Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
The dog might go after a harmless rabbit one time, but the next tangle with a deer, elk, porcupine, coyote, bobcat, cougar, raccoon, who knows what. If the dog harasses livestock it can be SHOT. Just how discerning do you think a loose excited dog is going to be anyway? Add on top of that the dog that's out of sight or earshot?

Lecture over. Its plain irresponsible and inhumane IMHO.
That's why is why it's so important to have a reliable recall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I live very, very remote and take my three dogs on daily hikes. When the youngest chases a rabbit, he seems to run to the next county. Disconcerting trying to find a lost dog.

Today I was thinking that a shock collar that kept them within eyesight would be great.

Again, I live very very remote.
Distance collars are for dogs who are well trained but who need to be trained to work even farther away. The are not meant for this situation

Old 04-01-2018, 07:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
With a few exceptions (the more humane minded people in this thread) this is a disgusting thread. I live for the day shock collars are banned. People seem to think animals don't feel pain. Sick idea, shock collars. Just sick.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:59 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
With a few exceptions (the more humane minded people in this thread) this is a disgusting thread. I live for the day shock collars are banned. People seem to think animals don't feel pain. Sick idea, shock collars. Just sick.
Getting a small shock on the neck once or twice in a lifetime is much less painful than being hit by a car, or even being slapped across the face by a porcupine.

And while invisible fences have their shortcomings, they are still much less painful than roaming loose in the neighborhood and drinking antifreeze, being put to sleep for being accused of biting a child (even if it is a case of mistaken identity), or being hit by a car, and those darn cars seem to be everywhere.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Getting a small shock on the neck once or twice in a lifetime is much less painful than being hit by a car, or even being slapped across the face by a porcupine.

And while invisible fences have their shortcomings, they are still much less painful than roaming loose in the neighborhood and drinking antifreeze, being put to sleep for being accused of biting a child (even if it is a case of mistaken identity), or being hit by a car, and those darn cars seem to be everywhere.
This thread isn't about invisible fences, this thread is about using shock collars to stop a dog running away. A dog who habitually runs away is going to be hit with a shock in the throat way more than "once or twice in a lifetime". And it won't teach the dog a solid recall.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Oh for crying out loud! Have you ever used a remote training collar? Have you even put one on your own neck? No? Then your opinion is not based on anything other than dramatics. Have you ever had chiropractic work or pain management that required the use of a TENS unit? It feels the same damn way. I know because I HAVE put a remote training collar on my own neck before using on my dog. I got mine to almost level 40 before I could perceive a stim - my dog’s working level is 18. Yes, they can be turned up high enough to create discomfort - you can also give a hard enough correction with a collar and leash to create discomfort. You can also kick or beat the hell out of a dog for disobeying, how is banning an effective training collar going to change that? You clearly have no real knowledge of remote collars but I guess you’d rather see a dog hit by a car or killed by another animal (both very painful by the way) than have a sharp stim to remind them they must listen.

Boy, he really did these two dogs a real disservice huh? You can tell how abused and miserable they are “after”, especially Izzy the 4lb Chihuahua!
Will Shock Collar (Electronic Collar) Hurt My Dog Or Affect Their Personality? | Northern Virginia Dog Training Blog

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodDogT...752093615656:0

Maybe check your emotions and use critical thinking.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Those are your only choices eh? Shock the dog, beat the dog, or let the dog get killed.

Ever heard of actually taking the time and effort to train the dog? What a novel idea.

Calling it a "remote training device" doesn't change what it is, or what it does. It shocks the dog with volts of electricity, forcing the dog (supposedly) into compliance.

Humans will have it their way, won't they, regardless of the damage done.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Those are your only choices eh? Shock the dog, beat the dog, or let the dog get killed.

Ever heard of actually taking the time and effort to train the dog? What a novel idea.

Calling it a "remote training device" doesn't change what it is, or what it does. It shocks the dog with volts of electricity, forcing the dog (supposedly) into compliance.

Humans will have it their way, won't they, regardless of the damage done.
You didn’t answer my question - HAVE YOU USED A REMOTE TRAINING COLLAR ON A DOG OR YOURSELF? Many top trainers are TRAINING with remote collars - training and remote collars are not mutually exclusive. Dogs trained with remote collars are happy, enthusiastic, and live their training sessions so these “volts of electricity” () must not be doing too much damage. No one would be able to get a well trained, happy, enthusiastic dog by just “forcing a dog into compliance” with “volts of electricity” so training IS taking place. Any training tool can be abused, including a flat collar and leash. Do you use a leash to keep your dog near you when it would rather run after another animal? Well you are forcing your dog into compliance. While many great trainers use remote collars from the start for training, many others as the last step in training, replacing throw chains. These well trained dogs get to enjoy many more off leash freedoms that dogs trained with less reliably methods do not - like running full speed through a field or forest, chasing squirrels or rabbits, because the owners know they have a solid recall regardless of distractions or desire for a cookie. Your coming from a place of emotions rather than rational thought.

https://youtu.be/TFcEn5zNQxI

Last edited by OttoR; 04-01-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
You didn’t answer my question - HAVE YOU USED A REMOTE TRAINING COLLAR ON A DOG OR YOURSELF? t.
No. I don't believe in causing pain to alter or control behavior.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
This thread isn't about invisible fences, this thread is about using shock collars to stop a dog running away. A dog who habitually runs away is going to be hit with a shock in the throat way more than "once or twice in a lifetime". And it won't teach the dog a solid recall.
And yet, the invisible fence keeps the dog confined by giving him a shock in the neck.

No, dogs who are trained to a shock collar get hit once, twice if they are really stubborn, and then the collar is turned down so it only beeps.

Everyone on this thread has said that a solid recall must be taught before the work at a distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs