Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,681 times

Advertisements

Right now our backyard has a partially fenced area-that's the frisbee area . The front part of the backyard is not fenced. We have a pen set up that we take Shelby (1 year old lab mix) out to go to the bathroom in. She is on a leash until she gets to the pen, taken off for her to go, and then put back on to come back inside. We are getting this section of the yard fenced in this week (THANK GOD!!!). What will I have to do to teach her that it's ok to just go out the door when we open it and go do her thing? We are going to keep the pen set up with the hopes that it will keep her going to the bathroom in a particular area. Any suggestions, tips will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times
Be patient - even though YOU are very excited about the fence, your dog may not be so keen on the idea of something new. When we first fenced in our yard it took about three weeks until my dog quit beating me back to the door. He had a hard time not expecting to go in as soon as I went in. He also sat at the door and barked for a while until he found out being outside without a leash, a pen or a grown-up was actually pretty fun.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Be patient - even though YOU are very excited about the fence, your dog may not be so keen on the idea of something new. When we first fenced in our yard it took about three weeks until my dog quit beating me back to the door. He had a hard time not expecting to go in as soon as I went in. He also sat at the door and barked for a while until he found out being outside without a leash, a pen or a grown-up was actually pretty fun.
Thanks. That's what I suspect is going to happen. Thanks for the time frame. I was curious to see how long to expect for her to realize her humans have just been holding her back with the whole leash in the yard bit.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,278,891 times
she'll figure it out. Maybe play hard w/ her and when she sit down to chill or sun disappear for different lengths of time?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Thank you!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Default The fence went up yesterday

And she LOVES it!! LOL. She was jumping around out there like crazy. She was so happy I almost cried (must be the pregnancy hormones ). I was like, "Shelby-you get to be a real dog now!! No more leash in the yard!!" She's doing pretty good going in her pen to go to the bathroom too-just has to be reminded right now.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
Great news glad responded to it so well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs