Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 PM

231 posts, read 334,771 times

Advertisements

So, this is my and dog's first time living in an apartment together. There is suppose to be 8-12 inches of snow on Saturday so I am concerned. Would it be better if I took my dog back to her old house or should she stay in an apt? Does it matter? The only thing is if the apartment maintenance people do not clear out the snow, where would my dog potty? She only goes outside and I don't have a shovel. At my parents' house, my dad would probably clear the snow for her. Is there something else that I haven't thought about with regard to my dog's safety during a blizzard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
If the maintenance people don't clear the snow, I'd be on the phone to the landlord, dog or no dog!
If people have trampled a path she should be OK, if she's not a small dog.
A shovel is not that expensive, and I'm sure you can shovel a small path just as well as your father does, if the maintenance is that poor. If it were me, I'd be on the phone complaining, but shovel out a couple of feet off of the walkway if my dog needed to go before anyone got there.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even think of calling maintenance. I don't know how maintenance is about the snow as I only lived here for a month and this is the first time it is going to snow since I have been here. I can buy a shovel but there is no where to store it after I use it as there isn't much storage space here. My dog is big but I have private entrances so there isn't much foot traffic right in front or back of my apt. I'm just wondering if there are any advantages for my dog to be at my parents' house than here during the blizzard.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
No need to take him to your parent's house.

If maintenance doesn't shovel for you, just walk up and down a couple of times and make about a 10 foot path with your boots. He'll be fine finding a spot since you've told us he's big.

If you don't put a leash on him normally, I suggest you do when the blizzard is blowing hard. Some dogs get kind of freaky with the sounds of the wind and things rattling, and he might run off into the storm. Then you'll be in a mess trying to find him in white-out conditions.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:50 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Have you never shoveled snow?
Or is it you who is afraid to stay alone in a storm?

Just make sure you have food for yourself and the dog. You are over thinking this.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:53 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
You can buy a cheap snow shovel for under ten bucks and clear a spot for the dog yourself. A foot of snow could even be moved with your foot to create a spot for the dog to go. Worst case you take the dog out into the parking lot to poop.

DON'T PANIC!

Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the advice. I made space for her and she peed twice but she still has not pooped. Normally, she would have went at least once already. I fed her brown rice with chicken broth and flax seed which help her go usually but she still wouldn't go. I even made a path for her to cross the street where she usually goes and commanded her to do her business many many times. I even walked her around and found an area that has a little bit of grass. She still wouldn't go and now she is constipated and I am cold and itchy from the cold. She won't go inside so I don't know what to do.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Dogs can be very funny about pooping in different circumstances. I had an issue with one dog years ago when the dogs couldn't use our yard for a few days, and she was refusing to poop on walks. She held it for over 48 hours as I remember, and she poops a couple of times a day normally. But when she finally broke down and pooped, she had no problems going. I think you can wait a couple of days before you worry. (Well if you're like me you'll worry anyway, and you can always call the vet for advice, but I think she'll do fine when she decides to go)

Old 01-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will try to worry less but I think it will be on my mind until the business gets done. The whole time I was outside I just kept thinking why couldn't she just pick a spot and go...

Next time I am preparing for a blizzard, I will be adding pumpkin to my grocery list.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Firstly, I can't imagine not leashing your dog for going out at the apartment, but that's another story.
My dog, Pitstop, has learned to deal with snow a little better, but she can hold her poop for a day or two when the snow is falling. And, I have to clear a spot for her. We keep some of those puppy training pads around for extreme weather conditions, and she will use them when she has to. They work well for small dogs.

A few times during our apartment living, or at a hotel, she would end up dropping some waste in the hallway, so I have always made sure I had a waste bag with me for that event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs