Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is there even a time that's a good time to wait before getting another dog? How do you know it's time to still mourn and when is it time to move forward?

I lost my sweet dog of 16 years just a few weeks ago... A little more than two weeks ago. I'm serious considering adopting another dog in the next couple of weeks. I didn't intend to, I though I would wait for a couple of months. But something about this dog I found on a rescue site calls to me and I want to seriously consider adopting her.

Now I've never been the type to mourn for long. I am intensely sad and cry a lot for about a week and then I seem to move on. Even with people I love. The only exception was when my dad died and it took much longer. But he was my dad and he died young. Everyone else I've lost, human or pet, died after living a long, full, happy life. My last dog was no exception. Don't get me wrong I still very much love and miss them, but I accept things quickly.

I'm not replacing my dog. This dog Im interested in is different from my old dog. Not only looks but also in temperament if the description on the rescue site is correct. My last dog was very intelligent and serious. While she wasn't mean, she was aloof and bonded only to me and gave other's the cold shoulder. My dog disliked other dogs. The dog I'm looking at is friendly and loves people and is dog friendly.

I actually wanted another dog for some time, but I thought getting one would be unfair to my elderly dog. Maybe stressful for her too.

I think even though it's only been a short while, I'm ready for another dog. My mom thinks I'm doing this too soon and my boyfriend keeps warning me that whatever dog I get wont be my old one. But I don't feel it's too soon because I'd been thinking about this long before my other dog died. And I want a dog different than my old one. I still love my old dog, but I don't want to replace her. Just open my heart and home up to a homeless dog who would enjoy being spoiled.

On the other hand one friend told me this morning that he thought it was great and wished me luck with the adoption. I was wondering, is there even a time that's a good time to wait before getting another dog? How do you know it's time to still mourn and when is it time to move forward?

Now it might turn out that this dog and I aren't a good match. And these questions might be moot, But it might work out too.

In the end I feel it's right, but listening to a few others put some seeds of doubt in my head. Maybe it will be clearer after I meet the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I really like having a dog in the house and so we only waited about 6 weeks before getting another rescue dog from a foster home. I saw her picture on their site and knew she was the dog for us. We've since gotten her a sister from the pound and our doggie family is complete for now.

Your situation sounds a lot like ours. We took good care of our girl as she got older and started having health problems and we did everything we could to make her comfortable as she declined. She also never wanted another dog around. But after she passed I found myself on the websites looking at other dogs, even though I felt a little guilty. But like you said, we weren't replacing her, but opening our home up to another.

So if you think you're ready, you're ready. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:51 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
when it feels right to you is when its right...

everyone is different...for me I cant imagine every being without a dog...so if I lost one it wouldn't take long for me to be opening my heart for the next one to find me...
for other folks they need a period of grieving, it took one of my friends almost 6 years before he decided he was ready for a new pet after his dog died....

You do whats right for you....
when it feels right it IS right no matter what anyone sas, as long as your not looking for a "replacement" (as in a replica of the one you lost) no one has any right to tell you when your ready.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:36 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
.....But something about this dog I found on a rescue site calls to me and I want to seriously consider adopting her.

I say go for it. I am sure your previous dog would want you to have another companion.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
When it feels right. Personally, I feel awful without a dog. Heck, with my old girl, I had her "understudy" dog adopted before she passed - she didn't have long according to the vet and the perfect dog was already in a foster home nearby. Of course, the old girl held on for a good 6 months longer than expected, which was a pleasant surprise. The new dog liked to sleep next to her, especially when she wasn't feeling well.

A guy I know who is a combat vet with PTSD literally went out the next day and adopted a dog from a shelter when his ancient pit bull had to be put down. I suspect he just needed the companionship and the calming influence of a dog. My best friend waited 6 months to adopt a new dog after her coonhound died. Everyone is different.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
As others have said, when it feels right, go for it ... When I lost my Airedale, Bandit, in 1993, it was almost 3 years before I was ready for another dog, but when I lost my German Shorthaired Pointer, Rusty, in 2011, I adopted my current dog, a Standard Poodle, Tucker, within 3 months. I think that maybe because Rusty was very old -- like your girl, he was 16 -- I was probably more resigned to his passing than with Bandit who was only 12, and was ill only about 6 months.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
My Toby, a lovable Sheltie, died almost a year ago.
Fortunately, I have his lifelong buddy, Tyler, still hanging around.
Some people may not be able to afford two dogs, but if one goes, you have the other for hugs and moral support.

After Tyler, not sure which way may go, maybe fostering, so I can have all of the love and very little of the heartbreak.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
We had to put down our peke Sasha (congestive heart failure) in Nov of 2007 and got Caesar the peke
in Jan of 2008...the house seemed so empty that I wanted another dog soon after Sasha was gone. I guess
it depends on how you feel about it, everyone is different.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
The only one that can answer that question is you. Some people seem to feel if they get a new dog " too soon" it shows disrespect to the old dog. I do not see it that way at all instead I see it as you loved having a dog in your life so much that you can not imagine life without one. I feel any past dog would be honored to know you felt that way.

I have always gotten the next dog when one of the others starts to show signs that life may be ending, be it old age or a terminal disease. After my first dog I have always had at least 2 dogs and then 3 when I reach this point. I like the fact my old dog and a new dog knew each other and every time it seems to have put some spunk back in the old sick dogs life as well as give the other older dog some one to hang out with. It has always worked well for me and it gets me involved in a new dogs life so I do not sit around feeling sad for too long. The dogs are never replacements, they are new friends.

I have stated on here many times that while it is sad that dogs have such short lives, if they lived as long as we do as that would mean I would have missed out on knowing many great dogs and that would be even sadder. Each has been so very special in its own way. I did have that very special once in a life time dog, Jazz and I see our relationship as an honor that God trusted me with such a difficult high energy intelligent dog as she became such a fantastic dog.She was in my life in a time that I needed that and could handle that.

When Jazz and Dash got old and Dash had nasal cancer I added Dazzle who ws 8 months old. Friends felt I should not add such a young dog but Dash loved him from day one and I think it gave the poor old guy a purpose and that was babysitter when I went to work. Jazz threatened him and avoided him but when her best buddy Dash died, she decided Dazzle was not so bad after all and started playing with him.

As for seeing a photo of a dog and feeling a connection well I think you need to look into it. Both Dazzle and Chaos started out as Photos that I felt a connection with. Dazzle came from a breeder and there were several dogs of hers that she sent me photos of and something about his called out to me. I told her my top 3 picks but did not rank them and from what I said I wanted in a dog and planned to do with the dog she said Dazzle ( not his name at the time) would be my best choice so we both had picked him as #1 and I have no regrets as he is such a fantastic dog.

When I got Chaos I had Dazzle and Phoenix ( she was a dog that I had rehomed with my parents for a few years then I took back after they died). Phoenix was old and had kidney disease so I started thinking about getting another dog. I had decided no more young puppies years ago as Jazz had been a difficult puppy and adding an older puppy or adult was easier. People started sending me photos of dogs on Facebook and one was an adorable red merle aussie puppy with beautiful blue eyes that was with a rescue . I thought OMG she is so pretty but she is a puppy. So I did not even ask about her.A couple weeks later a friend posted a photo of a young puppy at a high kill shelter in Texas and I do not even know what it was about that photo but it screamed I am your dog! Despite my no more puppies rule I called the shelter and found out I could do an out of state adoption ( I am in Calif) so that is how Chaos came into my life. I have no regrets she was an easy puppy and is 5 now and I still feel she was meant to be my dog.

So If you feel this connection with the photo of a dog do check it out as when you meet the dog you will know if it is the right time or not.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:18 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs