Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:34 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually in rural areas shooting loose dogs is very legal depending on what the dog is doing or what you can "claim" it's doing. Harassing livestock or aggression to you on your property in any rural place I've lived is grounds for termination.

Personally, I'd much prefer to visit such punishment on the owner as the dog is just being a dog but if you can't find the owner then there's not much choice.
Livestock/Horses health or safety vs loose dog? No brainer.
My state has that law, and there have been several cases in my area where it had been exercised, followed by the owners of the dogs in question actually trying to use the media to drum up sympathy for themselves and their poor "innocent" pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
.......where do we expect them to pee?......
My dogs are trained to pee on my own lawn before we leave home. If your neighbors have lawns that you can use as a free bathroom for your dog, how come you don't have a lawn for your dog?

If you really don't have a lawn of your own, curb your dog. It's not that hard to train the dog where to do his business. You control where the dog is located. That's what your leash is for. Keep your dog off of other people's property.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
A question --

If dog urine is such a hazard to lawns, then why do parks stay so green (at least in my area) when there are so many dogs using it for a public urinal?

(Not trying to continue the "feud", but I would really like to know.)

Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My dogs are trained to pee on my own lawn before we leave home. If your neighbors have lawns that you can use as a free bathroom for your dog, how come you don't have a lawn for your dog?

If you really don't have a lawn of your own, curb your dog. It's not that hard to train the dog where to do his business. You control where the dog is located. That's what your leash is for. Keep your dog off of other people's property.
well, in chicagoland, my dog does pee on his own lawn, and with public easements everywhere, its not an issue; I don't let him go on neighbors actual lawns.
but, in Arizona, where it appears there are no easements in any of the towns we have been looking to buy in, and almost no grass anywhere, including the houses we are interested in buying, my question once again is, where is your dog supposed to go relieve himself?

and, I never said that I let my dogs use my neighbors lawns as a "free bathroom", so please read before you go flinging baseless allegations..

Old 05-25-2017, 11:09 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
My 7 1/2 mo Rottie has just started the habit of marking where other dogs have sprayed.
Although he has a pee before our walks, like most male dogs he seems to have an endless supply of urine to pee on every tree & pole he can find.

Trying to stop a headstrong, stubborn, powerfully built 35kg dog from marking isn't easy.
My last Rottie learned to **** his leg & mark, while barely breaking stride. It's what dogs do.

OP, the only way to stop dogs from peeing on your lawn is to build a fence or plant a hedge.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:03 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Sorry, I can't believe you think an owner can train a dog where to Pee. That is totally unrealistic expectations for even the most well behaved dog.
You on the other hand may be better off moving into a community or building where they don't allow dogs. Why aggravate yourself?

Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Sorry, I can't believe you think an owner can train a dog where to Pee. That is totally unrealistic expectations for even the most well behaved dog.
You on the other hand may be better off moving into a community or building where they don't allow dogs. Why aggravate yourself?
And I can't believe you're that full of crap. Dogs can certainly be trained where and where not to go. They can also be RESTRAINED and kept off someone else's property.

And why should the OP have to look for something special? Train or restrain your frickin dog and keep it off property that doesn't belong to you!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm a dog owner and never let my dog do his business in anyone's yard. It's just as easy to use the common areas or the public planting strip between the roads and sidewalks. We don't have issues in my hood with dog owners, but we sure do with cats that are allowed to roam or feral cats a neighbor feeds. I'd rather see those banned than dogs.
This is why I have a cat trap. I don't own cats, don't like cats and have no patience or want to pick up cat feces or tolerate their digging in my veggie garden to pee.
If people want to own cats then keep them to yourselves.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, in chicagoland, my dog does pee on his own lawn, and with public easements everywhere, its not an issue; I don't let him go on neighbors actual lawns.
but, in Arizona, where it appears there are no easements in any of the towns we have been looking to buy in, and almost no grass anywhere, including the houses we are interested in buying, my question once again is, where is your dog supposed to go relieve himself?

and, I never said that I let my dogs use my neighbors lawns as a "free bathroom", so please read before you go flinging baseless allegations..
Well, as someone else who lives in AZ there is grass in most if not all subdivisions and in the yards of people who decide to plant it instead of dirt/rocks/cactus like we did for our dog. Dogs will also go in the desert, on concrete,asphalt or basically any area that you allow them to. I've seen dogs pee just walking down a sidewalk so it doesn't HAVE to be grass or bushes...

Old 05-26-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Does your dog pee in the the house? How about on the walkaway up to your front door or in your car if you go for a ride?
Why doesn't it? Could it be TRAINED not to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs