Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 09:28 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times

Advertisements

Our dog developed a large sarcoma on her rear leg (knee) which has recently ruptured. Needless to say it was alarming . Two vets recommended no surgery and believe it has metastasis by now. We agree that the outcome is bleak and at 8 years may have to be put down. Today she played in the yard with our puppy, ate a full bowl of food. shows zero signs of lethargy or pain, and this is what we are doing as more of an experiment

Doxycycline

Prednisone

Gabapentin

The tumor on the knee originally gushed with blood ( often a fatal blow for a dog) ,but then it suddenly stopped and now the tumor is receding oddly as if its digesting itself?? Not sure if this is the panecea we are praying for ,but hey she is tolerating it well!!! Any advice would be extremely welcomed! Naturally we are in a semi denial state mentally ,but if she gets an infection , bleeds or is in pain we
will put her down without hesitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:13 PM

38 posts, read 63,158 times
My Boy Alex a Siberian Husky was diagnosed with osteosarcoma a year ago last November. It was in his front paw. He would never have survived an amputation so we opted for keeping him comfortable. I did some research and came up with a course of treatment which I will share with you. Please keep in my mind the weight of the baby. Mine was 120 pounds and he was a little more than 10 years and that is a guess as he was a rescue but we think it was pretty close.
Fish oil, Vitamin D3, Glucosomine, Magnesium, Serra peptase (which is an enzyme) CoQ10. Along with the normal meds Rymadal and Tramadol when needed. To the amazement of all the vets he lived a good life after the diagnosis. He was not jumping rope but he was enjoying himself. bone cancer is a very fast growing cancer and it was amazing he managed to live as long as he did after the diagnosis. Sadly, last week My boy went down hill rather quickly in a matter of days his vet believed the cancer exploded in his body and I was forced to do the unthinkable out of love for him I knew he did not deserve to be in pain. Not sure if my routine will work for you, however there is nothing to lose by trying. All his Dr.s said it was definitely out of the norm but are convinced it bought him another year of happiness. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Is the sarcoma a soft tissue sarcoma or bone?

By the drugs you are giving I would guess it is an anti-angiogenesis protocol like the Navy protocol. That means it is trying to cut the blood supply off to the tumor. I know some people have had good luck with such protocols so while I would not do chemo I have used a similar protocol on Dash when he had nasal cancer.

I tried several things the biggest being palliative radiation which was done via IMRT so did not have all the side effects that standard radiation does.We also did an anti-angiogenesis therapy with inexpensive drugs. and several holistic things too. Dash survived a lot longer then my vet expected him too and had a good quality of life until near end.At the end his face swelled up and he was ready to leave.

My other dog at the time had a nerve sheath sarcoma on the front of her chest. I had it removed but no other treatment. She lived another 2.5 yrs and died at 14.5 when she developed a salivary gland tumor that caused her eye to swell then rupture and I felt asking a dog her age to go through a huge surgery was too much so put her down.

All that said a coworker has a dog with a soft tissue sarcoma that he has had for 2 +yrs and she has done nothing deciding being an older dog she would let nature takes its course and it has been over 2 yrs since she discovered it and he is still fine.

Like everything cancer effects different individuals in different ways as does any treatment. Best of luck to you and your dog.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:40 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
My Boston Terrier had a soft tissue sarcoma on her side/hip area and had two surgeries to remove it. First didn't have clean margins. We opted for no further treatment but keep a close eye for other lumps/bumps. We also have an xray twice a year to look for other suspicious areas internally on her organs. So far, two years out, we're good.

I don't have any advice for you but your choice of meds looks pretty good...an antibiotic to fight infection, Prednisone to reduce inflammation and Gabapentin for pain...if this isn't working well enough, Tramadol would be my next choice. It doesn't interfere with other meds your dog is on...it's strictly for pain.

I wish you more good times with your pup. It's hard facing things like this and I commend you for trying to keep her comfortable.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:19 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
Great advice posters . Her sarcoma is a huge (softball) open end (1-1/2 inch ) mass of varying soft hard to describe mix of matter which although has not bled ( a common catastrophic sequence) has suddenly formed a deep center depression? We change the dressing daily using a large glob of triple ointment after bathing it in hydrogen peroxide. Unfortunately my daughter had a a bot of metro- nidazole 500 mg NOT the desired Doxycycline , but it is a broad spectrum antibiotic , antiprotazola so I gave it to her. The Dox has been linked to anti cancer only in dogs ( not cats or humans) as it blocks a cancer spreading protein not found in other meds. She has developed a beautiful full coat, eats eats treatss with the 5 mo old puppy. Ali is 100 lbs and the pup now 40 and growing ( malamute mix). I just refuse to put her down unless she shows signs of failing, pain or inability to walk at a normal gate. Yes many of the supplements including fish oil ( Omega are major for immune). mag. COQ10!! My heart goes out to anyone who loses their best friend and excuse me if I'm too focused on my girl.

Last edited by openmike; 07-17-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs