Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 872 times

Advertisements

Hello! So put directly i really want a dog sometime in the near future. I work 8 hours a day, go to the gym four times a week, and am in college currently taking classes online but might go back to the classroom. I am very routine, my schedule rarely shifts. I'm gone from my one bedroom apartment anywhere from 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week and come home at around the same time on those days. I've been doing a bunch of research and i really like the Australian shepherd breed, although i am open to other medium sized breeds (medium to long haired and not smelly). Am i right for an aussie? i'm willing to walk her 2 times a day and play with her at home, and on the weekends take her out. Let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,605,784 times
Aussies are very active dogs as are all the herding breeds so it sounds like you might be too busy right now.The active smart herding breeds are not dogs you want to be spending a lot of time at home doing nothing when you are gone or even when you are home as they will find things to do on their own and it is usually things you will not like such as rip up a couch or your bedding, chew holes in walls etc. They need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation everyday not just on weekends. The also are not really good apartment dogs as they tend to bark a lot and your neighbors will complain. There of course are exceptions as not all dogs in a breed are equal but most aussie fit what I just said pretty well.

I work full time and I have always had dogs and most of them have been herding breeds but I only work 3 shifts a week and they are 12 hr night shifts so I do short myself on sleep when I work my 3 shifts just so I can get up and take the dogs out for a at least 2 hours of fun.Fun means lots of off leash running in one of our off leash parks and playing with other dogs or beaches along with mental stimulation. My dogs have all learned to do agility too so that is a sport we can play together. I do not think just walking the dog 2 X day would be enough for the breed. I also have always had 2 or even 3 dogs so they are never alone so I am not some one that says you can not work full time and own a dog like some seem to feel but it just sounds like you may be too busy to take on a dog at this time. I will say DO NOT lie to yourself and say you can do it unless you are willing to give up some things to make time for a dog of any breed for the next 12-14 yrs as people that lie to themselves end up unhappy and often rehome the dog. Dogs are not something to get on a whim as they are long time commitments just like human kids are.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:03 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,131,216 times
An Aussie in an apartment with your schedule? It is a DISASTER waiting to happen and it won't be a long wait.

You want a very active, intelligent dog that will destroy your apartment out of boredom unless you are willing to totally change your lifestyle. Aussies require a job to do and since I doubt you have sheep (or anything else) for the dog to herd, that would mean getting involved in one or more dog sports expecially if you want to keep an Aussie in an apartment. It would also mean at least 2-3 hours a day of training and fun including at least an hour of good aerobic type exercise.

In fact, NO dog is going to be right for you right now even assuming one would be allowed in your apartment unless you are willing to make changes in your lifestyle AND arrangements to pay someone to help you with the dog's needs (and that means any breed/mix of any size from Toy to Giant).

Old 11-21-2015, 08:08 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Aussies are very active dogs as are all the herding breeds so it sounds like you might be too busy right now.The active smart herding breeds are not dogs you want to be spending a lot of time at home doing nothing when you are gone or even when you are home as they will find things to do on their own and it is usually things you will not like such as rip up a couch or your bedding, chew holes in walls etc. They need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation everyday not just on weekends. The also are not really good apartment dogs as they tend to bark a lot and your neighbors will complain. There of course are exceptions as not all dogs in a breed are equal but most aussie fit what I just said pretty well.

I work full time and I have always had dogs and most of them have been herding breeds but I only work 3 shifts a week and they are 12 hr night shifts so I do short myself on sleep when I work my 3 shifts just so I can get up and take the dogs out for a at least 2 hours of fun.Fun means lots of off leash running in one of our off leash parks and playing with other dogs or beaches along with mental stimulation. My dogs have all learned to do agility too so that is a sport we can play together. I do not think just walking the dog 2 X day would be enough for the breed. I also have always had 2 or even 3 dogs so they are never alone so I am not some one that says you can not work full time and own a dog like some seem to feel but it just sounds like you may be too busy to take on a dog at this time. I will say DO NOT lie to yourself and say you can do it unless you are willing to give up some things to make time for a dog of any breed for the next 12-14 yrs as people that lie to themselves end up unhappy and often rehome the dog. Dogs are not something to get on a whim as they are long time commitments just like human kids are.

I think Dashdog summed it up pretty well. Your life does sound pretty busy right now, and to add a very active breed of dog into the mix at this juncture could turn out to be a regretful decision. I have a border collie, and when I got him four years ago I was working full time outside the home; however, I also had another, older dog (a cattle dog mix) when I got Izzy. Because I worked relatively long hours, my life became very hectic for some time - getting up extremely early to ensure the dogs had plenty of time to exercise before I left the house; running home at lunch time to take them outside; running home after work and spending around 2 hours outside with the dogs again, along with play time after dinner. I was exhausted at the end of each work week, but still had to dedicate time for the dogs, and weekends were filled with hours of walks, off-leash exploration, and outdoor exercise for both, no matter how tired I was feeling.

My older dog is no longer with me, and my work schedule has changed dramatically since then, so Izzy (my border collie) does get a lot of attention and time to play. Being one of the herding breeds, he is constantly full of energy and wanting to play. He has been taught that there is down time along with play time, but his requirements for burning off that energy must be met, otherwise he could easily become bored and, ultimately, destructive. I couldn't imagine just walking Izzy twice a day; a walk would come nowhere near meeting his high energy level. He has to run, has to expend energy, and has to do this consistently, every day. The herding breeds tend to be high-wired, and anyone considering taking in one of these breeds must expect to dedicate a good deal of their free time with the dog, not only exercising them, but also challenging them with mental stimulation.

One thing you could consider doing, at least for the short term, might be volunteering with an animal shelter or rescue group, walking and exercising the dogs. Dedicate yourself to doing it every day, setting aside as many hours a day as you can. This way you will not only have the satisfaction of enjoying the company of dogs, but you will soon see if you are willing to maintain the time that it takes to have a dog in your life. If it becomes too time-consuming, then incorporate whatever hours you think would work for you into volunteering, and keep in mind that for now, a full-time dog simply doesn't fit. And at some point in the future the right dog will ultimately come along, once you have more freedom to offer.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,993,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifegoals95 View Post
i'm willing to walk her 2 times a day and play with her at home, and on the weekends take her out. Let me know your thoughts!
An Aussie puppy requires more than two walks a day and play at home. To keep a herding breed puppy happy will mean 2-3 age appropriate walks a day which by the time she is 6 months will mean two-three 1-1/2-2 hour walks a day plus attending a puppy class for socialization and to teach you how to train your dog, ongoing obedience classes, play at home would necessitate multiple short age-appropriate training sessions to reinforce group puppy class work, as well as multiple bouts of sheer just fun play and romps inside and outside. Add in time and patience to house break and crate train. All added up equals to at a minimum about 4-5 hours of dedicated daily of dog time to work with, play with, walk with a puppy to teach it how to be a good member of your household.

As another poster mentioned, my suggestion is to volunteer several hours a day with a shelter which will help you decide whether you have the time available to do justice to raising a puppy, and will also give you experience doing basic training, and help see if you have any allergy issues.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,575,649 times
You can have my aussie. I'm exhausted.

But seriously, they require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. We ended up getting a second dog (a border collie mix) because we couldn't keep up with the our aussie, despite two walks a day, playing in the yard, trips to the dog park, doggie day care, numerous toys, etc. The collie mix has helped tremendously, but they have a decent sized backyard to run around in. She still runs rings around him though.

Don't do it.

If you still want to get a dog, maybe consider adopting an adult dog (or two, so they are companions) known for a mellow disposition. Rescue groups are great for this kind of thing, as they will have experience with the dogs and know their temperaments.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,259,169 times
All excellent advice so far. As an Aussie lover and owner of seven Aussies over the past 25 years, I will confirm that your schedule is a disaster waiting to happen for a high energy, intelligent herding dog. You'd have to nix the gym and your college classes or your job.

A walk is not exercise for an Aussie...a walk, even a long walk, does not expend physical and mental energy for any active herding breed. They require fully engaged daily training to wear out their busy brains and daily hard physical activity (once their bodies are mature enough to handle it) to wear out their busier bodies.

Additionally, Aussies are not easy keepers. They have some health and temperament issues. They are not only a herding breed but also a guardian breed...folks so often forget that part. They require massive amounts of socialization to prevent a sharp, protective temperament and even then you may still end up with that. What I am trying to tell you is that the wrong Aussie can bite people. Some Aussies are total love bugs. Most are not. The breed standard describes them as reserved with strangers so you can imagine how that, coupled with a natural very protective nature, can easily go awry.

I have a very good friend who started out with Aussies and now has Border Collies. She is an fantastic trainer...one of the top trainers in our area. She feels that BCs are way easier than Aussies. Not that I am suggesting a BC for you...they have the same mental and physical requirements that Aussies have so your schedule is not well suited for them either. Just an indication of how challenging they can be.

Staying far away from working lines as well as far away from working/conformation lines and looking at conformation only lines can get you an easier Aussie.

You might consider a Mini Aussie...now called Miniature American Shepherd by AKC...from conformation only lines (no working line dogs in the puppy's background) and ask your well researched excellent breeder for the most laid back and friendly puppy. Minis are sometimes less energetic than regular Aussies...although I know many spitfire Minis...so that could possibly work but you'd still have to alter your lifestyle to include many more hours available for your dog IMO.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:29 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
All excellent advice so far. As an Aussie lover and owner of seven Aussies over the past 25 years, I will confirm that your schedule is a disaster waiting to happen for a high energy, intelligent herding dog.
I'm going to add to your post. The posters schedule is a disaster for ANY high energy breed, herding, hunting you name it. In fact- it's not a great idea to own any dog if you can't devote the time necessary to maintain a healthy animal- which means activity and lots of it! My wife is a stay at home manager /works p/t from home. I work from home 4 days a week. I would NOT own 2 GSP's if I could not devote a lot of time for them- and a lot of acreage!

Old 11-21-2015, 06:31 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifegoals95 View Post
Hello! So put directly i really want a dog sometime in the near future. I work 8 hours a day, go to the gym four times a week, and am in college currently taking classes online but might go back to the classroom. I am very routine, my schedule rarely shifts. I'm gone from my one bedroom apartment anywhere from 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week and come home at around the same time on those days. I've been doing a bunch of research and i really like the Australian shepherd breed, although i am open to other medium sized breeds (medium to long haired and not smelly). Am i right for an aussie? i'm willing to walk her 2 times a day and play with her at home, and on the weekends take her out. Let me know your thoughts!
Might I recommend a three-toed tree sloth? Just put trees in your apartment and their pretty much good to go..

Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,259,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Might I recommend a three-toed tree sloth? Just put trees in your apartment and their pretty much good to go..
LOL!

Actually, there are some couch potato dogs that might do pretty well but you'd still have to give up either the gym and college classes or the job. Doing all that just doesn't leave enough time for any canine companion IMO.

Retired racing greyhounds are relatively easy dogs. Low energy except when they spy a moving critter hence their requirement to be leashed at all times. Crate trained, leash trained and generally enjoy laying around more than many other breeds. Not potty trained but are usually easily taught. And stairs are often a new experience for them. Gentle temperament. Large but not hairy.

How about a cat? Abyssinians are very dog like by nature. An Aby would be much more demanding of your time than a typical cat but less so than a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs