with you. Reach to the side where he can see you coming. Never surprise a dog you never bonded.

Back to the behaviour, it is extremely RARE for a dog to bite AND charge without provocation. This include after a health check up from the vet and the dog can see, hear and is in no pain. A fearful dog would snap and run rather than fight. A dog guarding his source would give you a warning growl, snap, then bite and let go, but won't chase you as long as you step away from his source.

Your friend's dog fall under the RARE category, it seems. The 2nd dog that bit me was that too. The dog knew me, sweeter than pie and easy to love. Then a switch turns on and she attacked me relentlessly for standing in the yard, after I let her out to potty, like usual. And then she goes back to being okay. Dogs like this need expert help, someone who is familiar with dealing such unpredictable behaviour. To be honest, I would put the animal down. I'm not saying they should replace him, but an average dog owner cannot help him. He needs a LOT of rehabilitation before he is deem safe around people. He might even need medication. This can take time, money and they will always have that liability over their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs