Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Huskies are not territorial and they will run for miles. They are dogs who need very strong and secure fences, and they are happy to let any stranger come in and wander around.

Most of the traditional guarding breeds are very human oriented and not at all suitable to living outside full time. Some of the big livestock guardians can stay outside, but mostly they don't protect against humans.

What has worked for me is a family pet with a dog door. My dog will leave the house periodically and patrol the grounds and then come back in. That doesn't give you full time protection, but local thieves know the dog has access to the yard and they generally don't want to guess about when the dog is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you want the dog to guard property only, or do you also have livestock? Also, are you wanting protection from other animals, or from human intruders?

A Husky probably wouldn't be my first choice for either, but it does matter.

Bingo. We have coyote ever so often, deer jump fence and go into gardens. I have large chicken farm but they are fully fenced. I believe, a pup growing with them will not disturb them later.
So yes, property dog. Guard and protect.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:14 PM

No, no dog inside the house. Got to be breed OK with outside. I have large shed, I can build dog house inside with exit door through the wall. So it's dry and warm.
We will have one of the family present most of the time. Son works from home, wife works night shifts so she's out after 2pm. Out in property.
I am afraid of Caucasians after previous experience. Neighbor across the street has donkeys, she may decide to go guard them. I want something that will be "my home is my castle" type.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:48 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Sounds like Velociraptors would be a good choice.

But seriously, I was thinking German Shepherd and Doberman's, too. I also agree that two would be better than one. One dog gets lonely and looks for trouble...if two are together they will hang out and not feel like they need to go find entertainment.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Raptors eat people. And chickens.
Boy and girl as a pair?
I'll pass on husky, thank you.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Based on what you have said, and on my admittedly limited experience, I would suggest a pair of Great Pyrenees. I knew someone who had them for purposes much like yours. They were able to keep coyotes away, and did not disturb even the free-range chickens and ducks. I do not generally like the idea of keeping dogs exclusively outside, but these two seemed pretty happy - the Pyr is a rather independent breed. They were originally used to guard sheep and goats, and generally encouraged to bond with the flock more than their human handlers. They are not hostile to people, but they can be a bit reserved, and their size should be enough to serve as a warning to any two-legged intruders. The dogs I knew were both girls, and both spayed. I am not sure the sex matters, as long as you spay or neuter. I don't know how they are with fences, as this property was not fenced.

I see someone suggested Dobermans. Forget about them in this role. They are sensitive dogs that, if right in their mind, crave human companionship.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
I second and third JONOV and Catgirl, only if you live in cool climate. My Great pyr would meet all that you speak of. That long coat would not like sweltering heat though, and you said no inside. Mine would come in in the summer, and only go out to use potty. But was certainly a very loyal guard dog, and would kill anything that he thought would harm his family, our cats. (indoors and out)

Last edited by TerraDown; 02-02-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
Huskies are totally unsuitable for guard duty. By nature they are very independent.

Over the years I've owned, trained and spent a lot of time around many different breeds. If I'm looking for a dog to guard my property, I'm a fan of a good, well-bred GSD from German working lines (not American). They will be expensive! Now I know everyone has preferences but many breeds are not what they were 30 years ago and many people who have a "guard" dog think theirs is the best. I can tell you that a good "working" Doberman or Rot is hard to find. I was with a Great Pyr yesterday....nice dog but for whatever reason it had zero guarding instinct. I, a stranger, went into his house and he could care less. With my GSD you wouldn't get in and if somehow by chance you did, it is unlikely you would get out!

Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Great Pyrenees.

Another vote for Great Pyrenees. I was a dog trainer for 25+ years and I always found the Pyrenees to be the most protective guardian dog of all. A family member has 3 of them and, although the dogs know me (and even lived with me for a while), they wont let me on the property unless their owner is there and tells them it's ok.

This relative has horses and other small pets and lives in an area with many coyotes. The Pyrs keep all invaders out.

And, although they're very loving dogs with their owners, they prefer to live outside with the animals and property they're protecting.

They do have heavy coats so are more comfortable in cooler areas. My famkly member cuts their fur short in the summertime.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
If you live in a cold climate during the winter, definitely not a Doberman. With their short hair, they'd freeze and unless they are bred to be guardians or have been professionally trained, they are generally big suckie babies.

Huskies love to kill chickens and small animals, and love to roam, so I'd rule them out too.

I think first you should check out your local pound and see if there are any larger, dogs that the kennel workers can recommend. Explain to the exactly what you want the dog for so it will help them with their recommendation. Kennel workers spend a LOT of time with the dogs and get to know their personalities if the dogs have been there for a while. You might also be saving a pound dog's life. If you have children, make sure they are good around children, which should be your number ONE priority. A child running freely across a field can be a big temptation for a dog to attack or play very roughly with, injuring them, accidentally or not.

Good luck. I hope you find a great dog that will suit your family and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs