Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 09:16 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,253 times

Advertisements

Recently had Charlie's teeth cleaned and in the pre-procedure lab work the Vet noticed an elevation in his Adrenal levels. She suspects Cushing's disease. I am worried after reading some of the details online.
Does anyone have experience with this disease? Any helpful advice for a worried mom? I haven't noticed any of the symptoms and that is puzzling. No excessive panting, urination, food issues either not eating or gorging like he's starved. He's the same silly dog.... I know he gets super scared at the vet - and he did have to have some teeth pulled and there was inflammation - so I think we both attributed the elevated level to that. but on the recheck - still elevated.

We will be running more tests to determine for sure,

thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM

246 posts, read 278,954 times
Default Would not recommend treatment

We had a german shepherd mix that was diagnosed with Cushing's, We went the treatment route, she got worse spent over $6k and she died anyway. There are other alternatives and the treatment is worse than the cure

Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
One of my first foster dogs was an old poodle/bichon with Cushings. She arrived with a huge erupting tumor and went into emergency surgery so this dog was a mess. She did well on her meds, vetoryl, and lived another year and a half. Quite a few of the dogs we have rescued have had cushings. In fact, an older dog that came in with Brooke 3 years ago is still doing well on vetoryl.

Have you ever tried taking Charlie to a holistic vet? Just as a fresh set of eyes/second opinion, not instead of his regular vet. When my Cavalier got older I used a wonderful holistic vet as complementary therapy. They are DVMs with additional training.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdj...#complementary

Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 PM

His checkup was last Saturday and the Vet called me Monday with the results. I have done some research but haven't dug too far. I am not going to just give in and put him on some thing that may make things worse, or hurt him in other ways. he has no symptoms, so issues so I feel I have time to learn and that's what the vet suggested. I know it can progress, I know it will possibly shorten his life, I am going to do what is right for him - not necessarily what is protocol.

I would like others to share so I am prepared and can learn how others have experienced and handled this diagnosis. He's almost 7 so I know I should still have some good years with him and just want to make sure I'm not expediting any issues.

thanks all!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM

With your follow up post and if your finances allow, you may be well served by taking Charlie to a good holistic vet for a second opinion and more options. They tend to be more conservative as well as curious and tailoring treatment to the individual dog. When my old Cavalier girl had to go on thyroid meds, my holistic vet put her on a natural version which she had a compounding pharmacy fill for us.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Had a dog that was diagnosed at 12 with it. Put him on Lysodren, and he lived to be 15 with no more symptoms of Cushings. He was put down due to spinal degeneration at age 15 1/2. Lysodren was not overly expensive.
If you do lysodren, try to start it on a monday, and ask vet for a little prednisone to keep on hand if needed. They kind of guess at the dose of lysodren. If dog od's and is having issues, prednisone reverses it. That's why you want to start it on monday, so you can get to vet if needed to adjust meds.
To diagnose cushings they will need to do an ACTH test/dex suppression test.
Sometimes cushings can be caused by a benign tumor on the adrenal gland and they can remove it, avoiding need for meds.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM

thanks everybody I am going to get a second opinion - he shows none of the symptoms. I understand the lab work shows the presence, but I don't know if putting him on something will help or not. I've had several people suggest Holistic Vets and so that is in the plan.

keep giving me advice please.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:45 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Our vet thinks our 13 year old lab may have it but there are not enough symptoms to say for sure. High ALP(549) and GGT(23) numbers in blood work, so there is something going on with the liver. But no excessive thirst/hunger or other symptoms. Wants to do an ultrasound and xray to check on things.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:59 AM

quick update - found a Holistic Vet and have an appointment next Saturday - wanted to make sure I could take extra time to really talk to her.

He had some issues Sunday (this past weekend) and I initially thought "crap - it's starting". He panted and panted and was just uncomfortable, then he had an accident in the house - something he never does. I'd taken him out several times and he tee-teed just fine. He came into the kitchen and barked and barked and I thought - you just went out you can't have to go again. I told him to hang on let me get to a stop in my mixing and he quieted down. thought - he saw somebody go by the front door. Went into the living room and he was in his crate - with his back to me, head tucked down. and I saw a small wet spot on the carpet. I apologized to him and cleaned it up. Took him out and he seemed to snap back to himself. he was embarrassed. other than some panting occasionally he was fine.

I thought yesterday and wondered if maybe the flea medicine I gave him Sunday Morning set off a little reaction cuz he was fine yesterday... gonna keep watching him.

I'm still researching this and I'll keep updating.

thanks all!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Make sure you have copies of all test results and complete vet file for the past couple of years if possible. Definitely all tests/bloodwork results, 1 - 2 yrs blood work should help the holistic vet see any patterns or changes. If he leaked it never hurts to do a U/A, ideally free catch (use a clean ladle).

Hope you get some answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs