Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times

Advertisements

Hitting a dog potentially makes them handshy, so it's stupid and counterproductive. Even if one has no problem with physically punishing a dog, hitting the dog is obviously not the way to go.

If you want to risk making a dog that nips when you reach toward it, or you want a dog that sneakily pees in corners rather than alerting you, this is an awesome plan. If not, use your human brain to think of something more sensible.

The whole "meh, I don't hit the dog that hard" thing doesn't really fly for me, anyway. If hitting the dog is getting results, by definition you must have hit the dog hard enough for it to be aversive (unpleasant or painful).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times
I don't understand crates and don't like them. To me they are just cages/jails, and caging any creature is horrible. Training takes time and patience but, I believe, is a much better way. As for a spanking, I would rather clap my hands and loudly say NO!! That has always worked with our doggie. YMMV.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Hitting a dog potentially makes them handshy, so it's stupid and counterproductive. Even if one has no problem with physically punishing a dog, hitting the dog is obviously not the way to go.

If you want to risk making a dog that nips when you reach toward it, or you want a dog that sneakily pees in corners rather than alerting you, this is an awesome plan. If not, use your human brain to think of something more sensible.

The whole "meh, I don't hit the dog that hard" thing doesn't really fly for me, anyway. If hitting the dog is getting results, by definition you must have hit the dog hard enough for it to be aversive (unpleasant or painful).
If you observe dogs within a pack the alpha dog will growl and snap at an offending subordinate. Mother dogs will snap at their offending pups. Its what they do. There is a difference in a smack and hitting/abusing an animal. Correction most often only takes one or two times and should be immediate (5 second rule) and IMO should be reserved for the very worst of offenses. Usually voice and body language are enough to stop unwanted behavior.

This is not only true in dogs but other animals too. I have found the same punishment/correction working with horses, have seen it with pigs too. And you dont have to hit the animal hard. Its more of the action than pain. I have used a small crop or switch with my horse or a hollow plastic toy ball bat, sometimes my hand. It dosent hurt them but gets their attention. This was for kicking and biting or teaching them to stay out of my space. Same with dogs. Its more of a reach out fast and smack then withdraw as another dog would do with its mouth.

I have never had a problem with hand shyness, nipping or peeing.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM

483 posts, read 418,163 times
Dunno about others..

But...
If I dun tolerate other family light spanking me, I do not think I will tolerate any human light spanking my son.

Correcting Roman my boy has always been easy and he gets it.. I will just give the cold shoulder and ignore him. I have never yelled at him nor show force in anyways..
Always his loving momma.

And bear in mind, he is my size.
I am 165lbs.

He is also of a well known stubborn breed that does not come when calls but he will come to me without a word or command. He is very smart. He is not confused by me being a bully, or dominant etc in anyways, but respected me as an equal partner hence teamwork of (reading my cues as I his; yes I do play bow and wag my butt like him etc). For a well known stubborn breed, he listens 100% when it matters... Eg. He came across a horse while out off leashing.. first experience with a horse "big threat". Instead of questioning the human leadership, or taking charge as a dominant independent stubborn kid.. he "looked at us" his humans for directions.
(His gaze says.. Think it's unwise to take on that monster sized beast so is it safe to not do anything???)

That is how smart my kid is.
(He is also well nourished with brain foods from puppy).
After a vocal of "stay", "wait" (he did flawlessly and got leash put on). He "followed" us away from the singular trail to a bigger one to let horse n rider pass. All not even with a bark or fuss.

Which after we go on our merry way.
We have horse encounter a few times hence and he did well always. Dogs that are misbehaved.. he just ignore and go on his way (not even looking at them).

We discourage his guard of us thus we are as equals.
And food (hunt wise) kept him juvenile.
We never want his guard because we want to protect him from lawsuits etc..

And he is a 165lb LGD great pyrenees who loves, loves loves all humans because his people are the best to him.
Like a child, he will learn from us.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:31 PM

483 posts, read 418,163 times
Roman is such a great kid, we can take him to restaurants, motels, vaca, travels with us and we have no problems with him.

In fact, one motel owner says he is better behaved than a lot of other dogs that he wants us to book with him again if we are back in town.

He looooves hoomans.
Attached Thumbnails
I spanked my dog this morning...-received_1142222675811952.jpeg  

Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and it worked. I feel bad though.
We are not yellers or spankers, with kids or animals, but today I got tired of "polite suggestions" for behavior not working.

Every morning when our dachshund, Freddie, thinks it is time to get up (6:30 or so) he starts going bat**** crazy. By this I mean he starts jumping on me in a crazy manner, and i tend to get scratched from his claws. Any other time of day or night, he is an angel, and has no behavior problems at all. Once I get out of bed, he becomes docile again.

So this morning I loudly scolded him and smacked his bottom, and he stopped the behavior instantly. I wonder if he will do it again tomorrow? If he does, I intend to do the same thing again until he stops doing it.

What do all you dog owners think this behavior is about? I am thinking that it is something that puppies do ...scrambling over the other puppies in the morning to get to their mom. Our dog is 3, and I am definitely "the mommy". He was a rescue, so not sure what his first years were like.
I think you're fine. You spoke dog language to him.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and it worked. I feel bad though.
We are not yellers or spankers, with kids or animals, but today I got tired of "polite suggestions" for behavior not working.

Every morning when our dachshund, Freddie, thinks it is time to get up (6:30 or so) he starts going bat**** crazy. By this I mean he starts jumping on me in a crazy manner, and i tend to get scratched from his claws. Any other time of day or night, he is an angel, and has no behavior problems at all. Once I get out of bed, he becomes docile again.

So this morning I loudly scolded him and smacked his bottom, and he stopped the behavior instantly. I wonder if he will do it again tomorrow? If he does, I intend to do the same thing again until he stops doing it.

What do all you dog owners think this behavior is about? I am thinking that it is something that puppies do ...scrambling over the other puppies in the morning to get to their mom. Our dog is 3, and I am definitely "the mommy". He was a rescue, so not sure what his first years were like.
Sounds like it's not all that inappropriate. In typical pack behavior mother would growl, bark and nip the nape of a younger or subordinate dog immediately. A little spank on the heiney and a firm 'NO!" seems to be pretty much aligned with that.

How Dogs Correct Each Other | CANIDAE®

Quote:
Dogs aren’t like humans. They don’t have lengthy talks after the fact. They simply correct the behavior the moment it happens so that the other dog knows what it did wrong. In fact, if the dog were corrected afterward, it would have no idea what it did wrong. Consider that in the dog world, there is only submission and obedience. This doesn’t mean dogs don’t have feelings, but if you were to eliminate one element from your world to think more like a dog, that element would be the question “why?” because dogs don’t have a way to ask it.

When it comes to specific correction methods, they can vary from a low, mild growl to a full alpha roll. The dominant dog will always maintain eye contact while correcting the submissive dog, while the submissive dog will lower his posture and stop doing whatever he was doing.

As pups, dogs are often taught by the mothers through the use of the skin on the back of their necks. The mother would nip the skin just enough so that the pup knew to stop what it was doing, but not hard enough to actually hurt. On the other end of the extreme spectrum is the alpha roll. This is generally limited to serious infractions, but the result is that the dominant dog puts the submissive dog on its side, with the belly exposed. Body checks and barks are also ways that dogs correct one another.

When you see one dog correct another, you might be tempted to feel bad for the submissive dog. You shouldn’t, because it’s unlikely that the submissive dog does feel bad. He or she is just reacting with appropriate body language to let the dominant dog know that the correction is understood and accepted…nothing more and nothing less.
I occasionally have to give my male GSP a little love tap on the heiney. I've also full belly rolled him ONCE to break him from mauling birds in the field. A very LOUD and commanding NO!! Roll him, LORD over him with a very angry face and tone and flat out scold him. Conversely when he retrieved the birds lightly it was all hugs and kisses and fourth of July fireworks. Worked like a charm.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I don't understand crates and don't like them. To me they are just cages/jails, and caging any creature is horrible. Training takes time and patience but, I believe, is a much better way. As for a spanking, I would rather clap my hands and loudly say NO!! That has always worked with our doggie. YMMV.
Crates have a purpose. They are not to be used to punish your dog for any reason. They are your dogs personal space, a safe and comfortable place for your dog to sleep, rest and be away from other dogs and people if he chooses. If a dog is correctly shown that a crate is a safe and good place to be, it can save you and the dog many problems later on.
For example, my dog just had surgery and should not be jumping up on the sofa or walking too much right now. The crate allows him to rest undisturbed by other dogs and keeps him in one spot where I can check on him to see how he's doing. That being said, he's in his crate for just periods of the day when I can't watch him. He's not crated so he can be punish and ignored. He was correctly crate trained when younger so he knows not to fear the crate and knows it's a good comfy place to be.
Unfortunately, many people like yourself don't realize that crates have a good purpose. Sadly some people use crates for punishment which you should never do.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:28 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,282,587 times
Stare him down. Sit up in bed, blank face, speak to him firmly using the word stop or no. It's a delicate balance especially with a rescue not knowing how bad things were before you got them. I think there is a risk striking a rescue even if not forceful due to past trauma, and the last thing you want is for him to connect you to that trauma.

I think dogs react to firm voices and staredowns as good as anything. You have to be consistent, and if he calms down one morning praise him, and when he acts up be firm in look and tone.

Just my .02.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
OP,

Dogs are pack animals. They look to the pack leader for guidance. In a pack, the leader may snip at another dog who steps out of line. Mother dogs do that with their puppies as well. When there is no pack, the dog looks to the human as the alpha. There is nothing wrong with using correction to break a bad habit. Dogs have a one track mind and sometimes you have to refocus their mind if they are behaving in an inappropriate way. Sometimes you can do that with a stern voice, but sometimes you have to do that with a light swat if their focus is too heavy on whatever they are after or trying to do. You have to snap them out of it. This is no more detrimental to the dog than what the mother or the pack leader in a group of dogs would do.

Some posters have mentioned that crates are bad..... they're not if not used incorrectly. If a dog's punishment is to go to their crate then it becomes a negative thing for them. If they see their crate as their home or their bed, they will have no problems with it.

My three dogs look to me as the alpha. They follow my commands with very little fuss. My wife on the other hand, cannot control them AT ALL. She used to get on to me if I swatted one with a newspaper as a puppy until she talked with a trainer who told her that was the correct method to use and explained the pack mentality that dogs have. She regularly calls for them and they ignore her. I can call for them and all three will be sitting at my feet in a few seconds, wagging their tails and waiting for the next command. (Boxer, Daschund, Pitbull)

At night when we go to bed, they sleep in their crates in the garage. When I turn the tv off and say it's time for bed they beat me to the door. They have zero issues with sleeping in there because they know I will let them out tomorrow morning.

There is a huge difference in abuse and a swat and that difference is no different with a dog than a human. I would caution to using your hand however as they begin to associate the object you use for the swat with negativity. By using a newspaper, they learn that when they are doing something wrong and the paper is picked up that they need to cease the action. You don't really want them to do that every time you move your hand. You must also regularly praise their good deeds and reinforce the positive behavior as well. There must be a good and consistent balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs