Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

It would take less than 15 seconds for a hawk, eagle, aggressive stray or neighbor's dog, fox, or person to take this dog. I'm with you OP. I NEVER leave our small dogs outside alone, even for a few seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
My entire property is now surrounded by a 6 foot high chain link fence because a contractor who was working on my house a number of years ago left the front door of the house open for all of 2 seconds and my 2 dogs rushed out the door (the front yard was not fenced at the time) - the one in front was a 'bolter' (rescue dog) and the 2nd decided to follow because he thought the chase was play time. Both ran as fast as they could across the road. The first one was hit by a car (which never bothered to stop) and died instantly. I chased the 2nd one till I finally caught him on the neighbour's lawn before he tried to re-cross the street.

Scared the dickens out of me and left all of us very sad. The dogs were inside because the back gate was open a lot with the contractors going in and out - the fenced yard there was not safe as a result. They never usually went out the front door (either dogs or contractors - and the contractors had been told NOT to open that front door but one forgot).

Just like small kids, you can NEVER trust a dog that is not contained/on a leash, even if well trained. I would never have even trusted my dogs on a porch that was not walled off with a closed door after that incident. Believe me, I got paranoid too and from that point on I made sure I always had at least 3 options for fenced in yards that I could put my remaining dog into after that when anyone was going to be working on the property - or I would not even take a chance there and would take him to doggy daycare.

I am glad to hear you and your husband are on the same page now and that your dog is fine. I hope it stays that way.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
My entire property is now surrounded by a 6 foot high chain link fence because a contractor who was working on my house a number of years ago left the front door of the house open for all of 2 seconds and my 2 dogs rushed out the door (the front yard was not fenced at the time) - the one in front was a 'bolter' (rescue dog) and the 2nd decided to follow because he thought the chase was play time. Both ran as fast as they could across the road. The first one was hit by a car (which never bothered to stop) and died instantly. I chased the 2nd one till I finally caught him on the neighbour's lawn before he tried to re-cross the street.

Scared the dickens out of me and left all of us very sad. The dogs were inside because the back gate was open a lot with the contractors going in and out - the fenced yard there was not safe as a result. They never usually went out the front door (either dogs or contractors - and the contractors had been told NOT to open that front door but one forgot).

Just like small kids, you can NEVER trust a dog that is not contained/on a leash, even if well trained. I would never have even trusted my dogs on a porch that was not walled off with a closed door after that incident. Believe me, I got paranoid too and from that point on I made sure I always had at least 3 options for fenced in yards that I could put my remaining dog into after that when anyone was going to be working on the property - or I would not even take a chance there and would take him to doggy daycare.

I am glad to hear you and your husband are on the same page now and that your dog is fine. I hope it stays that way.
How sad that your dog got hit by a car and killed (so sorry) and that the idiot who killed him didn't even have the decency to stop. There are so really horrible people out there in the world.

No, we can never be too vigilant with our pets. It only takes a second of an owner's inattention for them to get themselves into bad situations.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wouldn't leave her unattended at all. She's a small purebred dog and as such is VERY attractive to thieves (in addition to all the other reasons mentioned here).
Also predators. Little dogs are often prey.

I have 2 55 lb dogs, and I'd never leave them unattended in the front yard.
Cars, people walking, other dogs, bobcats, rabbits, the call of the wild...all are too tempting.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM

66 posts, read 97,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Also predators. Little dogs are often prey.

I have 2 55 lb dogs, and I'd never leave them unattended in the front yard.
Cars, people walking, other dogs, bobcats, rabbits, the call of the wild...all are too tempting.
This is true. There's an alligator or two in the lake down the street from us, so we don't let her get near the edge of the water. Thankfully it all worked out!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM

66 posts, read 97,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog I'm glad you caught the other one! Agreed that too many problems would arise with an unleashed dog. Thankfully, she did have the 30 foot lead on while on the porch, so she was within grabbing distance of my husband. I also would not leave her home along if contractors would be coming in and out. We keep her baby gated in the kitchen on the three days per week she is home alone, and the only people who come inside are us, our dog walker, and my mother-in-law. Two people stop home during the day to walk her. The other two work days, she does go to a wonderful doggy daycare where she has a private room with theme decorations and access to a fenced-in play area during group play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs