Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 PM

723 posts, read 570,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Personally, I would let a new dog settle into a routine at my house for at least a month before I would introduce him to other dogs. He's got a lot of new things to deal with. I wouldn't add meeting new dogs into the mix right away.
The OP isn't hearing anything we are trying to tell her. Advice and words written out of concern, experience and knowledge are falling on her deaf ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:13 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Friedrik is neither an angel nor a devil. He's a dog, and he's been through a hell of a lot in the short time you've had him. I don't know you personally, so all I can do is comment on your posts this week. And, in all honesty, I am afraid that you are pushing this dog into too much too soon, and any bad outcome is going to be blamed on him. You are not setting him up for success by leaving him with your sister and husband, human strangers, and her two dogs in their house and on their dogs' territory. He won't know what's going on. I can only imagine he might be terrified, and a fearful dog is a dangerous dog, through no fault of his own.

Would it be possible for you to board him at a local kennel someplace or to pay a dog sitter to take care of him in your home? IMO, either option would be better than what you are proposing.

I am hoping for the best, really I am, but I think your expectations in this situation are way off base, and I am dreading your post on September 16th in which you tell us all about the terrible dogfight(s) that Friedrik "started", the injuries and vet bills that were incurred, and how you've decided "angelic" Friedrik is just not the right dog for you.

I hope I'm wrong. I really, really, really do.

If I lived nearby, I would gladly take this dog into my home for the three days you plan to be gone if only to ensure he would be safe, fear and stress free.

Slam me all you want, make excuses, get defensive as you have in previous posts, back pedal, justify, whatever makes you feel good - but I only care about the well being of this dog.
Oh my gosh. I have no desire to slam you, make excuses, get defensive, back-pedal or justify anything. Trust me, you could not conceivably care more about the well-being of my dog than I do. You may be afraid for his welfare, but if you think he would be better off kenneled for three days with complete strangers who will do nothing more than feed and water him than he would be in a home with a huge, fenced yard, where he will be loved, pampered and accepted as one of the family, you are sadly mistaken. (We are, incidentally, going to be leaving him with my sister for a couple of hours before our three-day trip, so it will be his second experience there in under a week.)

I am looking forward to posting when I get back to tell you how well everything went, how happy Friedrik was to see me and my husband, and how well he did with his new furry pals and his Aunt Jill and Uncle Jeff. I'll be getting back the evening of the 17th, so I'll be sure to post then. When you hear how well everything went, I hope you will be willing to think of me in a new light. I really am a capable, compassionate dog-owner, despite what you may think.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Honey, I'm home! Back from my three-day, two-night out-of-town trip. And we had a great time, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Friedrik is neither an angel nor a devil. He's a dog, and he's been through a hell of a lot in the short time you've had him.
Yes, he's been through a lot, but if ever a dog knew he was loved, it's Friederik.

Quote:
I don't know you personally, so all I can do is comment on your posts this week. And, in all honesty, I am afraid that you are pushing this dog into too much too soon, and any bad outcome is going to be blamed on him. You are not setting him up for success by leaving him with your sister and husband, human strangers, and her two dogs in their house and on their dogs' territory. He won't know what's going on. I can only imagine he might be terrified, and a fearful dog is a dangerous dog, through no fault of his own.
And as it turns out, you imagined wrong. Sorry to disappoint you, but there was no bad outcome, thus, nothing to blame on anybody. Nobody was terrified, fearful or dangerous.

Quote:
I am hoping for the best, really I am, but I think your expectations in this situation are way off base, and I am dreading your post on September 16th in which you tell us all about the terrible dogfight(s) that Friedrik "started", the injuries and vet bills that were incurred, and how you've decided "angelic" Friedrik is just not the right dog for you.
I hope your dread didn't cause any loss of sleep. No "terrible dogfights" that either Friederik or Danny (Senior Border Collie), Bonnie (adult German Shepherd-mix) or Ashe (Husky about Friederik's age) started. No terrible dogfights, period. No minor squabbles, period. No vet bills. And no second throughts about "angelic" Friederik. Plus, we also learned that he's going to be okay with cats, since he spent the last three days with two of them.

Quote:
I hope I'm wrong. I really, really, really do.
You know, I have a really, really, really strong hunch you'd have much preferred to be able to say, "I told you so." Sorry, but you'll have to save that little pleasure for another time. Friedrik was delighted to see his dad and mom again, but he did very, very well with his Aunt Jill, Uncle Jeff-the-20-year-veteran-retired-zookeeper, Danny, Bonny, Ashe, Black Cat and Gray Cat. Jill told me he was "no trouble at all" and Jeff said he was "very well-behaved." So, we're all back home and the world as we know it did not end.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-17-2017 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs