Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,442 times

Advertisements

Thanks again. Im still going through with this. It just feels right.

I'm through the first two parts of their screening process. I was a little nervous when they asked me about crate training because I know some rescues are anti crate training. But my past dog did good with it, she liked her crate and it was like a second bed for her. She'd go there when she was sick or scared. So I told them the truth, that I think crate training is good for dogs because it keeps them safe and provides them with their own space if they want it. I realized after I told them my fence height that the gate is lower at 5 feet. I hope that's not a problem. I am never going to leave her out in the yard alone anyway. It's too small and just a patio and small garden. Not even any grass. My hope was to bring her running with me and dog park for exercise.

Now I have an appointment to meet the dog. This rescue has its dogs out on a farm so it's a bit of a drive. I'm excited to meet her.

I've been trying to figure out what she is. They say lab mix on the website but she white with very pale reddish spots and reddish freckels. She's an adult and 40 pounds. I think she looks like a lab pointer mix but maybe she is a lab Britney spaniel mix since pointers are bigger and she's medium at best. I just want to read up on the breeds she might be to better understand her genetics. Lab seems dominant though.

Last edited by BellaLind; 03-18-2016 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect messed up a few words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Good luck!

The rescue I got Jazz from at first said I could not have her because I did not have a big fenced yard. I live in a condo and had a fenced patio. So I told them how most dogs I know are not happy being outside alone and will stand and look in the door if the owner is not out with them. If I had to be out with her we might at least go have adventures at exciting places.Where I live there are lots of fun places to take a dog so her life was full of adventures we had together. I told them I had what dogs need the most and that is an owners time. She was a border collie X cattle dog and despite not having a yard she had a long happy life with me.People that met her always commented on what a happy dog she was. I have several places nearby that allow dogs off leash so no she never missed having a yard and she learned agility so had a good outlet for her energy.

When I adopted Dash the local humane society also said NO because he was a border collie X springer spaniel and " needed a large yard" I told them what I told the rescue with Jazz and they still were leaning towards no. I said Well let me bring my other dog ( Jazz) to meet him then you can decide and they felt that was fair. So I brought Jazz and they saw what a well behaved high energy dog she was ( Dash was a fraction of her energy) and they saw how happy she was and decided I knew what I was doing and let me have Dash.

Both dogs had great lives doing agility and having adventures with me and I really do not think they missed not having a yard of their own . I think mental stimulation is also very important when you own these types of dogs and just built that into our walks and playtime. They did not bark and annoy neighbors, outside of that first puppy year of Jazz's they did not destroy things they seemed very happy and content.

So if they hesitate and you feel like you and the dog are a good match sell what you do have to offer a dog as I have proof it can work.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Good luck!

The rescue I got Jazz from at first said I could not have her because I did not have a big fenced yard. I live in a condo and had a fenced patio. So I told them how most dogs I know are not happy being outside alone and will stand and look in the door if the owner is not out with them. If I had to be out with her we might at least go have adventures at exciting places.Where I live there are lots of fun places to take a dog so her life was full of adventures we had together. I told them I had what dogs need the most and that is an owners time. She was a border collie X cattle dog and despite not having a yard she had a long happy life with me.People that met her always commented on what a happy dog she was. I have several places nearby that allow dogs off leash so no she never missed having a yard and she learned agility so had a good outlet for her energy.

When I adopted Dash the local humane society also said NO because he was a border collie X springer spaniel and " needed a large yard" I told them what I told the rescue with Jazz and they still were leaning towards no. I said Well let me bring my other dog ( Jazz) to meet him then you can decide and they felt that was fair. So I brought Jazz and they saw what a well behaved high energy dog she was ( Dash was a fraction of her energy) and they saw how happy she was and decided I knew what I was doing and let me have Dash.

Both dogs had great lives doing agility and having adventures with me and I really do not think they missed not having a yard of their own . I think mental stimulation is also very important when you own these types of dogs and just built that into our walks and playtime. They did not bark and annoy neighbors, outside of that first puppy year of Jazz's they did not destroy things they seemed very happy and content.

So if they hesitate and you feel like you and the dog are a good match sell what you do have to offer a dog as I have proof it can work.
My dog was the happiest when we lived in NYC and walked everywhere. The fenced-in backyard requirement is such BS. Dogs need to be walked. I had the same experience when I had my fenced-in backyard, the dogs would go out and then sit and the door and wait for me to open the door. I am in a townhouse now and my dog loves to walk and meet people and other dogs and sniff all the doggie communication that have been left along the sidewalk. If you are a responsible owner and walk your dogs a lot, you shouldn't need a yard at all.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,080 times
I had put my beloved 10.5 year old Cocker Spaniel Chester down on Feb 2nd due to cancer and some other things. Yesterday I went out to the local animal shelter and adopted a very sweet 3 year old female Cairn Terrier mix. I had always wanted to adopt a rescue, but Chester was an alpha male and didn't want to share the house with anyone but me!

With a few days after his death, I knew I wanted to do the adoption and wanted another dog in the house. I just waited until St Paddy's Day since that was day 1 of a long vacation I was taking (planned way before Chester's death), which means I have a bunch of time off now to get the dog acquainted with me and her new home. Within hours of bringing her home tho - she's pretty much already made herself at home here! Such a sweet dog. I totally lucked out finding her.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
IMO there is no reason to wait. If you find a dog you like, go for it.

Losing a dog is not like when a spouse dies and you are expected to wait some period of time before you remarry. You can get a new dog while still mourning the one you lost.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
I think it depends on each person. When I was growing up, my mom would get new dogs within a few weeks of one passing, but then she had this one dog, that when he died, she swore off dogs because any other dog could never be like THAT dog. It has been at least 10 years (maybe more?) and she has not ever gotten another dog.

We lost a dog a few years ago and we got a new one about a year later. Then a year after that we got a second one.

We had four cats, and have not replaced them as they've crossed the bridge - we have one remaining (she's almost 19 years old) and may get two kittens once she passes, but not before then - we'll take some time off from cats and decide if we want to make that kind of commitment.

Chances are, when these two dogs cross the bridge (one is 11-12 years old, the other 3-4 years old), we may opt not to have ANY pets any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs