Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 PM

19 posts, read 24,764 times

Advertisements

My sister has put dogs in shows. She had 4 different breeds. She today has his your home business grooming dogs. Since she has worked along a vet she knows medical things too.
She even groomed cats but she doesn't want to own one. She mostly owns a dog.
Just to think when growing up not on a farm but a regular house 5-or 6 dogs in a backyard, one house cat, goldfish, 2 parakeets, 1 black rabbit, and a chameleon,. You must be thinking I lived at a zoo.
All these pets were my sisters idea.

I would like to ask to everyone in the pets section what is your favorite dog breed of today?
Did you or your family ever own this breed? If so, do you have experience with this breed?
If you like more than one breed of dog than post a maximum of 5 dog breeds.
There are dog trainers that have many breeds of dogs. When you die don't worry because your dog is there already. Because All Dogs Go To Heaven

Ok who wants to go first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
I don't think I have one favorite breed of dog. There are breeds of dogs I'd like to know better and would love to own, but I don't think I have time/energy for them at this point in my life (and in an upper-floor apartment): English Setter, Leonberger, Bracco Italiano, Rhodesian Ridgeback, and the Silken Windhound (I haven't met this breed, but the photos I've seen look beautiful). I do love the spaniel breeds; and have a senior citizen English Cocker who is the most spoiled dog in the Northeastern U.S.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,802 times
Hard to pick a favorite. As a group, I LOVE the terriers (except one), especially the Kerry Blues, Wire Fox, Welsh Terriers, and Sealyhams. The Black Russians are magnificent! I really love the Irish Setters and English Springer Spaniels. I’ve had an adore Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are so regal and elegant. They aren’t for inexperienced owners but if you’re up for the task, I don’t think you can ask for a better dog. And of course, the Standard Poodle! Wonderful breed! Oh, and if I had a farm, I’d just have to have a PBGV! I don’t really care for any of the Mastiff breeds at all, or the really dog hairy breeds either. Not a fan Rottweilers (they always look angry). Not a fan of the brachy breeds, although Frenchies are sure cute. The only breeds I can say I hate are pit bulls (with a burning passion), Cane Corsos, and Presa Canarios. I like attractive dogs that bring people to you, not repel them (and certainly not kill them).

Old 03-25-2018, 09:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
I have always love the herding breeds, Border collies, Aussies, Cattle dogs and mixes of such but over 9 yrs ago I got a Silken Windhound which is in the sighthound group and I am very taken with him and if I ever get another dog I think I will get another Silken as now that I am older keeping up with the herding breeds is too much work while sighthounds fit my life now. I actually like most dogs but yeah the above are my favorites and what I have owned for years.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We have had many over the years since getting married in 1974, and before that we both had them as kids. Two stand out as the best breeds in our experience. Unfortunately they are both larger dogs, and ten to have shorter lives. The best was a Bernese Mountain Dog. Nothing bothered him, in fact we never heard him bark. If burglars came in, he would probably have showed them where the good stuff was. On walks in public everyone wanted to pet him, and he would just stand still and enjoy it. Second best was a Golden Retriever. Similar personality, but he did bark at and chase squirrels in the back yard. Both also required a lot of brushing, in spring we would get bags of fur, but well worth the effort.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:14 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
My favorite breed is the American Pit Bull Terrier. Yes, my family and myself have owned this breed and I currently own this breed. I have a lot of experience with Pit Bulls. I enjoy training, showing and dog sports with my dogs.

As far as others breeds there are many great breeds and different breeds for different needs. For those I've owned and have experience Caucasian Ovcharka and Kangal are excellent LGDs. The Cane Corso (which ime attracts people like crazy, no matter if its on a walk, at a show, the park, ect) is another of my favorites and currently own.

Since this is 5 max, for the last breed I'm choosing one that I've yet to own at this time. The Jagd Terrier. I very much would love one, it's in the works for the future. Come in a lovely small black and tan package, very drivey dogs as well.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,383,296 times
My current dog is a border collie, and despite his 'issues', I have fallen hopelessly in love with the breed. I love a dog that possesses high intelligence and is capable of working things out on their own (my last dog, an Australian cattle dog mix, was also like this).

However, I also grew up with some dogs who were, let's say, a bit lower in the IQ category (two beagle mixes (one very intelligent, but the other...mental challenges abounded), a Heinz-57 of absolutely no hint of lineage, and a lab who was as goofy as a clown). The dogs who did not present as high on the intelligence scale were just as appealing with their absolutely loveable natures...every one of them were happy as clams and enjoyed life to the fullest, displaying loving temperaments to humans and other animals alike.

All this said, if ever I were to get another dog, I'd be leaning very strongly toward another border collie. Amazing animals, amazing intelligence, and the best companions ever. If not a border, then I'd probably be checking out your plain old everyday mutt from an animal shelter. My cattle dog mix came from the local shelter, and she was the best dog I ever knew...and after meeting many many crossbreeds at the shelter (I volunteered as a dog walker there), I am constantly amazed by the wonderful mixed breeds who, through no fault of their own, wind up without a home.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
I love Great pyrenees, and currently have a puppy. If I could pick another dog, I'd love to have a Saluki.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:31 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I like all breeds and all the muttskies. For my own family dog, I don't want to deal with cropping, docking, clipping, stripping, or excessive grooming or independence. That eliminates a lot of breeds that I like just fine but won't have for my own pet

Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like all breeds and all the muttskies. For my own family dog, I don't want to deal with cropping, docking, clipping, stripping, or excessive grooming or independence. That eliminates a lot of breeds that I like just fine but won't have for my own pet
I hear you with maintenance, I prefer not to have higher maintenance breeds. I just wanted to point out cropping is an optional thing, not a must to own a specific breed. Almost all my dogs are natural, I have only one cropped, my 13 year old. Don't regret it, but been sometime and no real plans to crop again at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs