Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:18 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
The only one that can answer that question is you. Some people seem to feel if they get a new dog " too soon" it shows disrespect to the old dog. I do not see it that way at all instead I see it as you loved having a dog in your life so much that you can not imagine life without one. I feel any past dog would be honored to know you felt that way...
I have a brother-in-law who had a very sick (kidney failure, suffering terribly, death was imminent) Aussie Shepherd who had her put down, it was the humane and in my opinion only thing to do. Regrettably, he then got a new Aussie about three hours later. In my opinion, for what it's worth, way too soon. It totally cheapened the life of the previous dog, as if she were disposable. (A lot had to do with his selfish now-ex-wife, who could care less about the dog's suffering, she just wanted a dog in the house, and would not even consider making proper end-of-life decisions.)

My wife and I haven't gotten a new dog since Roxy left us four weeks ago. We will get a new one when ready, no rush, when the right rescue comes along we'll know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:29 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
A dog gives a lot of comfort. At the time that you lose a beloved pet, that is the time when you could really use a lot of comfort.

I would not criticize anyone who obtained a new dog very quickly

Old 03-17-2016, 12:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I was wondering, is there even a time that's a good time to wait before getting another dog? How do you know it's time to still mourn and when is it time to move forward?

I lost my sweet dog of 16 years just a few weeks ago... A little more than two weeks ago. I'm serious considering adopting another dog in the next couple of weeks. I didn't intend to, I though I would wait for a couple of months. But something about this dog I found on a rescue site calls to me and I want to seriously consider adopting her.

Now I've never been the type to mourn for long. I am intensely sad and cry a lot for about a week and then I seem to move on. Even with people I love. The only exception was when my dad died and it took much longer. But he was my dad and he died young. Everyone else I've lost, human or pet, died after living a long, full, happy life. My last dog was no exception. Don't get me wrong I still very much love and miss them, but I accept things quickly.

I'm not replacing my dog. This dog Im interested in is different from my old dog. Not only looks but also in temperament if the description on the rescue site is correct. My last dog was very intelligent and serious. While she wasn't mean, she was aloof and bonded only to me and gave other's the cold shoulder. My dog disliked other dogs. The dog I'm looking at is friendly and loves people and is dog friendly.

I actually wanted another dog for some time, but I thought getting one would be unfair to my elderly dog. Maybe stressful for her too.

I think even though it's only been a short while, I'm ready for another dog. My mom thinks I'm doing this too soon and my boyfriend keeps warning me that whatever dog I get wont be my old one. But I don't feel it's too soon because I'd been thinking about this long before my other dog died. And I want a dog different than my old one. I still love my old dog, but I don't want to replace her. Just open my heart and home up to a homeless dog who would enjoy being spoiled.

On the other hand one friend told me this morning that he thought it was great and wished me luck with the adoption. I was wondering, is there even a time that's a good time to wait before getting another dog? How do you know it's time to still mourn and when is it time to move forward?

Now it might turn out that this dog and I aren't a good match. And these questions might be moot, But it might work out too.

In the end I feel it's right, but listening to a few others put some seeds of doubt in my head. Maybe it will be clearer after I meet the dog.
It sounds as if you've got your head on straight about this. What you feel is what's important. Nobody else can 1) tell you it's time or too soon or too late because 2) everyone mourns differently. Go with your gut. Tell them you appreciate their input but that your soul is telling you what to do and that your soul is telling you it's time for a new journey with a new partner. Best of luck to you and I am sure there is a very fortunate dog out there waiting to share hearts with you.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:23 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
I agree with so many previous posters...follow your heart. In fact, look at it this way...adopting another pet would be a loving tribute to the pet you recently said goodbye too. (((hugs))) to you.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Every time I have lost a dog I have said I will wait a few months. I have never lasted longer than 2 weeks. If you can give a needy dog a good home, go for it, save a life. You are taking nothing away from the memory of your previous pet at all. All mine have been rescues so I know they would understand when I rescue another, even if it is not long after their death.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:24 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
You will know when the time is right, but I believe that every dog that has had a wonderful home would want another dog to have that same advantage. One dog saved in a rescue gives safe haven to another not-so-lucky dog. My suggestion is to be open to it now and the right time will come.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
It really all depends on you. Listen to your heart.

A few years ago a good friend of mine lost an animal that she dearly loved. His death was very sudden and unexpected and she was pretty traumatised and at a loss of what to do with this huge hole in her life where he had been. Only a couple of days after it happened she told me about another animal that she had noticed that needed a special kind of home and she felt called to adopt him. She needed to be told that yes it is okay to get another one and no it does not mean you didn't love the first or that you are just replacing him. He had a wonderful life with so much love and it would be a terrible shame not to use all of that love to make another needy animals life happier and better. Within two weeks she brought this other animal into her life and he helped her to get through those long hard weeks of grieving. No he did not replace the first and never will. But she has another to love who needs her just as much as the first. And she is whole again because she followed her heart.

Your dog wants you to be happy. He wants all of that love you have to give to a needy animal not to be wasted. Do what your gut says is right. Don't worry about what other people think. They are not the ones living your life.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM

298 posts, read 704,570 times
When our beloved babies leave us, it leaves a spot for another needy soul to join our lives. So do what feels right whether 2 days, 2 months or 2 years.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
It is about what feels right for you. When Sophie died last year we were at a complete loss of what to do with ourselves we went to the shelter that day and looked at dogs but none were the right fit. The next day another shelter posted about an old sweet dog that was dumped there a month ago and had no potential adopters due to her age. We went and got her the next day, she needed us, we needed her and even though she's 15 I appreciate any time I have with her. We hiked 5 miles last Saturday, she's still going strong.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times
So sorry for your loss.

When we lost our last dog, we vowed we would not get another one. It was too painful.
Five weeks later, we had another dog. We just missed her so much.
I think perhaps we should have waited a bit longer, as we made an impulse choice, and probably not the best choice for us. But she has become a lovely pup, and we can't give up on her.

In the end, I think each case and person is different.
If it feels like the right time to get another dog, do it.
I'm sure the dog you lost would be very happy to give its spot with you to another dog who needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs