Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
I can't afford to treat acres of land.
I said *Yard* not *land*,treat the area close to your home where the dog goes, up to about 50 feet.
The product we use is Seven, it kills many lawn bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,920,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
I can't afford to treat acres of land.
I think people assume everyone lives in town or the suburbs

We have 23 acres, so I get what you're saying. Not only is treating not feasible but not safe if there is livestock in your pasture.

If you own pasture, you're going to have to keep it bushogged to not only keep it in grazing condition but that will help keep the tick, flea population down.

We do have about 1/8th acre of fenced backyard and treat that on particularly bad flea years.

If you have carpet, you may have to have a professional come in and bomb the house. That means you folks and all the animals leaving for the day.

Having any sort of flooring that isn't carpet, helps a lot.

Buy a strong flea/tick shampoo, even if you have to buy it from the vet.

Sergeants always had a good shampoo but I can't find it anymore. All our WalMart carries is Adams.

We retired to Middle TN from the OH/PA border. Some things were quite an adjustment. I nearly threw up the first Spring I found ticks on my horses but I've gotten used to looking for, and removing them.

If your dog is outside a lot, you will have to check more frequently for ticks, since she goes into the woods. Ticks don't die in the cold months, they simply burrow further into the ground. That means you may see them on your Shepherd in the winter, along with the fleas

Old 12-29-2015, 01:35 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,826,722 times
I give my dog Nexgard.....it's expensive and the only one who got a tick bite this summer was me....but it works...

Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times
My Dachshund mix has been a tick magnet the last few weeks (tick season), and my wife had me rub him down with cedar oil to see if that would keep the ticks away. He now smells like cedar wood chips (actually, an improvement over musky hound smell), and has been tick-less for the last few days.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:56 PM

483 posts, read 655,892 times
We use Advantage - The one that treats ticks as well. My mom uses it for her animals and we live on 130 acres, it works.

Never had an issue, its pretty oily though. We put it on, then make the dogs wear their bandannas for a few days. Keeps you from accidentally rubbing your hands in it when you pet them.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,615,474 times
I'm surprised no one's mentioned food grade diatomaceous earth for eliminating the fleas inside your house. I bought some on Amazon. A little goes a long way, it's not that expensive, and it works really really well. Just apply it a few times to the dogs bedding and to your floors and you should eliminate your indoor problem. Supposedly you can dust your dog with it and even put a little in it's feed to prevent the fleas from getting on the dog, but I haven't done that. The only disadvantage to diatomaceous earth that I can think of is that it may damage the vaccuum cleaner when used long term. Frankly, I'd rather buy a few cheap vaccuums than deal with indoor fleas.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Revolution works great for us.

Fleas and tics.............our dog go though some of the nastiest areas on Earth.........neither had either.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,518,025 times
Tennessee dog owner here. Trifexis works amazing on our Lab for multiple things including fleas. It won't address ticks but she has never had flea #1 and our farmette has lots of animals.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 AM

105 posts, read 171,703 times
I'm going to look into some of these products you have all mentioned. Thank you for the advice!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:22 AM

16,286 posts, read 10,434,651 times
We live in a rural area too. Although our property is large, and fenced, I take them off leash for runs in the woods and fields often. In 13 years with 2 dogs at a time not one has been bitten by a snake which is exactly as I would expect.

So treating my yard won't work either. I have had great luck with the topicals. Frontline and Advantage are very expensive, I found a Hartz at a discount store that is working great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs