Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times

Advertisements

I have a Riccar Supralite RSL4. Simplicity has an identical model...they are made by the same company and in the USA. Great suction...so much suction that this baby acts like a power propelled vacuum cause if I let go it drives itself along the carpet. Very lightweight (9 lbs.) and easy to grip handle. I have pretty substantial CMC joint arthritis (just had one thumb joint replaced) so weight and ease of grip are factors for me. It's a bagged upright. I think it ran around $400 but we got a discount for turning in my ancient, barely breathing Electrolux upright.

I dislike bagless cause no matter how hard you try some stuff ends up in the air when emptying. Although I do use an old 9 lb. bagless Eureka (Boss Superlite) for vacuuming dog hair off the bed...it is smaller than the Riccar and it's cord caddy bottom lip is in the perfect place for my other hand to grip when maneuvering over the top and sides of the comforter. But it's performance doesn't even come close to the Riccar for floors/carpets. I know it seems illogical but I find that Eureka upright a little easier to use for the bed than my new 5 lb. corded hand held Eureka Easy Clean.

My first lightweight upright vacuum was an Oreck but it behaved badly...required periodic store maintenance to function and could not fit under some furniture nor even the kitchen/bathroom lower cabinets so useless for edging in those rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:49 PM

296 posts, read 364,493 times
If I had that many animals I would absolutely have to have a Roomba Pet Series as a supplemental vacuum. Then you can teach your cats to ride it! Tormenting the dogs while doing so is optional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9wHkkNGUU

Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
I just purchased the Shark Rotator and already I love it. It has great attachments (guys always love gadgets) and how easy everything interchanges. I easily maneuvered from wall to wall carpeting, to tile, to hardwood floors, to area rugs with ease. The dust bin was a breeze to empty compared to the Hoover Animal vac. We have 3 dogs and 6 cats, which equates to lots of hair. My old unit used to clog up pretty easily, but not the new unit.
Totally recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
After having had two dyson, which are great but... , we went with a Sebo And LOVE IT !

Just like others post, prior to the dyson, I swear I was going through a vac every two years. It was not just even long haired dogs, - the beater bars etc seems to be problematic at best.
Once having gotten a Dyson, I thought finally my search was over... Did a great job, to empty the canister every time I used it was nice.. but then the problems started. As the vac repair guy would told/showed us- the moving parts have turned to plastic- they do wear out with rattles etc. Dyson did stand by their warrenty and sent us a new vac after 4 years- ... However- that one also turned at about the same time- in 3 years... Finally we gave up, traded our dyson in at a Vac Store, on a New Sebo.

Love Love Love the Sebo ! Lightweight, very powerful, the beater bar you can slid out to get long hair off of it etc. The vac is so powerful that what they state is true- you can turn it on in a room, and it will take the dust out of the air. Literally ! Hard to believe how much dust gets into carpets etc that the Dyson basiclaly just ran over.
While Sebo does use bags, we go through a bag about every 4 to 6 weeks. Considering the number of dogs I have, and I use my vac daily on average, that is actually quite a bit. So- once a year- I buy a box of bags for 24 dollars....

Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
If I had that many animals I would absolutely have to have a Roomba Pet Series as a supplemental vacuum. Then you can teach your cats to ride it! Tormenting the dogs while doing so is optional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9wHkkNGUU
I had a friend, who passed away recently, but she use to do alot of work for border collie rescue. She did this rescue work for over 30 years, but as she progressed in age, it became harder and harder to keep her remaining charges busy with a task.
Her solution- yes- get a Roomba.. She would turn it on and the dogs had a ball herding it around the floor.
She ended up with Several Roombas- all set at different times to entertain the dogs. ( and as she said " I also had the cleanest floors " ... )

Old 03-31-2016, 06:29 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I buy throw rugs & Toss in the Washer 2x month.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 8,644 times
Sorry for being a bit late to the party, I just found this thread and wanted to offer my two cents. I second RenW's opinion above and suggest that a Roomba might be a worthy investment.

You didn't mention what was causing your vacuums to break, is it the sheer amount of pet hair getting stuck in the bristles?

If that is the case, the newer models of Roomba don't use rotating brushes, they have rubber rollers instead and makes cleaning the pet hair out of the vacuum much, much easier.

Any of these models will do: Roomba 860, 880, 960, or 980. Obviously the higher the model number, the pricier it gets, but even the 860 has the brush-less rollers I mentioned above. If you would like to read a detailed review, I wrote a pretty in depth guide here: Best Roomba Models - Comparison Chart 2016

Not sure if this was helpful but I didn't want you to miss finding out this wonderful feature of the Roomba.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
I've had a Dyson for the past 4 years or so, and it works great at removing pet hair. All previous vacuums I had not only sucked (pardon the pun) at picking up hair from carpet, but they also would break down within a year of use - every one of them. Given that over the years I've often had a multi-pet home, I was desperate to find something that would withstand all...of...the...hair.

The Dyson, however, does stand up to the task and I've never had it malfunction, break down, or otherwise cause me grief. The one I have isn't the 'pet' model, it's a DC29 multi-floor. Yes, I do have some complaints about this model: the multi-floor function isn't as great as one is led to believe...carpets, great, hardwood, doesn't quite get all of the dirt for some reason; and the hose on the vac is just way too short, making it difficult when vacuuming over a piece of furniture, and most of all, it's quite costly. However, it has never lost suction and works as well as the day I bought it (knock wood) so if it continues to work well for the next few years, then I'll recant my "quite costly" complaint.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:46 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
We've got a Dyson and it does a very good job. We have three cats and a dog (Yellow Lab) so there's plenty of hair.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,879 times
Default Best Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I feel like I go through vacuums once every year. With three dogs a six cats it's impossible to keep up with the hair, although I try my best. I have area rugs over hard woods in all the rooms. I clean the floors everyday and the vacuums go through more wear and tear.

So off to buy another new one and wanted to get some recommendations. To those with multi-pets, what vacuum brand/type are you happy with? I hear good things about the Shark...

Thx

I vote for Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs