Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You keep acting upset over a hair cut that Will grow back

Your beautiful boy going to keep thinking He did something wrong. I Strip cip my dog every spring they were Collies & Shelties By fall they had Floor length hair. I was on a Papillon web sit that said Don't clip them cause it take 2 yrs for the ear fringe to grow back Well my pap got real sick Major Diarrhea so I had no choice when she got well to strip her 3 months later couldn't even tell her hair was so long! So take a chill pill. Its not the end of the world.

Go buy him a Doggie Motor Cycle coat

Bing Images
Why in the world would our dog think that he did something wrong? We certainly aren't treating him any differently (except for our immediate shock at seeing him minus his beautiful long hair) than we always treat him.

We still fed him, took him for a walk, played with him and now he is sitting on the couch right next to me as usual this afternoon.

I just wanted to ask the opinion of other dog owners regarding the very short haircut. And, I got the answer that it was simply a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

I am a little concerned that this happened just before winter in Wisconsin, but you can trust me that this actually did not reach even the top 20 or 30 of my current problems (my husband fell down a flight of stairs September 4 causing brain damage ----now THAT is a major problem).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Depends on the groomer. I used to have my border collie mix Sam 'trimmed' around certain areas, by a local groomer, and the first time my husband takes him, he tells her 'cut him short.' Imagine my surprise to see him completely shaved! It was shocking, but honestly he looked great and he was SO much happier that way, so every summer I had him shaved. I don't care if people say you shouldn't shave them, I knew my baby felt better without all that hair!

Now, he has since passed away, but we have a Yorkie & a new rescue, and at petsmart they actually ask very specifically how you want the dog cut, and on first visit they even brought out samples of hair lengths for us to choose.

ETA: consider the fact that they could be covering up a mistake...perhaps they 'messed up' and decided to just shave it off. It's odd that they were told specifically where to cut & they shaved him.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I have had mini schnauzers for more than thirty years and have had my share of groomers both good and bad. If you allow your mini to maintain a schnauzer you are bound to a daily grooming routine. My first schnauzer didn't mind all the daily grooming and he looked like a show dog. (Lots of work for me and expensive grooming). My second schnauzer was very sensitive to all the tugging on his coat and my groomer recommended a sports cut. A sports cut is short all over leaving a trimmed version of the beard. My dog was very happy with this cut and it made my life a whole lot easier. I just got a mini schnauzer rescue and her coat was in terrible condition. I opted for the sports cut and she is much happier.

Unless you are going to show your dog and/or have the time for all the daily grooming I suggest the sports cut. No matter how you trim them a mini schnauzer is still a mini schnauzer.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,651 times
It's possible that shaving might have been the only option for the groomer. Since he wasn't brushed regularly for that time, his hair might have been pretty matted. Schnauzers are known for developing mats since the loose hair from their undercoat tends to get trapped underneath their wiry topcoat.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Germaine, is it possible your daughter was really upset by her dad's head injury, and that's what caused her over reaction about a hair cut on a dog?

Honestly, it would be surprising to see a girl old enough to drive to a groomer and pick up a dog become hysterical over a dog's haircut that was shorter than what she'd asked for.

Hope your husband is healing - head injuries can be devastating.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Next time bring a photo of how you want the dog to look. If they had to shave or do an all over short clip they should have called you or made it clear it was necessary when you picked him up.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
This cut was more than 2 years ago, it is likely a non-issue at this point

Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What is "standard" for a schnauzer is very short hair on the torso, neck, throat, and forehead. The legs have hair shortened, but not short. The eyebrows are shaped to points and the beard is long.

For a properly groomed schnauzer, the hair is plucked, not shaved, but I doubt that you can find a groomer to do a proper grooming because of the time and skill that it takes.

You have to be very explicit with groomers becasue so many people want something different. If you don't tell the groomer exactly what you want, there is no telling what you will get. An acquaintance took her Papillon in to be bathed and when she went to pick up the dog, the long silky ear fringes, that take years to cultivate, were shaved down to bare skin.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
An old thread but wanted to add that we have two very expensive show quality miniature schnauzers. We don't show them but paid top breeders for puppies from long champion lines. Both of ours get sport cuts as they enjoy it more and it is much easier to maintain. Body and neck are very short with underside, legs, beard and eyebrows a bit longer. We get them groomed every six weeks as they both tell us when its time for a haircut.

I would not even consider a standard schnauzer cut (plucked) on dogs that are not shown.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM

29 posts, read 18,728 times
I can totally understand why you're upset! A friend of mine had a Schnauzer, her one true baby, and he was cut just like what you're describing. She lives in Florida, so not really a big deal and his fur did grow back. I agree with Rowan123, give him some omega 3 and perhaps a bit of coconut oil in his food for a while. That may help his fur grow back smooth and silky like he was. Otherwise, call the groomer and request the refund and a sweater, all they can do is say no. Then you'll know to let everyone you know where you live to not visit that groomer, or to at least be very clear and concise about communicating how they want their dog's hair cut.

Out cattle dog has a double coat and he gets his hair shaved twice a year. It's so hot here and he so loves it after his cut, he prances like he's a new little man! Even in the winter (Florida) it's pretty hot and if he does get a little cool, he'll snuggle between myself and my fiancé to stay warm. Our groomer accidentally cut the fur around his tail and we found a fatty cyst that now has to be removed...it's in a very bad spot. Anyway, I say that to say sometime folks mess up. In our case it was a good thing. For you, not so much, but do the little things suggested and don't take him back to that groomer. Hopefully, his fur will grow back beautifully and you'll have a funny story about him to tell years down the road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs