Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 05:02 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

Yes Dog as in you will get a Dog Killed along with the live stock! If indeed you have Coyotes.

This is also a Learning Forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The pound in Prineville Oregon is chock full of cattle dog crosses, many of them puppies. Nearly everyone of them would make a good farm dog,

Small livestock needs to be securely contained at night. That means chickens closed into their coop and goats in their barn.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
A farm dog can really be any breed that will stick around. And Austrailan Shepherd (Aussie) or an Australian cattle dog (heeler) either one would be fine, a little more independent, if that is what you like? They are also great house dogs.

The Aussie has more hair, so the more hair, the more work (I mean for a farm dog). There are working aussies with less hair, and mixes thereof.
The type of property you have may help you decide on the coat (lots of burrs, you'd want less coat).

You might also look at curs. Black mouth, catahoula, blue lacy. They are all very protective as well, and some are a bit larger. Read about them first, they might not fit. None of the above are "easy" or soft dogs.

But all of the above do tend to stay around their place, though you can't just leave them all day loose. Until you will be there all day, you would still have to put them up safely.
Some people do leave them, but not a good starting point. When you are there you could easily rely on all of the above to stick around. The only issue you might have is with delivery people, strangers, etc...

What is your preference in personality type? That might help for advice.

Just for example you couldn't pay me to live with a golden retriever, or a pitbull, or even a border collie, they are (not all of them) way too soft and needy for me. Nothing against either breed at all! And I know there are some that are more independent. I love everything about the pitbull in particular, they are just not quite independent enough for me. Even my GSD follows me to the bathroom, he is a little needy I just got a Yorkie mix puppy, because I needed an independent warning barker to go with my pretty quiet, and not very stranger aware heeler x and my GSD. The is sometimes an all around farm dog that you will find, and then you sometimes need different dogs for different reasons.

Check your local Craigslist, pound, etc... if you are in Texas, any Craigslist is chock full of dogs needing homes, (advertised on CL before they get dumped - hopefully at a shelter). I would choose a pup, unless you can find an adult that fits your needs (including not chasing strange cats). Sometimes people have to place their farm dog for some reason, they are worth a lot imo, because you can see what you will get.

When you are ready for a livestock Guardian Animal, that will be a whole nuther story and like Oregonwoodsmoke said the livestock you have now just need to be locked up at night, and tight. MUCH Easier, and cheaper than a Guardian animal for the livestock you have.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Goats & Sheep You NEED a Lama!! They will Protect from Dogs Wolves Foxes & Coyote! I seen them take out Pit Bulls!
my friend has 2 llamas for his sheep- a coyote killed 2 last fall.
They aren't fool proof and they will also try to kill your pet dogs.
My neighbor had a wild burro- same - he got a dog to be in with his lambs (he bred lambs for the heirloom meat market)...
he had anatolian mixes, shorter coat might be better for Texas..

Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 PM

For your house dog, and the cats, I would think a puppy might be best to start off with- some breeds are more easy going (less prey drive ) than others and you will be starting to acquire all your livestock, and plus the cats, its just LESS hassle in the long run to train a pup to suit.

If coat work is a concern you could go the standard or giant schnauzer route (I have a giant) they don't shed. I keep mine clipped but if you get the correct German wire coat they don't really need clipping...
They aren't easy dogs, as in they like having duties and things to do (but with a ranch I think that would be perfect) aren't needy but attentive and do follow you around (more that they need to be in on any action, than being insecure) and a great for watching over the household.
They aren't ball obsessed either (another thing that drives me nuts in a dog)... great companionship- important for a house dog -- a dogs suitability as a companion animal is what you are looking for, I think.

(PS forgot to add, the terriers, and the schnauzer is a terrier, do have prey drive- but thats why I said get a puppy, you can do anything with a puppy, pretty much even one hard wired to kill little things)...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 12-12-2016 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you want to spend some money and spend some time searching, a Farm Airedale will do exactly what you are looking for.

Tough, scrappy, loving with their people, good vermin control, child protector, can be trained to do any farm task, including herding and gun dog.

There are several good Farm Airedale breeders in Texas and Arizona.

I've got the ranch type of Australian Shepherd. Medium coat but very hard and slick that sheds burrs and dirt. Too much energy for a house dog, but he loves being a house dog, so he manages to do it. This is a dog that could learn to do anything. A bit too small to take on a pack of coyotes. He could handle one, bit I wouldn't count on just one coyote if they are coming for your dog. He can handle stock but he isn't really bred to be a fighter. In fact, he is bred to get along with all the other stock dogs when the neighbors get together to work cattle.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Great Pyrenees are popular Farm dogs as are Anatolia Shepherds. You could find one at a shelter/rescue in TX. In fact, this weekend I saw a post about a pyr in need in zTX.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
A catahoula for working, a friendly pit bull for cuddling

Old 12-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Great Pyrenees are popular Farm dogs as are Anatolia Shepherds. You could find one at a shelter/rescue in TX. In fact, this weekend I saw a post about a pyr in need in zTX.
I almost suggest a pyr, but didn't think the coat would be much fun in texas- Romaneats has one as a house dog, I am sure she will chime in eventually-

I had to rehome a Pyr-anatolian mix to a friend (I had to move) and that was the best dog ever- he had a lighter coat so could handle 100 summer days as well as snowy winters...
very gentle with his animals (and they were HIS animals) including the house cats- wouldn't even let crows land on our land.
And, he kept a mountain lion off our stock, at a time the neighbors were losing theirs- neighbor shot it IN THEIR BARN over the body of his prize nanny goat after a month of predation.
In fact his personality was so well rounded, he would have been wasted purely as a LGD,- he could go from a fluffy white ball of fur to snarling wall of formidability in a a second flat, but,
I am glad he's essentially a house dog now (although has a acre yard, and they do have bear issues, they are an elderly couple and 2 cattle dogs so he still has his work overseeing a household)...

Old 12-12-2016, 05:33 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
my friend has 2 llamas for his sheep- a coyote killed 2 last fall.
They aren't fool proof and they will also try to kill your pet dogs.
My neighbor had a wild burro- same - he got a dog to be in with his lambs (he bred lambs for the heirloom meat market)...
he had anatolian mixes, shorter coat might be better for Texas..
Any animal can be killed But some are better than others at protecting themselves & their buddies. My GF Wild Mustang kill quite a few neighbors dogs. When her & her DH divorced she gave Bay ...the Mustang to a Farmer that raise sheep. That farmer didn't have any problems after that. When my Trainer boarded a small heard of sheep her own AmStaff/Pit got in & killed them Not only did she replace the Sheep she got a Lama... It only took one time those dogs decide to stay out of the field!

I Raised Collies that had Great Herding abilities they also Guarded what ever the farmers had that need watched. Kept out packs of wild dogs that were killing local live stock. But the Collies WERE Not House dogs! They lived in the Barn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs