Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Well, I stumbled across this question by deegers - and I patiently waited a whole 48 hours for the answer

Can someone give me the heads up on the lettering system used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
I have never heard of this before and was waiting also,even researched never seen it. I just buy kennel tags which means can have 12 dogs on primises at once and then if have more must talk to town.Only way get that high is when do alot of fostering or have pups my house not that big.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Sorry, I haven't been on lately. I have heard of CLass C breeders which I believe are teh puppy mills and backyard breeders, but I wanted to check and make sure. That's where I've been told before in other discussions. No one else has heard taht before?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 PM

No and did alot of research before getting my dogs and even researched the classes of breeders you are talking about. That is great thing about going to breeders house/kennel facility see how they do it. I know see ad's in paper where they breed like 7 different breed's those I would be real leary of. I know few puppy mills been busted in Wisconsin and were the Amish doing it. I do not even crate train which some may dislike but to each his own and I do not like caging my animals up in small areas they get first floor of house deck and kennel run which has doggie door in and out.Being I do bloodhounds though socialization is a very big part of their SAR training so started from day 1 helps.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
I was the one who mentioned the classes. We got our dog from PA and at the time that states classifications were (just a few for example) K1=cummulative of 50 dogs or less per year, K2=*** total of 51-100 dogs per year, B1=Capacity to accommodate 1-10 dogs at any time, B2=Capacity to accommodate 11-25 dogs at any time. Other states might be different.

I don't know that any one classification indicated a superior breeder. They could be allowed to keep up to only 50 dogs, but treat those dogs like garbage. Meanwhile, somebody who is licensed to keep more (which might indicate a puppy mill) may treat all of their dogs like royalty.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 AM

Could not imagine having 50 dogs even if had a kennel facility.Could you imagine the management on breeding, vaccinations, wormings and all.I want to build a boarding kennel/no kill shelter in future if get out in country and still would not go that large as would have to hire people just to give all these animals the attention needed daily.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM

216 posts, read 682,219 times
There are basically two types of breeders...responsible hobby breeders and for-profit breeders, which include puppy mills and back yard breeders. The first place to find a breeder is through the local chapter of your breed club. They will refer you to a responsible breeder. Good breeders DO something with their dogs...confirmation or perfromance.....obedience, agility, etc. They only breed titled dogs. They do all of the appropriate genetic health screenings for that particular breed...OFA, BAER, CERF, etc. Understand that being "vet checked" is not the same as having the sire and damn screened for genetic health problems. For profit breeders don't bother screening for things like hip dysplasia, they will just insist that they have "never had a problem" with their dogs.

Good breeders breed only to improve the breed...there is little real money in what they do. They don't breed constantly, and usually don't have multiple litters for sale. They don't breed more than one or two breeds of dog. They are members of the breed club, and sign a breeders code of ethics. They screen and interview propective puppy buyers...they do not sell puppies over the internet to anyone with a credit card. All litters are planned, and they usually have a waiting list. They do not try to "sell" their dogs to you, and will be very honest about the challenges their breed may present to an onwer. They will often choose the puppy for you, carefully matching the pups personality to your family after several months of careful observation and temperament testing. They will never sell a puppy before 8 weeks of age, some even wait until 10 weeks.

You will be asked to sign a contract...the good breeder will agree in the contract to take the dog back at any time over the dogs life if you cannot keep him, for any reason. No responsible breeder EVER wants to find out that one of their puppies ended up in a shleter. The responsible dog breeder will want to remain in contact with you, and is a resource for you when you have questions or problems. They welcome your questions on training, or behavior issues, and are there to support you over the lifetime of the dog.

You may have to wait and be patient to get a puppy from a good breeder. Considering that this animal will become a part of your family for 10-15 years, it is well worth the extra effort. Instant gratification of getting a puppy from a bad breeder won't make up for the thousands of dollars in vet bills if the dog ends up with serious health issues; or the pain of having to get rid of a dog with genetic temperament problems which could make it dangerous to keep as a pet.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Endless mountain Labadores has an excellent websight.
Endless Mountain Labradors
This sight addresses why its important to choose the right right breeder.
The breed you choose isn't always what you get. What I mean by this is that backyard breeders don't take the time or effort to do good research on the dogs they breed. Both have akc papers blah blah blah. AKC does not police breeder quality. They simply issue papers to dogs who have pure breed or recognized breed parents..
If you want exactly the dog breed you chose start with good breeders ...

Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Got to watch the people that breed for show compared to us that breed for what dogs intended use is also. So many show people go for looks and not dogs original intentions that like bloodhounds and bird dogs lose the nose. So not matter how many CH in line if bred out qualities you wanted for that dog. Look at breeder for intended use of this animal. I breed SAR bloodhounds,I do not show,even though my female was bred for show and had judge tell me to as a CH on hands,but I am not in it to show or make mega bucks as my dogs have these titles. I breed for the nose and for what the bloodhound was intended for. I have nothing against show dogs as long as they are also bred for intended use,herding,tracking,hunting and such. I would rather have one of my unshown dogs go out and find some lost child and save them from a night in woods than see them pranced around a show ring. A dog does this it is better than any TITLES or any dollar amount can put on a dog as in my eyes a lost child found safely is priceless.
So ask what the breeder breed's these dogs for if it is show,intended use or just a pet. I know some do dual purpose show/work.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM

216 posts, read 682,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Got to watch the people that breed for show compared to us that breed for what dogs intended use is also. So many show people go for looks and not dogs original intentions that like bloodhounds and bird dogs lose the nose. So not matter how many CH in line if bred out qualities you wanted for that dog. Look at breeder for intended use of this animal. I breed SAR bloodhounds,I do not show,even though my female was bred for show and had judge tell me to as a CH on hands,but I am not in it to show or make mega bucks as my dogs have these titles. I breed for the nose and for what the bloodhound was intended for. I have nothing against show dogs as long as they are also bred for intended use,herding,tracking,hunting and such. I would rather have one of my unshown dogs go out and find some lost child and save them from a night in woods than see them pranced around a show ring. A dog does this it is better than any TITLES or any dollar amount can put on a dog as in my eyes a lost child found safely is priceless.
So ask what the breeder breed's these dogs for if it is show,intended use or just a pet. I know some do dual purpose show/work.
I do agree with dreamhunter....with regard to titled dogs, reputable breeders of working dogs don't neccesarily show, although I do know a breeder of field labs who hunts and particpates in field trials. My only concern is that people looking for a family "pet" often underestimate the amount of energy a real working dog has...field setters, labs, border collies from working lines, etc. These dogs need more excercise and stimulation than many families are willing to provide. I would assume that if you were looking for a working dog to hunt with, herd with, etc., you would have a fairly good handle on what you need and where to go. My advice was geared more toward the person looking for a pet dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs