Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,956 times

Advertisements

A new law requires pet owners to sterilize their pets by 4 months of age.

Pet sterilization becomes law in LA - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:30 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
My question is what constitutes a "professional breeder?" I have known so many people that recklessly breed dogs and sell them with no regard to improving the breed that call themselves breeders. Even one that are licensed can and do fall under that catagory.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,465,931 times
I'm so glad that the city's goal is to be no-kill and they're taking steps in that direction.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
My question is what constitutes a "professional breeder?" I have known so many people that recklessly breed dogs and sell them with no regard to improving the breed that call themselves breeders. Even one that are licensed can and do fall under that catagory.
Good question on the Professional breeder. Who is going to decide this? Only people who show dogs? Registered kennels (breed so many litters a year with one stud get this)? How they going to find these back yard breeders or people that get P.O. box outside the city limits and live there? They better clarify this fast.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Denver has a similar law but it is not so severe.
During our Elwood's first (and only) year of being intact, we paid $95 for the privilege of having a dog with testes.
The way I look at it, passing a law like this is a step in the right direction.
Of course, enforcing it is another story.
But you have to start somewhere.
This below is just a sad waste of life--and money:
Los Angeles animal shelters took in 50,000 cats and dogs last year and euthanized approximately 15,000 at a cost of $2 million, according to city official.
Pet sterilization becomes law in LA - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Last edited by deegers; 02-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: adding link for quote due to copyrighting laws

Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
IMHO I think its a terrible law. I would never neuter my dog if forced to. Why should somebody who has a dog that dosent get in contact with another be forced to neuter ? Just smells of another PETA backe law to me. Denver is the hellhole on earth when it comes to dog laws also.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Just the government telling us how to live our lives. Mind you, I sterilize my pets. But if I lived in LA, I would tell them to go to hell just on the principle of the thing.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
"Competition dogs: A Competition Dog is a dog which is used to show, to compete or to breed, which is of a breed recognized by and registered with the American Kennel Club (AKC), United Kennel Club (UKC), American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA) or other approved breed registries. The dog or owner must also meet ONE of the following requirements:
The dog has competed in at least one dog show or sporting competition sanctioned by a national registry or approved by the department within the last 365 days; or
The dog has earned a conformation, obedience, agility, carting, herding, protection, rally, sporting, working or other title from a purebred dog registry referenced above or other registry or dog sport association approved by the department; or
The owner or custodian of the dog is a member of a department approved purebred dog breed clubs, which maintains and enforces a code of ethics for dog breeding that includes restrictions from breeding dogs with genetic defects and life threatening health problems that commonly threaten the breed. "
---------------------------------------------------------------

There are links on this page to the "approved" registeries and breed clubs:

New Ordinance Introduction Page - Department of Animal Care & Control

Even at first glance I can see lots of loopholes and ways around the restrictions....the law seems really stupid and unenforceable....

Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
But you cannot show a neutered/spayed dog in a AKC sanctioned show.
What about us that do it for SAR and not a police officer and such?We follow standards, breed for betterment of them, not breed if have bad qualities or problems.

People who want to show go ahead,I breed for intended use and do not show. I would have many fines in my house.My rescue is neutered,my English goes in Monday to get spayed and 3 intact dogs. Be just like someone telling me give up my guns or get fined,well I am a hunter keep guns,I breed for SAR take fines just tack cost onto sales isn't like make money anyways, but someboady has to keep breed doing what meant to be and not breed just to look pretty.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Just the government telling us how to live our lives. Mind you, I sterilize my pets. But if I lived in LA, I would tell them to go to hell just on the principle of the thing.
I was thinking the same exact thing.

I'm also wondering about enforcement of this law. How much money is going to be spent going after the "scofflaws" here? I'd wager it will be FAR more than the 2 million spent euthanizing animals. And, how are they going to ensure that every cat and dog is spayed or neutered? Especially cats, a lot of which don't ever set a paw outside.

I'll be very interested to see how this one pans out. Thankfully, from 1000 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs