Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 AM

231 posts, read 334,835 times

Advertisements

Dog is 12 years old with double coat. She does not shiver outside or indoors and gets too hot if the heater is on 78 or higher. It's very cold outside since it is winter. Sometimes I wear two sweatshirts and 2 jackets when I take my dog out for potty and I am still cold.

My local shelter is asking people to donate dog coats and I have two for her that I rarely use. Should I donate them or does my dog need a coat as she ages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:11 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
How cold does it get in your area?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,156 times
I would call your vet and ask for advice. They know what risks older dog takes during winter and can answer your question as to why she doesn't shiver. They can recommend what signs you should watch out for and if the coat is necessary.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
How long is she staying out? Since she's double coated I believe she should be fine if she's only going out long enough to go potty. She shouldn't be out longer than that even with a coat, because of her paw pads. Does she seem anxious to put her coat on before going outside? My dogs do when it gets really cold. They have thin, short coats. The dog I had that was double coated loved to be out in the cold, even at 15. I didn't let her stay out long though.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
My last dog, at 12 years old, was still handling the really frigid winter days here (between -30 to -35 Celcius) with no problem. She was active, and I'd take her out and she'd be exploring and running about. However, when she was 13, I noticed that she was acting differently that winter, once the deep freeze hit. Kaya just wasn't as eager to be outdoors for as long, and she wasn't exploring quite as much. So I invested in a coat for her at that point, and she wore it for the winter and enjoyed the outdoors a bit more. Her last winter was when she was 14, and she was really starting to be affected by the cold at that point...even with a coat on, during the really cold days she just couldn't tolerate it for very long.

So I'd suggest that you hang on to your dog's coat. As she ages she may very well start becoming more sensitive to the outdoor extremes, and if she does, you'll be glad to have that coat handy.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Hi, thank you for all of the replies. When it's cold, we want her only to potty and come back in but she still wants to roam around. However, I think I will keep the coats for her future as she is an 2xl or 3xl and it is not easy finding clothes for a dog her size.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Most the coats they look for are Toy size. Most toy breeds don't have a 2nd undercoat in winter. Older dogs with Thyroid problems also need coats...thyroid causes them not to grow a 2nd winter coat. I would keep them for your dog. You know when s/he needs to wear them

Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Just keep one of the coats just in case she needs it later on and donate the other one. Dogs age and they start feeling stuff they never felt before just the way people age, too and they notice their muscles are stiff, they feel cold more easily, etc. My friends' dog is 12 years old, too and until recently she was going up and down the stairs with ease and elegance. The last six months she slips on the stairs and falls back to the corners of steps. She has to be carried down the stairs all the time now, but proud lady that she is tries to go up the stairs and she succeeds most of the time, but sometimes maybe because of her joint pain she tries and falls into the corners of steps (probably to stop her rolling down the stairs), then she has to be carried up the rest of the way. I wonder if dogs know that they are getting old and do they get frustrated, anxious or down about it. When I visit, I see the changes and she sometimes has the face shivering, though it has nothing to do with the temperature. I think it is related to aging, but it happens for a few minutes and it's gone. You wish they could stay young forever.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 PM

I can't find the other coat as I moved last month but it is more like a fall coat than winter so I think I will keep both.

I think dogs know that their bodies are changing and they get frustrated, anxious and depressed so it's good to pay extra attention to them. My dog used to be very confident. She was the biggest dog in the neighborhood so other dogs didn't scare her. Now, she does not like bigger dogs because I think she is insecure as she ages. I heard that this is just like how humans get as we get older.

I used to allow my dog to jump on my bed, sofa, stairs and the car and allowed her to chew hard treats that would keep her busy. Over the years, I had to take away some of the things that she used to love but I replaced with other things. She used to eye my bed and then tried to make eye contact with me hoping that I would change my mind. I am glad that I stopped her before she started getting hurt. I wish I could carry her but she is too heavy. It's really sad raising an older dog but she is still funny and acts like a big baby.

Last edited by nomnom; 01-20-2016 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I can't find the other coat as I moved last month but it is more like a fall coat than winter so I think I will keep both.

I think dogs know that their bodies are changing and they get frustrated, anxious and depressed so it's good to pay extra attention to them. My dog used to be very confident. She was the biggest dog in the neighborhood so other dogs didn't scare her. Now, she does not like bigger dogs because I think she is insecure as she ages. I heard that this is just like how humans get as we get older.

I used to allow my dog to jump on my bed, sofa, stairs and the car and allowed her to chew hard treats that would keep her busy. Over the years, I had to take away some of the things that she used to love but I replaced with other things. She used to eye my bed and then tried to make eye contact with me hoping that I would change my mind. I am glad that I stopped her before she started getting hurt. I wish I could carry her but she is too heavy. It's really sad raising an older dog but she is still funny and acts like a big baby.
It is sad to see a furry friend grow older, similar to watching parents get older. Makes you wish that everyone can stay forever young, but that's not the natural order of things. As furry friends age, the only thing we can do is keep them as happy and healthy for as long as we can.

Good idea to keep both coats - hope you find the other one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs