Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,255 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So my husband and I adopted a rescue dog 2 weeks ago. We lost our dog of 11 years last month and really missed having a dog around. So we wanted to adopt a rescue. The rules were we had 1 week to "see if its a good fit".. well like a fool I ignored obvious signs it wasn't a good fit because I just wanted it to work so badly. If you decide within 7 days its not a good fit then you can return the dog and get your money back.

Well its been 12 days and I have realized not only is she just a little too wild but I also seem to be allergic to her. My eyes and sinus are taking a beating. I went to the Dr and he said it is possible to be affected by some dogs but not others. The first week I assumed it was seasonal allergies but every time I try to get close to her I can't stop sneezing and medicine isn't helping too much. Not only that I'm just not willing to be on allergy meds for the next 10 years. I have sent an email to the rescue but have not heard back and I'm just so afraid of being judged. I feel awful guilty but I can't be the first one this happened to? We don't care about getting the fee back but I can't stay in our home with her there. I'm considering going to my mothers until we can figure when we can return her.

Am I an awful person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
No you are not an awful person. One thing to check on... did the dog come to you smelling of shampoo or cologne? If so, give the dog a bath (ask hubby to do it) and see if that helps. If not, then you need to return the dog. No sense in taking meds for the next 10 years - that's not a healthy thing to do if you can avoid it.

I had to return a rescue dog recently because it came to me with medical issues that I had not signed up for. It was a wound that was not healing and eventually the poor dog needed surgery which he got after I returned him to the rescue organization. That was after I spent $700 at my vet for visits, lab work, specialty antibiotics and medicated shampoo.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
No, not an awful person but I can tell you that it is very hard to bring in a new dog after having lost a senior dog. We did that and Duchess had been the perfect dog getting more perfect over her 13.5 years. A new dog is just It takes a good 30 days for a dog to start to settle down and longer if they have had more than one previous owner, I think.

We are at the height of seasonal allergies in our part of the country now. Is it possible that the allergies may be seasonal?

We adopted the last two times from city animal shelters. We actually signed paperwork that said if we didn't want the dog that we had to return it to the shelter. It's been 11 years on one and 4 years on the other so looks like we are keeping them.

One thing I read about getting a new dog was to make sure that you really wanted a dog and weren't just missing the dog that you had lost. You can never "replace" a dog.

Maybe take some extra time and volunteer to get some dog time while you slowly look at what will work.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I can't imagine any ethical rescue would not take the dog back if it's not working out. Call them, send them emails and show up at their door if need be.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,255 times
Well they came to pick her up a little while ago. We are both pretty sad. We got attached to her and seeing her go felt heartbreaking. She's great with other dogs, kids, and potty trained, crate trained - it's definitely a loss. But I have to be able to breath in my home. One of the girls that works for the rescue came to pick her up. She was very nice and understanding. Of course my head is telling me she must hate me.

I was trying to think of other reasons other then my allergy that she wasn't a good fit - and the only thing I could come up with was how super active she is and how much attention she needs. I guess after having a senior dog - I had forgotten what it was like to have a 3 year old pup. I think maybe I did rush into getting another dog after losing ours. I just hate this guilt!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
You did nothing wrong- what you did was best for you & the dog. It just wasn't a good fit and sometimes it isn't. Don't beat yourself up.

When you look for your next dog, try to consider the pace and activity level of the old dog who passed on. If you were content and used to that activity, then may be get an older, very quiet, laid back pooch or a younger dog who is a couch potato.

Also when you bring new dog home, give her or him a thorough bath. Use blue Dawn. Dogs in shelters are frequently lying in cages or pens that have been hosed or scrubbed down with with some nasty stuff. It gets into their costs.

The shelter may have put some flea drops on the dog. However that does not mean that flea eggs, or flea dirt is not in the coat. I am horrifically allergic to fleas. Doesn't have to be an actual flea biting me, but if a dog or cat has anything resembling a part of the flea life stages on it I will itch like crazy. A good bath takes care of all the various types of junk that can be in the dog's coat.

Wash, rinse, wash, rinse again, then a nice oatmeal conditioner. Dog and your skin will both thank you.
Good luck- there is a dog out there waiting for you.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Its not uncommon to rush out and try and replace a dog we have just lost (my condolences for your loss). Our minds tell us we can get through the loss faster if we get an immediate replacement. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The right dog is out there for you. Don't rush it. Maybe consider becoming a foster for a local rescue or shelter. There are also many many "older" (more than 5 years old) dogs that want desperately to find a home. They are usually calmer, easier to train and take less time to adjust. Anyway you go, you shouldn't feel guilty. The rescue will find that girl her perfect forever home. When you are ready you'll find the right dog for you

Old 04-09-2016, 06:23 PM

32,645 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You must be prepared when you take in a rescue, to work through a lot of baggage and behavior issues. Dogs don't end up on rescue by being perfectly behaved. They are most likely dumped for annoying behaviors that the previous owner couldn't be bothered to deal with.

Occasionally, you will be lucky and adopt a perfectly behaved dog from rescue, but that is the exception. If you get a dog like that, consider yourself to be very lucky, and if you get a dog that needs training, you won't be disappointed because you were expecting it.

Most issues are easy to work through. No one has ever explained to the dog what behavior is preferred. Teach the dog what you want and the dog will try to do it.

I am not allergic to my dogs, but a couple of times a year, I get tear gassed into an asthma attack because the beloved pooch carries in grass pollen on her coat and then snuggles up around my neck.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyLady22 View Post
Well they came to pick her up a little while ago. We are both pretty sad. We got attached to her and seeing her go felt heartbreaking. She's great with other dogs, kids, and potty trained, crate trained - it's definitely a loss. But I have to be able to breath in my home. One of the girls that works for the rescue came to pick her up. She was very nice and understanding. Of course my head is telling me she must hate me.

I was trying to think of other reasons other then my allergy that she wasn't a good fit - and the only thing I could come up with was how super active she is and how much attention she needs. I guess after having a senior dog - I had forgotten what it was like to have a 3 year old pup. I think maybe I did rush into getting another dog after losing ours. I just hate this guilt!
You should not be feeling guilty for having an allergy to this particular dog. If it weren't for the allergy problem, you probably would have gotten online to learn about training an active, younger dog.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Peeves me when Rescues say a Week. They should be saying a Month! Takes time for an animal to feel hes at Home & to figure out if they going to fit into a household.

As others have said give him a bath. See if that's what your allergic to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs