Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2016, 03:07 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times

Advertisements

My attitude towards most dogs in general has always been at best ambivalent. I don't really LIKE dogs in the sense that some people live and breathe and pamper them. But I don't necessarily DISlike them either. Like I said.....my attitude towards most canines is and always been a solid "meh" of indifference.

I've recently come to inherit a couple of them. Well not really "inherit". More like "stuck with now". Long story, not really germane to this post.

Anyway, I guess since I have them, I should try and learn about them and how to read them. Cats, I like and understand. Dogs, not so much.

What kind are they? I think she told me they are "cockapoos" or something like that. I Googled that and learned that dog fanciers in recent years have invented all sorts of vanity, nice sounding names to cover up and disguise what to me, is still just a mutt. But whatever. Potato. Puh-TA-To. A contraction of two disparate breeds. I asked her if the AKC recognizes her dogs as a breed and she said "no". So again as far as I'm concerned, they're just mutts.

Anyway, let me just say that they both have excellent temperaments. Both are very playful and obedient. They seem to be potty trained and except for a few small holes dug in my yard, have not been destructive. Overall, I really can't find any fault in either of their temperaments and personality. They're a bit clingy and needy and start to whine if left alone outside for more than, oh about two seconds.

I pet them and feed them and share in taking part of their basic needs. But I have some questions on body language cues and what they mean.

• I've noticed that with her, they prance and jump around and stand on their hind legs with their front paws propped on her legs. And the tail is wagging and whirling like a helicopter blade. They approach me like this too, but with one difference: the tail seldom wags. And usually when they stand up on me and I pet their head, the tail is either barely moving or often tucked under their butt.
  • They ALWAYS follow me outside. As soon as I approach the back door, they make a beeline over and start jumping and making all sorts of ruckus that's plainly visible to even a dolt like me that they are excited. They seem to like being outside if someone is with them. But the minute I even approach the door to come back in, they make a beeline to it. Why this constant in-out-in-out, follow me like a shadow? They act all excited to go outside but then when I leave them there, they start whining because I've returned to inside.
  • Frequently when I call them, they'll take a few steps towards me then flop over on their side, with the belly and one paw way up in the air. What does this mean?
  • They also often do this if I approach them. But not always.
  • When I walk past them without acknowledging their presence, they do a sort of partial, thumping tail wag that's kinda, sort of a wag, but not really.
  • What does it mean when they are looking at me, in the seated position with the face trembling and the eyes alternating between half closed and a wide open stare? And the tail is going a mile a minute. Or sometimes not at all.
What does all of this mean? Would their new home being "My" home have anything to do with it?

Again as I said. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to dog behavior. So educate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 03:25 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
But I have some questions on body language cues and what they mean.

• I've noticed that with her, they prance and jump around and stand on their hind legs with their front paws propped on her legs. And the tail is wagging and whirling like a helicopter blade. They approach me like this too, but with one difference: the tail seldom wags. And usually when they stand up on me and I pet their head, the tail is either barely moving or often tucked under their butt.
  • They ALWAYS follow me outside. As soon as I approach the back door, they make a beeline over and start jumping and making all sorts of ruckus that's plainly visible to even a dolt like me that they are excited. They seem to like being outside if someone is with them. But the minute I even approach the door to come back in, they make a beeline to it. Why this constant in-out-in-out, follow me like a shadow? They act all excited to go outside but then when I leave them there, they start whining because I've returned to inside.
  • Frequently when I call them, they'll take a few steps towards me then flop over on their side, with the belly and one paw way up in the air. What does this mean?
  • They also often do this if I approach them. But not always.
  • When I walk past them without acknowledging their presence, they do a sort of partial, thumping tail wag that's kinda, sort of a wag, but not really.
  • What does it mean when they are looking at me, in the seated position with the face trembling and the eyes alternating between half closed and a wide open stare? And the tail is going a mile a minute. Or sometimes not at all.
What does all of this mean? Would their new home being "My" home have anything to do with it?
Numbers 1, 3, and 4 are submissive behaviors. The dogs aren't yet confident around you, and are a bit afraid of you. As they become more comfortable around you, I'd expect these behaviors to decline.

Numbers 2, 4, and 6 are reflections of the pack nature of dogs. They don't want simply be outside; they want to be outside with their pack leader (you). And they crave attention and acknowledgement from their pack leader.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:25 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
They want desperately to love and trust you but they're not quite there yet. They've been abandoned by the person they loved and trusted. They are getting to know you just like you're getting to know them. It sounds like so far, they approve of you. Exposing their tummy is submissive. If they totally didn't trust you, they would never let you see their belly.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:05 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Thanks. That helps.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Oy. So much to say.

I don't like the "pack/leader" analogy, because it doesn't really fit, but it is enough to start with.

Dogs are social. Dogs have an instinct to bond with and interact with humans. It isn't "pack/leader", but close enough so that the "pack / leader" idea works as a a starting point.

Dogs have different instinct patterns, depending on their "breed" inheritance. Your dogs obviously think very highly of doing things WITH you. Some breeds will happily go solo. Most won't. Yours won't.

The thing for you to do is to HAVE FUN, with many exclamation points. WITH the dogs. What can they do that you will enjoy? Play fetch? Go for a run? Follow you on a bike ride?

If you have inherited the dogs, and NOTHING appeals to you to have fun with them, then you should re-home the dogs.

Now, on to body language and resources that can help you. First I will mention some books that you should find helpful - more helpful than we can be in the limits of a forum.
"On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals", au: Turid Rugaas (a small but good reference)
"Canine Body Language" by Brenda Aloff (I personally have not read this. Google search turns it up).
"The Culture Clash", au: Jean Donaldson (a great resource for understanding dogs)
"Dogs: A new understanding", au: Ray Coppinger (a more general coverage, but will give you an understanding of instinct behavior groups)

You may find others.

Next, on body language and breed instinct. I don't care what you call the dog, breed or mutt, it doesn't matter. Mutts are generally healthier anyway. But breed inheritence will give you an idea as to what to expect in behavior. Your dogs are patently social. Their human bond is strong. They want to work WITH you, not alone. (I've had hounds who were happy to go off all alone.) The belly exposure is not just submissive - it is also social. It is a relaxed invitation to indulge in mutual "strokes". It can be a bonding thing, but some dogs use it as a friendly "hello, I want to be friends!" gesture.

"The Look". If a dog is bonding to you, it will look at you. This may feel like a stare if you are not familiar with it. The dog's focus is on YOU, They are watching to see what you want, they are watching you because they want to bond to YOU and they want to call you "friend and companion". Human lovers do very much the same thing. You can tell when a person is "in love" by "the Look" they give to the person who they are "in love" with.

Tail wagging: well, that is pretty obvious, isn't it? More tail wagging = more excitement / happiness.

One of the things you need to know is what your dogs enjoy doing. Different breeds will have different instinct patterns. Some have a lot of <CHASE>, which means they will enjoy games like fetch. Some have a lot of <FIND>, which is a smell thing - and they will enjoy smell games (google smell games dogs). Some have a lot of <SOCIAL>, which means their primary motivation is making you happy and spending time touching with you. Etc.

You should do your best to find out what your previous owners did to have fun with the dogs. They are adult dogs now, and it will be harder for them to change patterns than if they were pups.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Oy. So much to say.

I don't like the "pack/leader" analogy, because it doesn't really fit, but it is enough to start with.

Dogs are social. Dogs have an instinct to bond with and interact with humans. It isn't "pack/leader", but close enough so that the "pack / leader" idea works as a a starting point.

Dogs have different instinct patterns, depending on their "breed" inheritance. Your dogs obviously think very highly of doing things WITH you. Some breeds will happily go solo. Most won't. Yours won't.

The thing for you to do is to HAVE FUN, with many exclamation points. WITH the dogs. What can they do that you will enjoy? Play fetch? Go for a run? Follow you on a bike ride?

If you have inherited the dogs, and NOTHING appeals to you to have fun with them, then you should re-home the dogs.

Now, on to body language and resources that can help you. First I will mention some books that you should find helpful - more helpful than we can be in the limits of a forum.
"On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals", au: Turid Rugaas (a small but good reference)
"Canine Body Language" by Brenda Aloff (I personally have not read this. Google search turns it up).
"The Culture Clash", au: Jean Donaldson (a great resource for understanding dogs)
"Dogs: A new understanding", au: Ray Coppinger (a more general coverage, but will give you an understanding of instinct behavior groups)

You may find others.

Next, on body language and breed instinct. I don't care what you call the dog, breed or mutt, it doesn't matter. Mutts are generally healthier anyway. But breed inheritence will give you an idea as to what to expect in behavior. Your dogs are patently social. Their human bond is strong. They want to work WITH you, not alone. (I've had hounds who were happy to go off all alone.) The belly exposure is not just submissive - it is also social. It is a relaxed invitation to indulge in mutual "strokes". It can be a bonding thing, but some dogs use it as a friendly "hello, I want to be friends!" gesture.

"The Look". If a dog is bonding to you, it will look at you. This may feel like a stare if you are not familiar with it. The dog's focus is on YOU, They are watching to see what you want, they are watching you because they want to bond to YOU and they want to call you "friend and companion". Human lovers do very much the same thing. You can tell when a person is "in love" by "the Look" they give to the person who they are "in love" with.

Tail wagging: well, that is pretty obvious, isn't it? More tail wagging = more excitement / happiness.

One of the things you need to know is what your dogs enjoy doing. Different breeds will have different instinct patterns. Some have a lot of <CHASE>, which means they will enjoy games like fetch. Some have a lot of <FIND>, which is a smell thing - and they will enjoy smell games (google smell games dogs). Some have a lot of <SOCIAL>, which means their primary motivation is making you happy and spending time touching with you. Etc.

You should do your best to find out what your previous owners did to have fun with the dogs. They are adult dogs now, and it will be harder for them to change patterns than if they were pups.
^^^ This, and the reading list in particular!

Old 11-26-2016, 08:39 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Dogs love to go outside. Dogs do not like to be locked outside away from the family. They want to go outside with you, they don't want to be left outside alone.

The dogs are uncertain about you. They are not sure that you really like them. Perhaps you are more loud than they are accustomed to, or move stronger. You admit that you don't like them, they know that.

I suggest that you call them just before you go outside and call them as you start back in. That has to do with your pack status, just trust me and do it.

If they look at you with uncertainty, say a few kind words in a pleasant voice. If you can't think of anything to say, just say "I see you, dogs name".

If they are allowed on the furniture, call them up to sit on your lap. That is bonding and trust building.

I suggest that you put on their leashes and take them for walks. Again that is bonding.

I suspect that the dogs have moved in with their owner. It will improve your relationship with the dogs' owner if you are kind to the dogs and make the effort to bond with them.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dogs love to go outside. Dogs do not like to be locked outside away from the family. They want to go outside with you, they don't want to be left outside alone.

The dogs are uncertain about you. . . .
Good advice.

To a dog, getting to go for a walk, all by itself, is a reward. They still need to burn off energy, just like kids, but going for a walk, where there are smells galore, is like going to the movies for a kid. Doesn't matter if it is the same walk as yesterday - a ton of things have happened since then - and to the dog - it's like getting today's news delivered.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Good advice.

To a dog, getting to go for a walk, all by itself, is a reward. They still need to burn off energy, just like kids, but going for a walk, where there are smells galore, is like going to the movies for a kid. Doesn't matter if it is the same walk as yesterday - a ton of things have happened since then - and to the dog - it's like getting today's news delivered.
That is so true. I love how you put it: Like getting today's news delivered. That's cute. Never thought of it like that, but I will start asking them to relay the "stories" that they've read. "So, what's up with Rover today? The trail says he chased a squirrel? How exciting!"

To the OP: I think they view you as the pack leader, and the other person as a member of the pack. Dogs are pack animals, plain and simple. How a dog acts around the pack leader is far different than how a dog will act around someone they either perceive to be just another member of the pack, or a stranger.

As someone noted, many of those behaviors are all submissive behaviors. Your job is to take on the role of pack leader. What that means is that they are going to look to you for what to do. A dog without a strong pack leader is going to try to take on that role, but it doesn't mean that they want that role. They would much prefer that you do it so that they can relax.

Being a strong pack leader is not a negative. You let them know what is acceptable, what isn't acceptable, you keep them safe, you take the lead, and most importantly of all - you have to be fair. If they do something that you won't allow, you have to be fair. You have to know that they know, 100% without a doubt, what you find unacceptable. If they do something that you don't like, you don't punish them, you redirect.

Respect is what you want because that means the dog will do what you like because they want to, not because they fear you.

Learn about positive reinforcement, redirecting, jackpot treats, and watch "It's Yer Choice"...all of these can be found on YouTube.

Dog Body Language

Dog is happy:

panting, face and body are relaxed
happy expression - yes that "doggie smile" you hear about
tail wagging rapidly
tail banging away on the floor
play bow - front paws stretched out, butt up in the air....my girl dog does this a LOT!

Your dog is interested in something, (could be you, not just an object):

If you want to see this, simply hold a piece of food in your hand that you are making them know you will be giving to them. Watch this happen before your eyes.

ears are forward/alert, their mouth is closed, their eyes are intense, their body is forward and tense.
tail could be high and wagging - slowly, usually.

Dog is unsure - not the same as anxious:

If you keep going inside without them, you might see this more often as they will become a little nervous about what you're going to do.

yawning, but not because they are tired
licking their lips
they start scratching or biting their paws or sniff the ground
they shake like when you give a dog a bath and he shakes the water off, but they don't have any water on them

Dog is anxious:

the dog gets up and leaves - example: people in the room are arguing, the dog will get up and leave the room
dog turns face away from you
dog hides
dog barks while backing up (you see this a LOT with little yappy dogs)
dog rolls over on back
their tail is between their legs, or it's low or down
ears back

Dog about to bite:

If you see any of these, back off.

"whale eyes" This is when the dog is looking at you sideways and you can see a lot of the white in the eyes.
dog suddenly stops and is tense
dog stands with front legs apart
dog's head is low while they look at you
dog shows you its teeth
dog may or may not wag tail. A wagging tail is NOT always a sign of happiness, you have to match it up with other body postures.

Aggressive dog:

I don't see you having this problem, but still, very good to know

guarding
snap and miss - dogs don't miss...this is an intentional warning.
snarling, barking, growling, lunging - these are obvious
if the dog starts peeing all over your stuff, you have a problem

They are being submissive to you, they aren't quite sure of you yet but want to be, they are looking at you as more of the leader than the other, take on that role, be firm and fair, you will have loyal companions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs