Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 PM

105 posts, read 171,554 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to a rural property with pasture and woods. My German Shepherd loves it, but now she has fleas and I've found some ticks. My vet sells a monthly oral medication for fleas, but I'm concerned about the reports I've read and it doesn't treat ticks. Any suggestions are most welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I like Advantage II for my dogs. A monthly application will keep the fleas and ticks off. They seemed to be immune to the Frontline I was using.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Yes, Frontline doesn't seem to be working here either.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Advantage works really wel but, it left an oily film on the dog I used the free sample on. It was well over two weeks before I stopped feeling that stuff on my hands

I have always had good luck with Frontline. I used it on the other dog and I haven't seen any ticks or fleas on him, not even with this 70+ F weather we've been having.

OP, is your German Shepherd a house dog or an outside dog? If she is outside, cedar shavings bedding helps deter fleas and ticks.

I adopted the neighbor's 12 yr old Lab when they moved; she has never been in the house. Cedar shavings bedding, in her Igloo house, really keep her clean and keeps the ticks & fleas off her.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:08 PM

My dog is an inside dog. She's inside and her fleas are inside ��

Old 12-28-2015, 09:13 PM

412 posts, read 451,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
My dog is an inside dog. She's inside and her fleas are inside ��
She picked up the fleas outside (or you did) and now the dog is their abode. You will have to treat the dog and probably the house to get rid of them.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:41 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Best thing I have ever used for flea infestation is "Archer IGR"
Amazon.com : Archer Insect Growth Regulator 16 oz : Home Pest Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Archer also makes an insecticide but I didn't feel a need to use it. I had six dogs running around and a heck of a flea problem. One complete treatment with Archer and a regular flea program for the animals cleared it up.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
In addition to treating the dog and home inside, treat your yard.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 AM

I can't afford to treat acres of land.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNhomesteading View Post
I can't afford to treat acres of land.
I hope you aren't letting the dog run without supervision; very dangerous thing to do in Tennessee.(or most everywhere else)

Between the snakes, coyotes, cars and farmers it is not a good idea. Dogs do not know what a property line is and sometimes it costs them their life. My neighbor up the road has goats and before he got his GP dog he had been finding some of them dead in the morning. He thought it was coyotes so he stayed up waiting and shot one. Turns out it was a neighbors German shepherd dogs doing it. The neighbor was over a mile away and would just let the dogs run at night because "they lived in the country". You would be surprised how far a dog will roam when they are able.

If you do decide to let them run at least get them a snake bit innoculation; it won't maske them immune but will help them survive the bites.

I fenced the area of about an acre immediately around my house for my dogs. I will take them on supurvised walks on the rest of my property. I only treat the fenced in area for insects. You are right that you probably can't afford to treat the entire property. Best thing to do is cut walking trails for you & your dogs and treat those once a year. Another option would be let the dogs take a flea bath after their walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs