Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 PM

325 posts, read 229,260 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to comment about my pup and me. I really DID NOT know what I was getting myself into with this breed. I wasn't informed or knowledgeable about the rottweiler breed prior to getting my pup. But now that I have gotten him that's all I do is research the breed and training that specific breed online and books, I want to know all I can now. He was born dec 3,16 and we got him on feb. 20,16 and I can't even believe how big he has already gotten. I didn't know or think he would grow so rapidly I just thought you know like all pups grow into adults but I thought I would have him for a while before he was full grown or w/e. Now that I have been watching all these videos on rotts I realize that even though we are doing good with the training an the excersise that I probably need to advance quicker than I am with teaching him things. I know they are incredibly smart an that they're happiest when given a job so I think I'm going to step it up with the training an introduce more cues an things but also I think I am going to build him or buy him like a little running area with the tunnels an the seesaw platform thing an maybe try hiding a treat or w/e somewhere within his little play area an try to teach him how to find it plus I seen a video with a rott pulling a little red wagon with things in it so the owner could garden an I like the idea of him pulling the wagon or something. If anyone has any ideas or opinions please comment. I know we are still in obedience training phase but this stuff seems fun to do with him as well as keeping on with obedience training. I did find a trainer near me finally an her site says she does puppy classes an obedience training an that they even do small shows at our local mall so I am going there with max to check it out an observe and if we like it to join. I am super excited, and just having so much fun with my pup. He learns so quick I can't even believe it. I'm like a proud mama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,684,887 times
Hopefully it will be with you for many years.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,991,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Now that I have been watching all these videos on rotts I realize that even though we are doing good with the training an the excersise that I probably need to advance quicker than I am with teaching him things.

If anyone has any ideas or opinions please comment.
Careful, don't go too fast with your training. What you can do to up your training is once he understands a behavior in one environment, e.g. "sit" in the living room, then take the show on the road and then add in distractions: you want to add in the 3 D's of distance, duration, distraction slowly and one at a time so that for instance, he can hold a sit and focus on you in your yard while your kids are running around like lunatics, in a busy parking lot (safely of course!), in a retail store that allows dogs like Home Depot, and on a busy neighborhood street with a dog barking at him from across the street.

What I would (in addition to continuing to work on his basic obedience) is to add in 101 Things to do with a Box exercise which will stimulate his thought processes and be huge fun for him.

101 Things to Do with a Box | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSsBd2FxZYo

Old 03-25-2016, 11:19 PM

i sent u a dirsct message. I love this excercise we are def. going to try it. I just ordered stuff in mail so i have couple big boxes. I love fun stuff like this to do with him

Old 03-26-2016, 12:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,609,840 times
You are doing very well with the puppy!

By the way, what is the puppy's name? Can you post a picture of him?

It's a great idea to give him a (hopefully fenced) play area, or improve what he already has. Do you have access to a dog park or dog-friendly area where the puppy can safely run around off-leash either now or in the future? He will definitely need regular off-leash activity, more as he grows, as well as leashed walks.

I'm reminding you (mentioned it in another post) to keep Puppy's training sessions short and fun, until he's a little older.

Giving Puppy chores to do is a great idea. Careful about having him pull a red wagon, though; it will probably be great; but check with the vet if he is old enough so that the weight of the red wagon and whatever is in it will not stress his growing bones. (I don't know much about the protocols of weight pulling in dogs)

A mini-Agility course could be great fun for Puppy. He shouldn't be encouraged to do much jumping at this age, though. If he jumps on his own, it's hard to stop, but don't add additional jumping activity to his daily playing/activity routines; not until he is older.

It's also very important to get Puppy out of the house and socialize him to different people and places. Twelvepaws mentioned practicing obedience with Puppy at Home Depot and on busy streets - very good idea.

One very desirable training goal that you should already be working on, if you haven't already - teaching Puppy not to jump up on people to greet them (or for any reason). It's certainly cute when a friendly puppy jumps up on your knees, but soon, your pup will be quite large and it won't be so cute anymore, especially if he happily jumps on a child (yours or another person's child). And people fear Rottweilers; they might freak out more if your pup, at seven or eight months, attempts even a modified jump, then if a fat friendly Labrador or a smaller dog jumps on/at their knees.

Good luck with the obedience class and trainer. Keep us posted!

Old 03-26-2016, 01:09 AM

his name is max I put pics in my album I can't figure out how to upload a pic on a thread

Old 03-26-2016, 02:40 AM

How big is he now? Have you weighed him recently?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM

he was weighed beg of mar an was 31lbs he goes back on the 30th so i will let you know but i'm pretty sure he is at least 35-40lbs. now

Old 03-26-2016, 07:55 PM

The bigger breeds grow so fast! I haven't had a big dog in a long time; but I remember my Lab puppy many, many years ago.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:58 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,468,041 times
This breed is a great responsibility. It's your job to train, play with him and provide appropriate leadership. Rotties are a working breed and need a job to do, otherwise they can get destructive. They need mental stimulation as well (games of tracking, finding hidden treasures, agility or obedience. Disciline is a must for such powerful breed. Many people think of a dog as just another appliance, or a passive creature. Such approach can lead to unwanted results with a Rottie.
Work with your dog trainer towards long term goals.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs