Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,606 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I found the number of the person who had scheduled the home visit and called her. She handles most of the scheduling and was really suprized that I had not been contacted. She then made some phone calls and called me back and said my first email and phone call had fallen through the crack, but they did recieve my second round of calls/emails and would get back to me. I received an email last night that they felt that the dog should be put in an all-adult household and would get back to me with the details. I haven't heard anything further.

The dog has been very good today. I won't let the kids around her except to walk by. It really breaks my heart. We have just moved here and they had to say goodbye to everyone and now we have to say goodbye to a new friend. The positive encouragement helps to know I am doing the right thing. If there weren't kids around I would keep her and try to work this out. I have told the kids that we will get a puppy and try to keep their focus on that. Hopefully, the rescue will find her a new home soon. She is already listed again on the website.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Great news on finally a response hope get the dog soon and rehome where should be.

Tell children that you just did not want them getting hurt so dog has to go to a place with no kids and nobody at your house is at fault.Tell them it had a bad home before where kids may have been mean to it and so it scares and nips at them to protect self.
Then go to local shelter and look at puppies that need a home,see if will do a weekend home visit see if fits in well. Then have them learn that being nice to puppy when young will not be scared like other dog was.

Keep a picture of this dog so kids will have the memories even though not with you long.Rather the dog go before hurts someone and have child scared of a dog because got hurt by one.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 23,451 times
you said she had an ear infection - is it cleared up - was your daughter petting her near her ear - possible she has pain in that area - you did not mention whether she has any toys - labs need lots of chewy kind of toys and usually love to retrieve balls and stuff - they also love to swim - try keeping her away from the table while you guys are eating and have your daughter sit on the floor and call the dog to come play fetch - at not eating times - the training classes are a great idea - make sure to involve all of your kids in the classes so that everyone knows what they should/should not be doing - keeping labs off furniture is a job - good luck with that.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Petnanny, that post is almost 7 months old and the OP never returned to give us the final word on what happened...but good advice nontheless. Hopefully someone can use it in the future!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Sounds to me like a typical rescue dog. The poor thing probably had a bad start at life! Maybe one with abuse and neglect. How many homes has she been in? Your home right now might be too much for her....all the kids, noise and quick actions. She might have come from a quieter home and is just not adjusting as quick as you would like her to or expect her to. It will probably take time. Meanwhile I would have the kids back off on her for a while until she adjusts more. Good luck, rescue dogs are the best!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
How do these outdated post like these pop up? I never even look at the dates!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
It sounds to me like this dog has had some abuse in the past and has learned that people do what she wants when she snaps. That's tricky. I would feel some obligation to work with the dog to fix the problem, but I would also feel obligated to protect my children. I wouldn't want them to (i) get bitten or (ii) develop fear or reservation about dogs. As many have mentioned, if you want to work with the dog this will be a very involved process that demands a lot of resources in terms of time and probably money as well.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
How do these outdated post like these pop up? I never even look at the dates!
New people join CD. Looking at early posts for information. I sometimes check out old posts just to get a feel for the other members ideas. A way to get to know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs