Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dogs and cats dumped in this area don't live more than 48 hours. Either they are hit by cars or the coyotes eat them, If they are enterprising and take to hunting immediately, one of the local farmers shoots them.

Average of 3 a week all year long. 150 or so pets who die an unpleasant death, just in my neighborhood. It can't be fun to be eaten by coyotes. OP adopted one and that is one out of thousands, perhaps one out of hundreds of thousands

If you dump your dog or cat in the country, he doesn't get to go and live on a farm. 99% of the time, he dies a horrible death on top of the fear and pain of being abandoned.
I tried to rep this post, but the system wouldn't let me.

I think what you've said hits the nail on the head, so to speak. Most dumped pets won't survive very long, and the dog or cat who does wind up being found and are taken in are, for the most part, the rare exception. (One animal species that is also commonly dumped are rabbits...some people actually believe that this species will learn to adapt and survive, yet the probability for a domestic rabbit to survive in such situations, being a prey animal, is 0%....even a 24-hr survival rate is very slim.)

Unfortunately, those who are willing to drive out to the country, place a pet in a field or forest, and then drive off, are ultimately those who don't care about the animal's life in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 372 times
This post is heartbreaking to me because I just had to take a very friendly, brown Male pitbull mix to the dog warden. I live on a very busy main road. He was obviously dumped by his previous owners. He had no license or collar and was very lost on where he was. I would have kept him if I had the space. He will find a loving home that cares. He's super loving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs