Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times

Advertisements

Female Cocker Spaniel mix. 18 mo old.
Only eats being hand fed not from a bowl.
When I do place something on the floor like a treat or Scooby snack, she likes to play with it.
Pouncing on it and jumping around.

She likes to watch animal programs so I have to pretend that I am feeding an animal on TV. Then she eats the kibble.

Likewise, when we are down by the lake, I throw some kibbles to the ducks then she gobbles what's in my hand.

Short of adopting another animal to bring in some competition, is there anything I can do to get her to eat normally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
She is training YOU and you are letting her do it. She needs to learn to eat normally. Do not feed her "snacks" throughout the day. Don't give in if she begs for treats right now. To get her on a schedule, offer her favorite food IN HER BOWL ONLY, in a specific place, at two specific times every day. If she does not eat, remove the bowl/food. Don't just leave it out. She will learn or go hungry. When she does eat properly, praise the heck out of her. She will not starve before she learns.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Start feeding her only in her bowl. It has become a habit for her to eat from your hand only. She will get hungry and eat from her bowl. No treats for now, as you want her to be hungry and motivated to eat from her bowl. It really doesn't have take long for her to learn this...as long as you are consistent.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times
"is there anything I can do to get her to eat normally?"

Yes.
Put food into bowl. Set bowl down for her and walk away. Leave bowl down for 20 minutes. Take bowl up after 20 minutes (even if there is still food in it).
Rinse and repeat at dinner time.
She either isn't hungry enough to want to eat and/or she needs to get on a schedule and/or she associates the "games" you play at meal time with the act of eating.
Either way, stop playing games with her food. Put it down, walk away, and take it up if she hasn't eaten after 20 minutes.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Let your dog be a dog.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
For some reason my pup was like that when he was younger. At the very least I had to through it outside of the bowl for him to eat.

He grew out of it, mainly because he could either eat from the bowl, or not. Eventually he decided the bowl was ok.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 AM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
She is training YOU and you are letting her do it. She needs to learn to eat normally. Do not feed her "snacks" throughout the day. Don't give in if she begs for treats right now. To get her on a schedule, offer her favorite food IN HER BOWL ONLY, in a specific place, at two specific times every day. If she does not eat, remove the bowl/food. Don't just leave it out. She will learn or go hungry. When she does eat properly, praise the heck out of her. She will not starve before she learns.
^^^^ Yes ^^^^

Many people develop bad dog feeding habits because they feel guilty when they eat a snack or meal that Schnookums is 'going without'. Is this part of the problem to some degree?

My 12mo Rotti gives me the 'I'm adorable' puppy eyes when I'm eating food that smells good (He's finally learnt to ignore the sounds of a packet being opened) & I do feel a pang of guilt. I'm not made of stone, lol. I've raised him since 8wo & he's me not so little buddy.

But, I know that I must be 100% consistent for his good (& mine) It's not healthy for dogs to graze.
It's not good for a dog to expect a snack or tid-bit when people eat. I can't stand it when dogs beg & I've even seen dogs take food from kids & others helping themselves off a plate (Can't imagine a CS standing over kids but can be scary if it's a large Rotti who feels entitled)

My grandfather taught me the 20 minute rule. After 20 minutes, remove the food until the next meal time. They will not starve themselves.
At 18mo, she only needs to be fed once a day.

Fasting is really beneficial for dogs. In the wild, dogs often go days without eating. My last Rotti was fasted every 5th or 6th day, so don't feel bad if she goes a day without food.
Don't worry if she becomes a bit lean, it's much healthier than overweight.

My vet has many examples of cats & dogs who were fussy eaters. A raw meaty bone diet fixed the problem. ( Raw Meaty Bones )
There are many benefits to a raw diet. My boy has pearly white teeth, healthy gums & neutral breath (except when he belches in my face) He mainly eats raw chicken carcass, turkey necks, raw green tripe & less often boiled eggs, sardines, raw fish heads, dried pigs ears & dried liver.
Any vegie table scraps are put in the fridge & added to his meal.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:07 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I wouldn't get another dog just to help her eat.

As has been suggested, put the food down, give her a reasonable amount of time to eat it and then pick it up. Do not give her treats or anything else to eat until her next meal time.

Adult dogs should be fed twice a day. There is no reason to fast a dog.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post

Adult dogs should be fed twice a day. There is no reason to fast a dog.
You're basing that opinion on what? Your own personal preference because you see your dog as one of your kids? It's a dog.
Dogs have different requirements than humans.

Approximately 80% of a dogs immunity is found in it's gut.
Fasting helps to create & maintain a strong immune system.
Other benefits include;
-Elevated macrophage activity.
-Increased immunoglobulin levels.
-Increased neutrophil bactericidal activity.
-Heightened monocyte killing & bacterial function.
-Enhanced natural killer cell activity.

But why allow FACTS to get in the way of an opinion that's based in a complete lack of understanding?
I'd much prefer to feed my dog to a regime that keeps him healthy, rather than feeding him according to my dietary requirements (because he's a dog, not a human silly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs