Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 PM

325 posts, read 228,914 times

Advertisements

This is what my new trainer wants us to bring/have to use for leash training next week:
have a pull and release metal choke chain about 2 inches bigger than the dog neck along with a 2 foot traffic lead. We will use meet such as turkey chicken or beef in a baggie in your pocket as a reward system for your dog😉

Also she says not to feed him past noon before training on monday. Training is at 7;45 pm that day. Just giving update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Also I wanted to ask about neutering. My pup is 4 months old and has started humping my leg all the time. I was trying to wait until he was a year old to neuter him. But I was told the longer I wait the more it costs. So I am unsure what to do.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
It's good you are doing training. Try to keep it fun and positive.

As far as the neutering goes, I haven't neutered my dog yet and he's a year and a half. All my other dogs were fixed around 6 months or so but the breeder suggested I wait until a year and a half or two if possible. One year at least. I did a lot of research online and there was even a post in here about it and it seems to be beneficial to wait until they have fully matured. Incidents of hip dysplasia, cancers and other illnesses are possibly reduced if you wait. Even the oncologist at the university of Wisconsin that I took my previous dog to said that the jury is still out but she would wait too.

Plus, the dog park I take my dog to has plenty of "humping dogs" that are neutered. So, that will not necessarily stop that behavior. Regardless, it also depends on your situation. But 4 months is definetly too young. That's like neutering a 4 year old kid. Obviously that can't be good.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Also I wanted to ask about neutering. My pup is 4 months old and has started humping my leg all the time. I was trying to wait until he was a year old to neuter him. But I was told the longer I wait the more it costs. So I am unsure what to do.
have a vet and go with what they advise I had girls and they said b4 age 6 months. often a breeder will say one year. most trainers want dog dry stuff and have done away with a choke for a puppy.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:52 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
I don't think that neutering your pup at 4 months is a good idea. If you can possibly hold off until he is a year, that would be better for him. Definitely don't have it done before the pup is 6 months.

Yes, young intact (not neutered) male pups start trying to mount your leg. Just say No. Keep saying No. Move him off gently but firmly if he refuses to move; or just command him to Sit. If he obeys you and does a Sit (you can follow it with a Down), praise him and give him a treat.

The two intact male dogs I've had in the past 25 years both went through a phase, around the age of six months, of trying to mount my leg. I kept saying No. It took a few weeks, but they each stopped the behavior.

Yes, it will probably cost more to neuter the puppy at a year than at 4 or 6 months. There is a chance that early neutering will increase the likelihood of orthopedic problems when the pup is several years older. You will have to weigh the pro's and cons and make the decision that is best for both the puppy and yourself.

Training with a choke chain is a bit outdated; but if the trainer limits the pulling with the choke chain, and just has you use it to guide the puppy, it might work as a training method. If you can, when you continue the puppy's training, use a buckle or quick release snap collar.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:22 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
At 4 months a dog hasn't developed yet. Its a puppy. People have different opinions, but I personally wouldn't neuter before the dog is fully mature.
As for choke chains, I would recommend a different trainer with a different approach. Again, its only a puppy that should be taught using positive methods.
Turkey and other treats are good for training, but the key is finding what motivated this dog: is it food or toys?
Good Luck!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 AM

What do you think s best dog food for rott pups? I have been using royal canin and I don't think he likes it much anymore

Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Humping is Not Sexual its Dominant Behavior in Dogs - Correcting the Problem
& so begins the Teen problems ugh Get him Fix when this class ends he be about 6 months. Give him a couple weeks before you start the next class to recover.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,826 times
OP, you should find another trainer. Using a choke chain on a 4 month old puppy is a terrible idea. It is not necessary and you can do permanent damage with even moderate corrections on a young dog. Also, for a rottie pup I would wait until close to 1 year old to neuter, 4 months is way too young IMO.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
What do you think s best dog food for rott pups? I have been using royal canin and I don't think he likes it much anymore
Best 5-Star Dry Puppy Foods

Whole Dog Journal's Approved Dry Dog Food List 2015 - Page 1

http://cdn.whole-dog-journal.com/med...ryDogFoods.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs