Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,888 times

Advertisements

these all just sound Luke a bunch of yappy little city dogs who bark at everything. maybe all u people need to find less crowded parks, I have a 90lb weimaraner and a 60lb pit/chow mix and I never leash them. they like to explore so I take them through back country woods and frequent visits to dog parks to socialize with other dogs, so when my dogs meet other dogs they kno how to behave. so mabe it's all those people who cage and keep theyre dogs locked up in house all day who r at fault, dogs do anything to please they're owners and most often mimic they're owners the best they can, so when I hear about some some stupid thread like this of people afraid to walk those little rabbits called dogs it makes me laugh. wats the point of having a dog if it doesn't listen to u?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammus View Post
these all just sound Luke a bunch of yappy little city dogs who bark at everything. maybe all u people need to find less crowded parks, I have a 90lb weimaraner and a 60lb pit/chow mix and I never leash them. they like to explore so I take them through back country woods and frequent visits to dog parks to socialize with other dogs, so when my dogs meet other dogs they kno how to behave. so mabe it's all those people who cage and keep theyre dogs locked up in house all day who r at fault, dogs do anything to please they're owners and most often mimic they're owners the best they can, so when I hear about some some stupid thread like this of people afraid to walk those little rabbits called dogs it makes me laugh. wats the point of having a dog if it doesn't listen to u?
and furthermore leash laws are a joke. who is to tell animals that they can't go be a part of nature. I'd be more worried bout other things that lurk in the woods like pedophiles and those crazy teenagers, they can be waaaay more distructive than my dogs who only want to sniff every spot another dog has ever pissed on and chase every squirrel up a tree. we r imposing on the animals of this earth by chopping down forests and building unstable nuclear facilities and we litter EVERYWHERE. mankind is a disease to this beautiful planet but there is nothing that can he done cuz mankind is superior and thinks it's an evolved spieces when we can't even live on our own planet w/o effing it up. but everyone is worried about an animal that is not leashed !? lmao we have problems. I will continue to walk my dogs unleashed and u better stay out of my way or my dogs will EAT YOU!!! muah ha ha ha and ur lil rabbit dog too!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
I have two large dogs an Akita and terrier mix. Went for our daily walk and a unleashed dog ran out of his backyard barking aggressively and got in my dogs face. It was a small poodle and it did get hurt badly by the time we got them separated. Called the police. We are lisenced and up on our shots. The owners of the poodle were yelling at us name calling and kicked and hit my dogs. They acted as if we were at fault. The police told us that our dogs should not respond to dogs or people at all times. They should do nothing. Seriously, I can't see any dog do nothing. Our dogs were attacked before by American bulldog. Same scenario. Now because we called the police twice and both time were just walking, leashed they are calling them vicious. Not fair , I
Called our lawyer and he said not to worry. But we are concerned. I guess will no longer take our dogs for a walk.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:04 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campflame View Post
I have two large dogs an Akita and terrier mix. Went for our daily walk and a unleashed dog ran out of his backyard barking aggressively and got in my dogs face. It was a small poodle and it did get hurt badly by the time we got them separated. Called the police. We are lisenced and up on our shots. The owners of the poodle were yelling at us name calling and kicked and hit my dogs. They acted as if we were at fault. The police told us that our dogs should not respond to dogs or people at all times. They should do nothing. Seriously, I can't see any dog do nothing. Our dogs were attacked before by American bulldog. Same scenario. Now because we called the police twice and both time were just walking, leashed they are calling them vicious. Not fair , I
Called our lawyer and he said not to worry. But we are concerned. I guess will no longer take our dogs for a walk.
So sorry to hear this. If any dog starts getting close to mine, I start yelling at it to get away. Usually that works. If I see someone who has an unleashed dog I will tell them to keep their dog over there because mine doesn't like other dogs. Unfortunately you have to be proactive to loose dogs. You could also carry water or something to spray a stray dog with to keep it away from your dogs.

Since you have had 2 problems and the police are calling your dogs "vicious" it might be best not to walk them. If it happens again they might seize the dog and put it down, even though it was not your dog's fault.

Hope it all turns out OK for you.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM

80 posts, read 151,485 times
If they force the issue, fight it and go to court. I don't know where you are, but in Colorado, courts have often sided against local animal control on the topic of unleashed dogs vs. leashed dogs and often times rule that the unleashed dog is to blame regardless of which dog gets injured when an unleashed dog charges or goes up to a leashed dog, many times stating in their ruling that the leashed dogs are considered under control and have a right to protect themselves.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campflame View Post
That doesn't seem right to me. I had an Akita mix and some little dog would jump on her FACE. She was like 'girl, PLEASE' and just shook her off but I remember thinking 'God forbid my dog eats this one it won't be her fault or mine'.

In your case the police have a point to a degree. YOU are the packmaster, not your dog. My dog didn't act the way she did by accident. I trained her.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,016 times
It was not your fault. The other dog should have been on a leash and not got near your dog. My mom's dog ran into another dog's yard and got bit. The homeowner paid the vet bill. I think that is bull****. Dogs look out for their territory. Mind you, this was in city limits as well.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
And how many people think small dogs don't need training and let them run absolutely wild, yapping their lungs out?

Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
And how many people think small dogs don't need training and let them run absolutely wild, yapping their lungs out?
They do need training, obviously. Ceaser did an epi on this. How some people with small dogs thinks it's 'cute' when they act aggressive because they are so small. Lunging at the ends of their leashes, barking up a storm, acting like they are going to attack big dogs.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
Campflame ... strange comments coming from law enforcement. A leashed dog who initiates a confrontation is one thing, but a leashed dog who is threatened, or who feels his human is threatened, will always react in some way. No such thing as "do nothing". Reacting to threat, a dog whose instinct is to flee cannot be trained to stand and fight. A dog whose instinct is to stay and protect cannot be trained to flee. Police officers should know that even if they do not have K9s in their department.

Should any of this go further, the outcome depends upon your community's leash laws. In ours, unleashed dogs are permitted on private property, but must always be under control. If someone is walking a leashed dog on public property such as a sidewalk or street and that unleashed dog steps onto that public property, then it isn't which dog is most injured that is the deciding factor regarding fault. It's the location of the encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs