Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,065 times

Advertisements

Hey, I come from the 50s when a kid got "beat with the ironing cord"...which didn't work, so why did a parent continue the corporal punishment? If the kid continued, isn't it time to try a new punishment?

The teachers in those days were allowed to paddle, the woodshop teacher took pride in making the longest, thickest paddle in the school. I didn't like that girls were paddled by male teachers on the rump. NOT on the hands, or leg but on the buttocks! these teachers even bragged about "how the paddle" was designed and cut, with drilled holes in them to 'suck the meat thru' when on the upswing to get better speed! WTF?

This was NOT in a rural small town, it was in Michigan, in Pontiac & Detroit areas.
Anybody else get paddled, and when did they stop this practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
The definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!
If a punishment is not effective no matter what it is then I guess it's time to go back to the "toolbox" and figure out some other way.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:00 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
well my father spanked me, and it worked for me i have to say. it did not work for my brother though. i dont use corporal punishment on my son because i dont want to hurt him. although sometimes i think he can use a good spanking!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Didn't work for me. I just became better at not getting caught. In me it bred resentment too.

Not saying I haven't spanked my kids but it has been a rarity in their upbringing. I have boys 10 and 16 who are the kids other parents want around to "set a good example"... kids who never get in trouble in school, and who are generally well behaved at home. I don't think it's cuz I spanked them a few times, really.

Now on the other hand we have a 5 yo girl who is the kind that makes people say "that child NEEDS a spanking!"... and we went down that road for a while, but it didn't help one bit.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Worked with me.I never wanted my mother to report waht i had done to my father because I knew that it meant I had taled my way uot of it.I could have given a heck about reasoning and being talked to. That comes when you get older.It has to be consistaant because threating parents are a joke with kids. Now days I often see kids threatening their parents in public;hate to see waht its like at home.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:50 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
we have a 5 yo girl who is the kind that makes people say "that child NEEDS a spanking!"
I have one of those too. And while she sometimes DOES get a spanking, she's still strong-willed and "spirited." It will serve her well one day, I'm sure, but for now, she spends a good bit of time on the "naughty step." LOL

Old 06-08-2008, 03:54 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I have one of those too. And while she sometimes DOES get a spanking, she's still strong-willed and "spirited." It will serve her well one day, I'm sure, but for now, she spends a good bit of time on the "naughty step." LOL
LOL yes I totally know what you mean.

My ever-insightful 10 year old always reminds us and says things like "Well, we don't have to worry about her being pushed around or bullied when she's older!" That's a good way to spin it, huh?

To be fair, she has other issues behind her behavior (which we're seeking therapy for).. but sometimes, wow. I had a friend who used to say, about HER strong willed daughter, "If she'd been born first she'd be an only child." LOL (she was the third)... and some days I totally get that!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
I was raised in the 50s/60s and was spanked. I hated, hated, hated it. I especially hated being told the lie, "This hurts me more than it does you." Bull! As a child I resolved if I *ever* had kids, they would never, ever be spanked, smacked, slapped or whatever. I was going to stop the cycle. I'd find a different way to make my point.

Well, I married and eventually had the spanking discussion with the husband, who was initially on the fence ("We got spanked and we turned out ok..." ). It was my contention that when you hit a child, you teach them that you have the right to hit people when they do things you don't like. You especially have that right if the person with whom you disagree is smaller than you are. That was not a lesson I wanted to teach.

I won. Our child, who is now a teen, has never been spanked or smacked or hit (playful little slaps in fun don't count). We used other methods of teaching discipline.

We must have done something right because, for our son's entire life, we've gotten nothing but glowing reports about what a delightful young man he is. Fun, funny, respectful, compassionate and just an all-around nice guy. I think not spanking, coupled with other forms of teaching disciple, played a key role in helping him develop into the person he is now.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
I laughed at your question, because the answer is of course not. But humans do plenty of things that don't do any good. People get frustrated, then they loose control. That's some. The rest of them have been trained to be control freaks whose violence is justified, and that does not work either.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,476 times
It worked for me. Did not work for my brother though. I did not get many whoopings-but I deserved the ones I got. I did not get whooped with switches like some of my friends. They had to go outside and pick their own switch. My mom and dad used a belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting