Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Yes. Bitten by little dogs when I was a little kid. I don't remember it, but I've got the scars on my fingers/hands.

Last December, I was bitten by the dog that lives across the hall from me, a large hound-dog type. I live in an apartment complex, and I was in the hallway at the same time he and his owner were. I was standing far away from him and wasn't looking at him, but he went for me anyway. Four puncture wounds on the right forearm, one for each of his canines (upper and lower), but only one of them was deep. It seeped blood for about 7 hours, but I didn't get stitches.

When he bit me, it felt like someone had slammed me in the arm with a baseball bat. My arm went numb and weak.
Yikes, so what happened to the dog? Did you report this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 06:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
No. But multiple times by an evil cat not to mention the scratches from his unprovoked stealth attacks. And once by a horse.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Yes and I still have the scar on my leg.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM

454 posts, read 495,651 times
My recently passed Bullie bit me once when he overbit for a treat. This was when I was getting to know his quirks(rescue). That was stopped quickly.

Also when I was about 8 on vacation in France. A dachshund bit my finger when I went to pet him. Little poopnugget. Since then I've never been a fan of little dogs but I learned my lesson about how to approach dogs and ask permission.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
yes, a few times, but not hard enough to draw blood. does that count?

I love dogs, had them since age 4, and will always have them...

Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
The last time I was bitten I was trying to break up a fight between a Hungarian Vizla and a German Shepherd, I tried to pull the Vizla back and he turned around and latched onto my arm. Luckily it didn't break the skin and only left a bruise.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Yep. Bitten by a dog when I was around 8 or so. I was sitting next to him (Bonzo) on a neighbour's step and touched his tail...must've been a sensitive spot, because he was a totally sweet dog...and he just reacted by clunking me on my forehead. I had a huge welt on my head as a result, and I went home in tears, not because I'd been hurt, but because I knew my mother would notice, and Bonzo would be blamed. So as soon as I walked in the house I burst into tears saying, "It wasn't his fault! It was mine!". Bonzo subsequently wasn't blamed, but I was, for hanging out with "rough" dogs. :P

I was bitten again a couple of years ago. This time it was a neighbour's dog, a massive rottie who I didn't know was reactive to people when on the leash. Unfortunately my neighbour (Rock) didn't tell me this, and so while Rock was playing with my dog (Izzy, who adored my neighbour), Rock's dog, Bear, was standing next to me. So I spoke to Bear and reached over to give him a pat on the head...and that's when he lunged for my hand. Thankfully he missed - which I suspect was on purpose, a dog reacting that quickly wouldn't miss - he wound up just grazing my hand, but it scared the $!@#$%@# out of me. Gotta say, ever since that happened I've been somewhat gunshy of large dogs now, unfortunately.
Interesting. First, tho, to answer the OP: yeah, I've been bitten a few times, but not recently. A couple of times trying to break up dogs who were fighting. At least once, as a child, by a dog who was feeling protective of his property as I walked by. But I really want to know why the question is being asked!

Back to bassetluv's observation. My female herding dog does this snarly, tooth-baring, tooth-snapping action that seems primarily designed to intimidate. And let me tell you - it IS scary! The thing is - she often acts like she is going to bite, but it is always a near-miss! Or, at least, so far it has always been a near miss.

And I don't think I've ever noticed behavior like this before. Oh, I may have seen similar behavior in little yappy dogs before - I really don't recall - as I don't pay much attention to dogs like that. But bassetluv's description just struck me as so similar to what I'm seeing - my dog is missing on purpose, I think!

I still watch her, and try to keep us out of situations where she might do this, but it is interesting to see somebody else with a similar observation!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Interesting. First, tho, to answer the OP: yeah, I've been bitten a few times, but not recently. A couple of times trying to break up dogs who were fighting. At least once, as a child, by a dog who was feeling protective of his property as I walked by. But I really want to know why the question is being asked!

Back to bassetluv's observation. My female herding dog does this snarly, tooth-baring, tooth-snapping action that seems primarily designed to intimidate. And let me tell you - it IS scary! The thing is - she often acts like she is going to bite, but it is always a near-miss! Or, at least, so far it has always been a near miss.

And I don't think I've ever noticed behavior like this before. Oh, I may have seen similar behavior in little yappy dogs before - I really don't recall - as I don't pay much attention to dogs like that. But bassetluv's description just struck me as so similar to what I'm seeing - my dog is missing on purpose, I think!

I still watch her, and try to keep us out of situations where she might do this, but it is interesting to see somebody else with a similar observation!

My late Jazz could make what I called her "ugly face" that she would use to manipulate people like vets so they would not do things she did not like to her. She had them all frightened of her which cracked up the kennel staff at my vets who all adored Jazz and thought she was so sweet while the vets thought she was vicious! She did control the vets that is for sure. She would also make "ugly face" at weird strangers that would approach me and they would back off fast as she was very frightening looking when she made it. I felt safe walking at night with her as no one was going to mess with us once she showed them her teeth.

One of the vets made a big mistake when dealing with her one day and she snapped right in the vets face, both the vet and I felt had she really wanted to bite her she would have.It was a warning to back off. Despite her ability to look vicious in her 14.5 yrs on earth she never bit a person or injured another dog or any animal for that matter. Dogs have great control over their mouths and the "missing on purpose" should be taken as a warning to back off.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Saddest thing I saw was a pet rescue place "test" which dogs were to be put to sleep. They tested " aggressiveness. How?

They basically brought two dogs into a room...placed a bowl of food there. Then prodded them as they went for the food. Who ever nipped...got placed on the "put to sleep" list.

I still cannot fathom how inhumane these humane societies can be.

My pets wouldn't have lasted thru round one! They loved meal time...and expected that there food was their food! Don't interrupt them.

I was bite once by a German Shepard...it was a barnyard dog....vicious as the day was long...the owner
In this day and age would be fined for his animal abuse.....that dog didn't have a chance to be loved...

Old 11-04-2016, 10:26 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Have been bitten by dogs, cats, and geese. Geese were the worst, sneaking up behind and biting for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs