Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 869 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have a 10 month old Morkie. He is making progress on accidents. However, he still seldom asks to go outside--we take him out regularly. We have the bells on the door and use them when we take him out but he only SOMETIMES will ask. He also will not stay or go out alone. Winter is months away and I DO NOT want to create a monster where I have to get geared up every time he has to go or I think he might have to go. I have been sometimes feeding him outside, giving him treats outside, etc. and he is fine then. So, I guess that is progress ??? Opinions, advise???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 08:17 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
I've found that most dogs do not enjoy being sent outdoors to be on their own, at least for more than a few minutes. They are social animals, and love to experience the great outdoors with their owners. Most dogs too, love to explore, and not continually be in the same place (backyard).

When I got my dog he was 9 weeks old, and my routine was to always go outside with him when he needed to go to the bathroom. I took him outside at designated times (upon waking, after a meal, after playtime, in the evening)...we went both in the yard as well as on long walks so he could check out the sights/sounds/smells that stimulate a dog into having an interest in his surroundings. He's now 5 years old, and he will go in the yard on his own, but I don't send him out there to go to the bathroom. My routine is to get up and go out for a walk and ball-playing session away from the house (as well as bathroom breaks), walk home, then breakfast. He usually gets to go out at lunchtime as well, or for short romps on his own in the yard - until he woofs to come in - then another walk/ball/run session in the late afternoon, dinner, and a walk in the evening.

A dog who is simply let in and out of the house on his own to go in the yard to pee/poop is (imo) a dog who will get bored, and who won't learn to enjoy going outside because there simply isn't enough fun/stimulation for him. If there is no interest, then he's not going to ask to go out. It sounds like you need to become much more involved in your dog's outdoor life; take him for walks, show him things, interact with him outside. Praise him highly when he does go to the bathroom. Make sure he gets to go to as many places as possible, every day. Make it fun for him to be out there, but don't expect him to want to go out and stay outside on his own. And unfortunately, wintertime does not excuse us from having to do this with our dogs. I live in an area where the temps can drop to -40 below, and even though I abhor cold weather, I still have to take my dog outside for his exercise, bathroom breaks, etc., no matter what. Even if I'm sick with the flu, it still has to be done. It's just one of the perks of having a dog in my life.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
A Morkie is a toy breed. Toy breeds in my opinion should never be let out alone. Even with a fenced in yard there are birds of prey that can pick a small dog up in a second and be gone in a flash. Even a nasty cat can climb a fence and tangle with your dog.

Put on your shoes/boots and a jacket and take him outside, even when it's cold. His safety is worth the hassle, plus you will be there to praise him when he does his "business'.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 PM

965 posts, read 939,222 times
I have seen/ heard this question numerous times, and have to say especially with young toy breeds they should always be accompanied by their human.

It just doesn't make sense to me to leave a tiny puppy out, and think it is too cold for us to go out with them, right? Maltese and Yorkies are not built yo be big snow loving dogs.

The toy breeds I know that are not 100% housebroken are those who had owners who would not go out with them every time in puppyhood. They would watch them (from inside) while the pup would just sit at the door, and they would be so frustrated.

If you do it correctly now, while you have a puppy, you may be able to avoid going outside with the dog when he is older. Though birds of prey are a real issue in some places.

You may consider training too a wee wee pad. They're is much controvercy over them, but if it is too cold for you, I would think it would be too cold for him. They do work well occasionally, though in your dogs case, it sounds like he doesn't have the idea 100%, so it might be more confusing.

I couldn't rep bassetluv and guiligann again, but I agree with what they said.

My 14 pound dog was blind from the age of 4, so I always had to take her out, and it can get down to -50 where I live (without windchill). I often had to go shovel 3 feet of snow to make a spot for her, and sometimes in a hurry

Sometimes I had to even put boots on her if she was desperate to go out first thing, though usually she would wait. I would scoop her up as soon as she peed so her feet wouldn't freeze, and then I would ask her to wait until later to poo. which usually worked when it was that cold!

Still.... she always went out, never a mistake, and she was half chihuahua.

Potty training is BIG, so do everything you can while your dog is young, and you'll be so much happier later. It isn't long in the scheme of things.
Oh and btw, do not bring the dog in the minute he goes potty (unless he wants to) or he could learn to hang out as long as possible, if he thinks it is more fun outside

Old 08-08-2016, 09:40 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A Morkie is a toy breed. Toy breeds in my opinion should never be let out alone. Even with a fenced in yard there are birds of prey that can pick a small dog up in a second and be gone in a flash. Even a nasty cat can climb a fence and tangle with your dog.

Put on your shoes/boots and a jacket and take him outside, even when it's cold. His safety is worth the hassle, plus you will be there to praise him when he does his "business'.
^^ This. There are times when owning a dog is not easy or convenient but as a responsible owner you need to do what is best for the dog.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:05 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I have seen/ heard this question numerous times, and have to say especially with young toy breeds they should always be accompanied by their human.

It just doesn't make sense to me to leave a tiny puppy out, and think it is too cold for us to go out with them, right? Maltese and Yorkies are not built yo be big snow loving dogs.

The toy breeds I know that are not 100% housebroken are those who had owners who would not go out with them every time in puppyhood. They would watch them (from inside) while the pup would just sit at the door, and they would be so frustrated.

If you do it correctly now, while you have a puppy, you may be able to avoid going outside with the dog when he is older. Though birds of prey are a real issue in some places.

You may consider training too a wee wee pad. They're is much controvercy over them, but if it is too cold for you, I would think it would be too cold for him. They do work well occasionally, though in your dogs case, it sounds like he doesn't have the idea 100%, so it might be more confusing.

I couldn't rep bassetluv and guiligann again, but I agree with what they said.

My 14 pound dog was blind from the age of 4, so I always had to take her out, and it can get down to -50 where I live (without windchill). I often had to go shovel 3 feet of snow to make a spot for her, and sometimes in a hurry

Sometimes I had to even put boots on her if she was desperate to go out first thing, though usually she would wait. I would scoop her up as soon as she peed so her feet wouldn't freeze, and then I would ask her to wait until later to poo. which usually worked when it was that cold!

Still.... she always went out, never a mistake, and she was half chihuahua.

Potty training is BIG, so do everything you can while your dog is young, and you'll be so much happier later. It isn't long in the scheme of things.
Oh and btw, do not bring the dog in the minute he goes potty (unless he wants to) or he could learn to hang out as long as possible, if he thinks it is more fun outside
I love your last two paragraphs! So true! Potty training done properly for the first few months will make life easier for you for their entire life. (Unlike pooping behind the couch on the sly, and peeing on that favorite little spot on the living room carpet LOL) Rep!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
Teach him to talk.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
My dogs aren't toy breeds. I have two Boston Terriers ages 11 and 12...a French Bulldog who's 8 and a Labx who's 14. I go out with them everytime. I have a secure fenced yard but frankly, they don't like going out unaccompanied and that's ok with me.

It's another place for us to interact besides the indoors...much like going on a walk or when I take one dog with me to the bank or car dealership.

I work in rescue and several years ago placed a young (1 yr) Boston with who I thought would be a wonderful adopter/forever home but she returned him after just one month. She said he would not use the bathroom outside but instead would sit at the door wanting back inside. She watched him thru the blinds. I told her she needed to go out with him to she could encourage him and lavish praise after he did his business. But that didn't fit into her schedule. All her previous dogs had been happy to go out alone.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Take it from one who knows. Toys or other breeds do much better when their human gears up and takes them outside multiple times per day. And ... your belly fat will (not) thank you for it!

Ever since my fur boy died I've been packing it on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs